Bullpen Strategy for the 12:15 Restart

They need someone with starter experience to finish the game.  It's essentially a start.  I like the idea of going to Irvin and hoping he can go the distance and save the pen for game 2.  Don't see any better approach. 

Just now, emmett16 said:

They need someone with starter experience to finish the game.  It's essentially a start.  I like the idea of going to Irvin and hoping he can go the distance and save the pen for game 2.  Don't see any better approach. 

I think they'll go Irvin and if we get a lead, Kimbrel in the 9th. He's rested. Cano/Coulombe for the save in the second game. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gunnar said:

I had the same thought this morning.  According to this site we do get a 27th man today, but only for the second game:

https://fansided.com/posts/mlb-27th-man-rule-explained#:~:text=An MLB team can only,one day down the line.

In other cases, teams can call up a 27th man when they are completing a previously suspended game and have another game following the completion of the suspended game.

The 27th man is not eligible to play in the suspended game. They are only eligible to play in the originally scheduled game.

Sweet, we get to see David Banuelos again

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd be down for Irvin for the rest of the game depending on if he's recovered.  

Whatever it is, someone's gotta go over an inning and Hyde can't do his typical "one pitcher for one inning" crap.

Not to mention brining in a pitcher to finish one batter, end the inning, and then brining in a different pitcher to start the next inning, presumably for matchup reasons, but that’s a pretty minor reason to burn two pitchers. 

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

Hyde is going to burn through the pen in game 1 because that’s what he does. I’d be surprised if Irvin pitched more than 1 inning. 

I really didn’t want to be right about this one. 

Y'all don't understand that Hyde is playing three-dimensional chess.  By telling Akin to give up a two-run homer in the 6th, he avoided having to cover the bottom of the ninth and gained bullpen superiority for the second game.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

He used 2 pitchers. 

At the time I posted he used 2 pitchers for 4 outs. It looked like he was going to burn through the pen like he always does. 

Just now, dystopia said:

At the time I posted he used 2 pitchers for 4 outs. It looked like he was going to burn through the pen like he always does. 

He might have if we didn't give up the lead, so I'll give you that! 

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

This is why you don't post predictions before the game is complete. Seems perfectly logical to play it like a tie game, which it was, until it wasn't. No harm done (to the bullpen) except losing Webb. 

I posted this on the FB group. 

Keegan Akin is terrible wtih runners on. As is Jacob Webb. Webb does well against lefties, Gorman does better against righties. So, the question becomes: do you take him out? I say - yes. The question is also: is Keegan Akin the right person? I say no. 

It should have been Coulombe. He's nails with runners on base. He's excellent against lefties.

Not hard to figure that Gorman is the guy that is going to beat you in this series.  Watching his abs on Monday and yesterday, you could see he was comfortable, he has been a streaky hitter for his career. Akin is not dominate against LH hitters.

18 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I posted this on the FB group. 

Keegan Akin is terrible wtih runners on. As is Jacob Webb. Webb does well against lefties, Gorman does better against righties. So, the question becomes: do you take him out? I say - yes. The question is also: is Keegan Akin the right person? I say no. 

It should have been Coulombe. He's nails with runners on base. He's excellent against lefties.

If we didn't have another game today it's probably Coulombe. Between Webb and Akin, I don't have a strong preference but I am confident the matchup was determined prior to gametime and was quite intentional even if it didn't work out.