Mayo > Urias?

Only Jackson Holliday's false start makes Mayo-Urias a thing in this chapter.

Holliday and Mayo are both meant for Fall 2024 lineups, right?

Westburg and Holliday are Gunnar's wingmen, and Mayo is in the mix down the defensive spectrum.

Westburg is now 365 PA along holding a 4.3 WAR/162 pace - that's enough to keep him above the Chris Taylor 5 days a week kind of section of his range of outcomes.

I'd guess by September Mayo is more dangerous to Rodon/Nestor than O'Hearn of course, but perhaps also Kjerstad/Cowser as well.     Games 157-159 are at Yankee Stadium and toss up if things are clinched.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

The Mayo Arm Debate has to stop. Who cares?? 

Well, if he can play RF well, you would rather have the arm out there but yea, I think if he’s best suited for first, you don’t square peg/round hole him because he has a good arm.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I don’t care about his arm. I care about his bat.  In other words, however they get him into the lineup is what is most important imo.

Chris Davis had a great arm too. 

I think the ideal role for Mayo is going to be some RF, some first and some DH. More RF than first once Basallo is here.

Well, I mean, the arm is quite important however. And I agree it would be a greater log jam in the infield with Westy, Holliday, Henderson, Mountcastle and Mayo. We are still a year away from Mayo joining the team and potentially Holliday too. Mateo has played well enough to keep Holliday down a bit longer but we will know a lot more in July as to what the options are for this year and the future. I still think Mayo can stick at third. I wish Mayo was left handed. That’d make this so much easier!

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, if he can play RF well, you would rather have the arm out there but yea, I think if he’s best suited for first, you don’t square peg/round hole him because he has a good arm.

Sure. It's just not really a thing we need to think about for this year with the team as stacked as it is. Just put him wherever you can for right now. 

1 hour ago, Explosivo said:

Offensively, yes, but Mayo has a similar number of errors as he does homers so he really has work to do with the glove. His time will come but right now, Urias is the better option.

At last peak, Mayo had 5 errors at 3b..and 11 HR. 

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

How bad can his defense be, honestly? Is he pulling Buckners every other play? Throwing the ball into right field? No range? 

All I hear about is how atrocious his defense is. I have to know just how bad if Urias is a better option overall. Its not like Urias is Brooks Robinson out there. 

It's easy to say "Well, there will be errors..." but look at what we're accustomed to this season,

2024 Infield Errors

Gunnar - 3

Mateo - 3

Urias - 1

Westburg - 0

Mountcastle - 1

Holliday - 0

I had this discussion with @Bemorewins

If, and it’s a big IF, Mayo is called up and plays a good 3B (average or better) AND hits that’s a good thing.  Yes, it creates a lot of questions moving forward but we should hope this happens.   If it does happen it gives Elias a lot of options and ONE of those options is converting Westburg or Holliday to CF with the other at 2B as soon as OD 2025.  It’s not as crazy as it might sound.   They both have the speed for the position and both have better arms than Cedric.   Many SS (Westburg and Holliday have roots as SS) have been converted to CF before.   Adam Jones.   And most recently with the Padres taking their top SS prospect Jackson Merrill and doing it this year with great success.

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

At last peak, Mayo had 5 errors at 3b..and 11 HR. 

And another 3 errors at first base. So he’s bad defensively wherever you put him right now. He will improve but it’s going to take some time.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I had this discussion with @Bemorewins

If, and it’s a big IF, Mayo is called up and plays a good 3B (average or better) AND hits that’s a good thing.  Yes, it creates a lot of questions moving forward but we should hope this happens.   If it does happen it gives Elias a lot of options and ONE of those options is converting Westburg or Holliday to CF with the other at 2B as soon as OD 2025.  It’s not as crazy as it might sound.   They both have the speed for the position and both have better arms than Cedric.   Many SS (Westburg and Holliday have roots as SS) have been converted to CF before.   Adam Jones.   And most recently with the Padres taking their top SS prospect Jackson Merrill and doing it this year with great success.

I think Westy can play wherever and would do so happily as that’s just the type of player and person he is, but he’s a natural in the infield my friend, as is Holliday at second. Cowser can play center.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

I think Westy can play wherever and would do so happily as that’s just the type of player and person he is, but he’s a natural in the infield my friend, as is Holliday at second. Cowser can play center.

So, if Mayo can play an average or better 3B and hit 30 bombs a year you’d prefer him where?

And if Cowser plays CF who is your LF next year?

Edited by RZNJ

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

Is it though? He looks like’s swinging a 50 lb. bat. He’s aging so badly, I don’t think he’ll ever sniff a .700 OPS in his career again. 

Of course it is. While it's possible he lost the ability to hit overnight, it's much more likely that he's still a 100 OPS+ guy, +/- a few points. It would be somewhat unusual for a player to just lose it before his 30th birthday unless there's an underlying injury.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

So, if Mayo can play an average or better 3B and hit 30 bombs a year you’d prefer him where?

Well that’s a big if for one, but I’d use Westy to platoon with Holliday and give Mayo and Henderson days off defensively as well. Keeps everyone well rested and ensures matchups depending on the pitching. But moving Westy to CF is insane honestly. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s aging so badly?  What an awful take.

He has had a bad 55 at bats this year.  What other evidence do you have that he is “aging badly”?

He had an OpS over 700 for the second half and it was in the mid 700s in September of last year, with a really strong OBP.

So, it’s not like he was garbage for most of last year heading into the offseason and is continuing to struggle.  This is just a SSS of awful production.

His bat is slow and his legs are slow. That’s not a sign of good aging. He’ll be out of baseball in 2 years, max. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Well that’s a big if for one, but I’d use Westy to platoon with Holliday and give Mayo and Henderson days off defensively as well. Keeps everyone well rested and ensures matchups depending on the pitching. But moving Westy to CF is insane honestly. 

I said it was a big if.  You call moving Westburg or Holliday to CF insane but then you have Westburg as the short side of a platoon at 2B and giving Mayo and Gunnar rest days.    That’s more insane.

P.S.  And you’ve also turned Holliday into a platoon player.  Would you like to re-think this?

Edited by RZNJ