Could they go with an Opener today and ease Kyle into his first outing of the year?

banks703

I don't know why they don't go with the opener strategy more often. It's more about getting matchups than limiting innings -- whether the SP pitches first or not you can pitch them as long or short as you want. Bradish could start and pitch two innings, or pitch 6 innings out of the pen. 

As a guy with poor splits, Akin is better suited to come in as a reliever when they can control his matchups. 

The pitchers Elias eventually trades for will help shape if we will be a staff where a Game 4 bullpen game is the best we can compete, but for today giving Bradish ease is the main thing and I think that means the same pregame routine he's done his whole life.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't know why they don't go with the opener strategy more often. It's more about getting matchups than limiting innings -- whether the SP pitches first or not you can pitch them as long or short as you want. Bradish could start and pitch two innings, or pitch 6 innings out of the pen. 

As a guy with poor splits, Akin is better suited to come in as a reliever when they can control his matchups. 

Re: opener.  For guys coming back from injury like Bradish (or Means), starting the game (vs relief) allows them to prepare and manage warm ups with known timing in getting ready.  Whereas the RP following the opener may come 20 mins into the game, may come 40 mins into the game…there’s just variance depending upon how the initial innings play out.  Just a variable that would rather not work with when returning from arm troubles.

Edited by Say O!
  • Upvote 1

Irvin hasn't pitched since Saturday. This is basically his start day. As I said in another thread, I think Irvin will kinda piggy back on Bradish's starts for a bit and Suarez could do the same with Means. Personally, I like the idea of flipping a lineup with a L/R duo, and it accomplishes a few other things. We get to stretch Bradish and Means out a bit while also having a starting-caliber pitcher behind them ready to go in case of a short outing. 

I wouldn't expect Bradish or Means to go longer than 5 innings virtually no matter what happens for their first few starts. And it wouldn't surprise me if they only got 10-14 outs for a while, either.

Counter suggestion - no kid gloves/no babying. If he’s healthy enough to join the rotation just let him pitch. He threw 80 pitches his last outing. That is akin to what guys do in Spring Training. 

If he’s hurt or if the joint has tearing that will eventually require surgery, there’s nothing that you can do to avoid what’s inevitable.

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Counter suggestion - no kid gloves/no babying. If he’s healthy enough to join the rotation just let him pitch. He threw 80 pitches his last outing. That is akin to what guys do in Spring Training. 

If he’s hurt or if the joint has tearing that will eventually require surgery, there’s nothing that you can do to avoid what’s inevitable.

Something tells me you are not familiar with the concept of progressive overload. Jumping into the deep end is never the answer. Bradish tearing his UCL is not inevitable at this stage. If anything, chucking him out there for 95 pitches because he pitched 80 last time could only make it worse. Also, the stress of a Spring Training or minor league rehab start is not the same stress as an MLB start against a division opponent with whom you'll be in a year-long division race.

47 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

So he should face Volpe and Judge in the first inning with those poor matchups?  How does that make sense?

12 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Irvin hasn't pitched since Saturday. This is basically his start day. As I said in another thread, I think Irvin will kinda piggy back on Bradish's starts for a bit and Suarez could do the same with Means. Personally, I like the idea of flipping a lineup with a L/R duo, and it accomplishes a few other things. We get to stretch Bradish and Means out a bit while also having a starting-caliber pitcher behind them ready to go in case of a short outing. 

I wouldn't expect Bradish or Means to go longer than 5 innings virtually no matter what happens for their first few starts. And it wouldn't surprise me if they only got 10-14 outs for a while, either.

I like this idea a lot but the Os have shown very little inclination for it in the past. Will be interesting to see how this develops. 

Im just glad Bradish has made it back far enough that it has to be discussed. Hopefully it sticks. 

16 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Something tells me you are not familiar with the concept of progressive overload. Jumping into the deep end is never the answer. Bradish tearing his UCL is not inevitable at this stage. If anything, chucking him out there for 95 pitches because he pitched 80 last time could only make it worse. Also, the stress of a Spring Training or minor league rehab start is not the same stress as an MLB start against a division opponent with whom you'll be in a year-long division race.

Do you think that they would allow him to throw 95 pitches in his first start? How many times have our pitches thrown 100 pitches ALL SEASON?

Just an FYI - I partially tore my rotator cuff 3 years ago. So I am slightly familiar on the subject. But thanks for the assumptions doc!

16 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

So he should face Volpe and Judge in the first inning with those poor matchups?  How does that make sense?

Who is "he", Akin or Bradish? The opener should be a guy who is matchup proof, like a RHP who is good against lefties. Use him for a couple innings, then you bring in your LHP "starter" in relief, and your opponent is locked into their LHB lineup. I'm not really talking about the Yankees series, just wondering if the O's could do this more. So far it's just Tampa and a few others here and there. 

The Yankees have a bad bench and start the same guys all the time so this might not work for them. The O's could be vulnerable because of the O'Hearn/Mountcastle platoon in the middle of our order. See if someone starts a RHP reliever against us and how Hyde deals with the LHP "starter" in relief! 

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Do you think that they would allow him to throw 95 pitches in his first start? How many times have our pitches thrown 100 pitches ALL SEASON?

Just an FYI - I partially tore my rotator cuff 3 years ago. So I am slightly familiar on the subject. But thanks for the assumptions doc!

Sounds contradictory then that you'd even suggest a chuck & pray approach. Just try to be consistent.

27 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I like this idea a lot but the Os have shown very little inclination for it in the past. Will be interesting to see how this develops. 

Im just glad Bradish has made it back far enough that it has to be discussed. Hopefully it sticks. 

I don't think they'll do it either. Just makes some sense in my own mind. They'll let the game dictate their course of action, which is the smart thing to do anyway. Zero sense in creating a plan and sticking to it just because.