On MLB just now the host were asking what should Baltimore give up to get Miller from the A's

Gurgi

31 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nope, just being as ridiculous as trading away Basallo/Mayo + EBJ for a guy that’s been in the majors for 17 relief appearances. The biggest game this dude has ever closed was probably in high school or his freshman year at Waynesburg College in PA. 

How many Major League games have Basallo + Mayo + Bradfield Jr. combined appeared in?

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bautista isn’t even Bautista with 6 years of control. So now we’re expecting Miller to be Bautista plus healthy for 6 years?

Do you expect any Oriole pitcher to be healthy for the next 6 years?

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bautista isn’t even Bautista with 6 years of control. So now we’re expecting Miller to be Bautista plus healthy for 6 years?

What?

Maybe I wasn't clear.  With Miller, you can pair him in the back of the bullpen with Bautista when Bautista comes back.  Miller in the 8th, Bautista in the 9th.  7 inning games.

I'm not sure how many more years Bautista has before free agency, I'm assuming it's 3 or so.  But 3 years of that, sign me up. 

Mason Miller might get hurt, but I'll take that risk.  If you want a bullpen full of guys that throw 100+, some are gonna break down...that's just the reality of MLB right now.  

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Do you expect any Oriole pitcher to be healthy for the next 6 years?

I don't expect any player to be healthy for the next six years.

My base assumption is that something is likely to come up to cause even position players to miss half a season out of every six.

Blown knee, pulled lat, hamstring issues.  Something always seems to come up.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

The Dodgers don't really have any top tier prospects. Yes Dominguez is around the tier prospect that Mayo is, but he is currently injured.

If the Dodgers don't have to surrender any top level prospects and can trade from depth, we should be able to do that as well.

I’m just saying that just  about any contender could put together some enticing package.  Of course, we’re capable of beating any of those.  If our package was Mayo and Bradfield I don’t assume that’s an unbeatable package.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't expect any player to be healthy for the next six years.

My base assumption is that something is likely to come up to cause even position players to miss half a season out of every six.

Blown knee, pulled lat, hamstring issues.  Something always seems to come up.

Or without PEDs they just get old like Hays and Mullins. Former all stars. We might not even want the 6th year with them and they don’t come with a pre-existing UCL injury like Miller. 

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’m just saying that just  about any contender could put together some enticing package.  Of course, we’re capable of beating any of those.  If our package was Mayo and Bradfield I don’t assume that’s an unbeatable package.

I get where you are coming from. 

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Good chance Mayo plays RF or 1B eventually.   Are you convinced he’s going to be significantly better than Kjerstad?  If so, why?

Flashback to taking tests in high school where you had to write your answers and at the end of the question the teacher would write "If so, why?"

Mayo's three years younger.  Other than that, who's to say?  

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Or without PEDs they just get old like Hays and Mullins. Former all stars. We might not even want the 6th year with them and they don’t come with a pre-existing UCL injury like Miller. 

Here’s a question for you Doctor.  Are Bradish and Miller considered players with existing injuries or players whose injuries have healed?

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Good chance Mayo plays RF or 1B eventually.   Are you convinced he’s going to be significantly better than Kjerstad?  If so, why?

Key word being "significantly." I would say his strike zone discipline is at worst on par with Kjerstad's right now and he's like 3 years younger. I'd say he's got a pretty good shot at being better than Kjerstad.

Correction: 3 years younger. The point remains, he's a lot younger and pretty advanced.

Edited by Hank Scorpio

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Key word being "significantly." I would say his strike zone discipline is at worst on par with Kjerstad's right now and he's like 5 years younger. I'd say he's got a pretty good shot at being better than Kjerstad.

Kjerstad is 3 years older.   I think there’s a chance that Mayo is better in the long run but it’s certainly no slam dunk as far as I’m concerned.

Now, if Mayo was a decent 3B I’d be more inclined to give the significant edge to him but that doesn’t seem likely on this team unless Elias likes my ideas which seems even less likely.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Kjerstad is 3 years older.   I think there’s a chance that Mayo is better in the long run but it’s certainly no slam dunk as far as I’m concerned.

No, def not a slam dunk. And yes, I corrected the post - I just think they're similar players right now and Mayo's a lot younger. 

39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd drive HK to the airport for Miller.

I didn't realize you were so high on DeLeon.  How come?

I would as well, but I don't see the A's making that trade without the Orioles throwing in a pitcher prospect. Mayo and Basallo are a nonstarter for me unless we're turning this into a trade where the A's and Orioles both trade multiple players.

Mayo also looks like a much better defensive prospect than Kjerstad. It seems like the O’s still have hope that Mayo can play 3rd, but it doesn’t seem like they want to see Kjerstad anywhere in the field. I would definitely trade Kjerstad for Miller.

Unfortunately, I doubt the A’s would want Kjerstad all that much anyway due to his age. Does a package of Beavers, Baumeister, and a young guy like Sosa or Almeyda get it done? Maybe not, but I’d imagine if the A’s are trading Miller they’d be looking further into the future and would want younger prospects than Kjerstad. I’d also imagine they’d want a pitcher in the trade too.