O's Acquire Thyago Vieira

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t understand why everyone is so offended.  We traded for a guy with a live arm lotto ticket and got him into a game that we won 11-3. 

Go back and read the threads about Webb, Perez, Suarez, Irvin, Coloumbe, O’Hearn, Urias, and Mateo, when we acquired them. Hilarious. 

The player we traded, Stallings, was going nowhere with us. So we essentially flipped a guy that was topped out in AAA, for a younger A ball pitcher, while also picking up a flier on a guy that throws high 90s. Geez, maybe we take back that GM of the year award from Elias. 

The biggest development out of this is that we probably don’t see Vespi on the shuttle again for a bit because he’s already been optioned 4 times this year. The next time would be 5, meaning he’d have to clear waivers. So get ready for Matt Krook, or Kaleb Ort. 

Also, we had two SP hit the IL. So Elias made a little move for a flier. 😂. Man, the Facebook site can at least laugh at themselves. 

Wait, who is offended? Did I miss where people are up and arms over this trade. I think most of us know this was probably more about the lottery ticket prospect assigned to the FCL than Vieira. 

Of course Stallings was not a real prospect, but I'll be honest, when his change up is on, he would at least eat some innings vs Vieira who can't land a strike. 

I expect Vieira to be DFA'd shortly. His stat cast data shows his stuff is not really that good anyways despite the velocity. He's like a worse version of Fuji. 

Either way, I see people discussing the trade not being "offended" over this trade.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t understand why everyone is so offended.  We traded for a guy with a live arm lotto ticket and got him into a game that we won 11-3. 

Go back and read the threads about Webb, Perez, Suarez, Irvin, Coloumbe, O’Hearn, Urias, and Mateo, when we acquired them. Hilarious. 

The player we traded, Stallings, was going nowhere with us. So we essentially flipped a guy that was topped out in AAA, for a younger A ball pitcher, while also picking up a flier on a guy that throws high 90s. Geez, maybe we take back that GM of the year award from Elias. 

The biggest development out of this is that we probably don’t see Vespi on the shuttle again for a bit because he’s already been optioned 4 times this year. The next time would be 5, meaning he’d have to clear waivers. So get ready for Matt Krook, or Kaleb Ort. 

Also, we had two SP hit the IL. So Elias made a little move for a flier. 😂. Man, the Facebook site can at least laugh at themselves. 

I don’t care about whether he has a live arm.
Jason Garcia had a live arm and he was horrible. Mike Wright Junior had a live arm and he was horrible.

It is irresponsible to pick up a live arm that is terrible and put it in a major league game, especially when you already have somebody better who will need to be sacrificed in order to put the terrible guy on the mound.

Nobody cares about picking him up and nobody cares what we gave up for him. people care that he was put on the 26 man roster, he was absolutely embarrassing in a major league game against one of our historical rivals, and reading another comment, I just found out that Vespi is now out of options and can’t be brought up or sent down without waivers. So in addition to adding a useless, horrible embarrassing player, he made it harder to use a better player.

That’s just irresponsible leadership.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I don’t care about whether he has a live arm.
Jason Garcia had a live arm and he was horrible. Mike Wright Junior had a live arm and he was horrible.

It is irresponsible to pick up a live arm that is terrible and put it in a major league game, especially when you already have somebody better who will need to be sacrificed in order to put the terrible guy on the mound.

Nobody cares about picking him up and nobody cares what we gave up for him. people care that he was put on the 26 man roster, he was absolutely embarrassing in a major league game against one of our historical rivals, and reading another comment, I just found out that Vespi is now out of options and can’t be brought up or sent down without waivers. So in addition to adding a useless, horrible embarrassing player, he made it harder to use a better player.

That’s just irresponsible leadership.

Just a note about Vespi - you're incorrect. Options are spent for the full season, so after this season he will officially be out of them. He can be recalled up to 5 times this season with his final option. So we can recall him 3 more times I think. 

• Thanks 1

The Orioles so rarely have a big lead late in games that the situation challenges those of us on the Game Thread to find something to carp about. Vieira stepped up as the obvious target.

I was pretty disappointed by his outing, maybe because I had the wrong idea about Vieira. All I knew about him was his background and that he threw hard. I guess I just assumed that a guy who was brought in to eat innings when the bullpen was busy would be a strike-thrower who might get knocked around a little but eventually would throw three or six outs. 

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Wait, who is offended? Did I miss where people are up and arms over this trade. I think most of us know this was probably more about the lottery ticket prospect assigned to the FCL than Vieira. 

Of course Stallings was not a real prospect, but I'll be honest, when his change up is on, he would at least eat some innings vs Vieira who can't land a strike. 

I expect Vieira to be DFA'd shortly. His stat cast data shows his stuff is not really that good anyways despite the velocity. He's like a worse version of Fuji. 

Either way, I see people discussing the trade not being "offended" over this trade.

See the post directly below your post made by @Philiphaha. “Irresponsible”. I’d say that’s pretty “offended”. With all due respect @Tony-OH .

I like what our pitching lab can do. We had Yohan Ramirez looking so good after his short stint that he got snatched up. Baumann netted us a top 30 catching prospect. 

We may DFA Vieira without seeing him again, or we may give him another look. The Rays do these types of moves all the time with relievers. Armstrong, Poche, Stephenson. The Dodgers did it with Ryan Brasier. Sometimes you can catch lightning in a bottle with a reliever. Vieira isn’t our postseason move but I like that we took a chance on that arm. Similar to the Fuji move last year. 

How many dudes that throw 100 were available in a trade last week?  How many were available for a guy in Stallings that was gonna leave in the offseason anyways has a 6 year milb FA?

This was well worth the chance. 

Also, Vieira had terrible command, but it’s also a factor that he hadn’t pitched in 8 days because he was in DFA limbo. Let’s give this staff some side sessions with him before we judge too much. Leave that to Bob Haynie on 105.7.

Looking at this dude’s pitch mix, I could see us having him ditch the sinker, which he can’t command, and becoming more of a 4 seamer/sweeper guy like Yohan Ramirez. We tend to like that profile. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

Was at the game yesterday and Vieira did throw hard. And a couple were close. But I did notice Hyde getting agitated. On the last walk Hyde was out of the dugout before the ball was in Adleys mitt. 

I was wondering why Brandon Hyde allowed him to face five batters instead of the minimum three?

Just now, Philip said:

I was wondering why Brandon Hyde allowed him to face five batters instead of the minimum three?

Because we had an 11-run lead, he didn’t have anyone warmed up and he probably really wanted to rest the other guys in the bullpen.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

See the post directly below your post made by @Philiphaha. “Irresponsible”. I’d say that’s pretty “offended”. With all due respect @Tony-OH .

I like what our pitching lab can do. We had Yohan Ramirez looking so good after his short stint that he got snatched up. Baumann netted us a top 30 catching prospect. 

We may DFA Vieira without seeing him again, or we may give him another look. The Rays do these types of moves all the time with relievers. Armstrong, Poche, Stephenson. The Dodgers did it with Ryan Brasier. Sometimes you can catch lightning in a bottle with a reliever. Vieira isn’t our postseason move but I like that we took a chance on that arm. Similar to the Fuji move last year. 

How many dudes that throw 100 were available in a trade last week?  How many were available for a guy in Stallings that was gonna leave in the offseason anyways has a 6 year milb FA?

Also, Vieira had terrible command, but it’s also a factor that he hadn’t pitched in 8 days because he was in DFA limbo. Let’s give this staff some side sessions with him before we judge too much. Leave that to Bob Haynie on 105.7. 

I don’t think “offended” is synonymous with “irresponsible”
I do think it was irresponsible to let him pitch based on his track record.

I do think the target of the trade was the young fellow, and they just agreed to take on Viera’s salary.

It was clearly irresponsible, ESPECIALLY in hindsight, to put him on the 26-man roster and let him pitch. He accomplished nothing, but reasonably he couldn’t have done anything else.

The responsible thing to do was DFA him, knowing he would pass through, and then stick him somewhere where you can work on his stuff.

And if he gets claimed, well you’ve lost nothing except the 500k

We did win the game but that wasn’t ever really in doubt. We didn’t save any relievers, and the team treated us to an extremely embarrassing inning.

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't feel like they fixed Yohan Ramirez.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Because we had an 11-run lead, he didn’t have anyone warmed up and he probably really wanted to rest the other guys in the bullpen.  

Well, we saw how THAT turned out.

I don’t think I’m being too hard on Mike, and I don’t think I’m being unreasonable, but I do stand by everything I said.

Putting Viera on the 26 man over Vespi, knowing his track record and how likely he was to fail, was irresponsible.

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

As soon as he walked the 3rd guy, Hyde got Perez up throwing the pen. It took a few for him to be ready. It took shorter than normal as well because he had already been up throwing earlier.

2 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

As soon as he walked the 3rd guy, Hyde got Perez up throwing the pen. It took a few for him to be ready. It took shorter than normal as well because he had already been up throwing earlier.

OK, thank you, but why didn’t he get a reliever up after the first guy? It took him three walks to realize that it was a bad idea to stick him in?

That’s kind of rhetorical, no need to reply.

30 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Looking at this dude’s pitch mix, I could see us having him ditch the sinker, which he can’t command, and becoming more of a 4 seamer/sweeper guy like Yohan Ramirez. We tend to like that profile. 

So you genialized the board over one poster vs addressing that poster?

This guy throws hard hit doesn’t get a lot of Ks and doesn’t miss bats and he’s 31.

There is little hope for him to become anything but of they can store him in AAA and try to work with him down there, that’s fine.

He wouldn’t be the first out of nowhere guy to become a good reliever but it’s not something we should expect.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well, we saw how THAT turned out.

I don’t think I’m being too hard on Mike, and I don’t think I’m being unreasonable, but I do stand by everything I said.

Putting Viera on the 26 man over Vespi, knowing his track record and how likely he was to fail, was irresponsible.

I find that comment preposterous.  The guy’s “track record” consists of 51 innings spread out over 5 years with a 3-year stint in Japan in between.  Giving a guy with a live arm like that a couple of chances at the last spot in the bullpen is hardly “irresponsible,” whether or not it works out.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1