My biggest question entering the season

Just now, Bemorewins said:

What "signs" would be reasonable to expect to see as it relates to Rubenstien's intentions of spending?

He said at the outset of his opening statements that he wanted to bring a World Series championship back to Baltimore. That is MUCH MORE than the previous owner ever said when he talked about bringing concerts to Baltimore and hoping to operate like the Rays, Brewers, Guardians (all low budget/cheap teams). 

How many times have you been to the stadium this season? I have been to several games and I have seen Rubenstein at all of them. Again that is much more than JA ever in showed interest in doing.

As a matter of fact, the Orioles called me last week to discuss my customer experience and me potentially increasing my season tix package. That is MUCH MORE than they ever did under JA. When I sent an email complaining of the meh signing of Frazier in the 23' offseason, the Orioles removed me from their email list. Now they are VERY responsive to my concerns with emails and personal phone calls. That in and of itself is enough for me to see that times are changing for the better!

So did the Angelo’s say in comparison that they didn’t want to bring a World Series to the Orioles? 🤣

Billionaires say a lot of things. I don’t trust any of them.

Trivial as a baseball game is in my life, I find it rude that my happiness regarding my team the Baltimore Orioles depends on one single owner who might end up being cheap or a jerk or something. I wish there was a better way.

14 minutes ago, Phil Beckett said:

I’m kind of proud that I don’t know every teeny tiny bit of data about the game baseball, I have a life otherwise. Here you are early in the morning arguing with people you don’t even know about baseball. Yeah you’re a sports guy alright. 
🤣

You come on here, act like a total douchebag spouting about sh!t you don’t know about but rant anyway.  

You were asked, what FA should we have signed.  You don’t even know.  You rant about the payroll  but you don’t know how it works or want to know.

Basically, you just want to bitch and moan like some worthless college kid at a protest who doesn’t know anything except that “others are doing it”.

I bet if the Os all of a sudden paid Gunnar and Adley 25M each this year, you would be fine with the payroll..yet the Os have them for 750K.  You clearly don’t understand finances, money or math.  Just let the adults speak.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Norby had a 109 wRC+ last year in AAA (with a .347 BABIP). He has a K% over 30% this year and has a wRC+ of 130 that is aided by a .402 BABIP. He can probably out perform Hays and Urias at the plate right now but I’m not sure he’s a real solution considering he’s not a good fielder. 

If we need another RH bat to replace Hays (and one that can play the OF), Taylor Ward and Mark Canha could be good adds. They probably need a LHH to platoon with Mateo if they are moving on from Urias - let’s hope that Holliday can be that guy. 

Good point.  I think the offensive environment in AAA is making some players look more promising than they actually are.

3 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Norby had a 109 wRC+ last year in AAA (with a .347 BABIP). He has a K% over 30% this year and has a wRC+ of 130 that is aided by a .402 BABIP. He can probably out perform Hays and Urias at the plate right now but I’m not sure he’s a real solution considering he’s not a good fielder. 

If we need another RH bat to replace Hays (and one that can play the OF), Taylor Ward and Mark Canha could be good adds. They probably need a LHH to platoon with Mateo if they are moving on from Urias - let’s hope that Holliday can be that guy. 

I’d rather not use resources to trade for a position player.  We need to put all the resources into the pen.

I think we have enough offense, especially once Mayo gets back, from the right side.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Damn shame there were no computer labs in the early 80's, at least in NY Public Schools.

I played chess with a travel board or read.

We did get a fancy IBM computer lab in the late 80's but we weren't allowed to hang out there.  The teachers had to book it.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Good point.  I think the offensive environment in AAA is making some players look more promising than they actually are.

My only pushback to this is that Norby has always hit and he entered the org with a rep as a good hitter.  I think this applies for the journeyman AAAA guys but perhaps not the real prospects.

Of course, there’s only one way to find that out.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

You come on here, act like a total douchebag spouting about sh!t you don’t know about but rant anyway.  

You were asked, what FA should we have signed.  You don’t even know.  You rant about the payroll  but you don’t know how it works or want to know.

Basically, you just want to bitch and moan like some worthless college kid at a protest who doesn’t know anything except that “others are doing it”.

I bet if the Os all of a sudden paid Gunnar and Adley 25M each this year, you would be fine with the payroll..yet the Os have them for 750K.  You clearly don’t understand finances, money or math.  Just let the adults speak.

Yes, when it comes to the importance of how I am on a chat room that’s about baseball, I can be a complete douche bag! One of the worst! 

And not feel guilty one bit! Because it’s a silly game. I have important things in my life that I get serious about.

Heck I can even be a fanatic and say irrational things like

kill the ump!

In the spirit of the GAME baseball.

And then….you guys??? 😵‍💫

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

My only pushback to this is that Norby has always hit and he entered the org with a rep as a good hitter.  I think this applies for the journeyman AAAA guys but perhaps not the real prospects.

You can be good hitter but not have a ton of value when you factor in the defense.

I'm not saying he sucks just he looks to be a guy.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Pure speculation time.

I think that the fact that Norby has not been called up and that other teams have not been enticed enough by him to finalize a trade for him indicates that they have questions about the bat translating well enough to cover for the glove.

He can hit in AAA, but can he hit well enough in the majors to be valuable as a bat first guy?

Thats more than speculation, that’s just making stuff up. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think Norby is a guy they've tried to move and probably hasn't garnered a lot of traction as a real piece. He's still young, and you're right, he's always hit but the glove is probably making him a much less attractive option in trade value.

1 minute ago, Phil Beckett said:

So did the Angelo’s say in comparison that they didn’t want to bring a World Series to the Orioles? 🤣

Billionaires say a lot of things. I don’t trust any of them.

Trivial as a baseball game is in my life, I find it rude that my happiness regarding my team the Baltimore Orioles depends on one single owner who might end up being cheap or a jerk or something. I wish there was a better way.

John Angelos scoffed at the idea of resigning/extending Rutschman last year on Opening Day and hard a sharp negative reaction to the notion of doing extensions for young stars. He NEVER stated publicly that he was even interested in the contending, let alone winning a championship.

If the owner as the leader of the organization does chart the course and set the bar with a World Series being the goal, then how can anyone else under him do that?

Yes billionaires are people and thus they are very capable of lying. But as of yet, Rubenstien hasn't done that. ANd he has shown in his life before becoming owner of the Orioles that he is not afraid to spend significant money or even give large amounts of it away to philanthropic endeavors. I am not going to judge the man or participate in any "public outcry" campaign without giving him a chance to see what he might do.

I want to ask you again why you signed up for this site over 10 years ago and then waited until this season to begin posting about how cheap the owner is? Why were you silent during all of JA's awfulness? 

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

I think Norby is a guy they've tried to move and probably hasn't garnered a lot of traction as a real piece. He's still young, and you're right, he's always hit but the glove is probably making him a much less attractive option in trade value.

Yea the glove is likely the issue and I’m guessing he hasn’t gotten brought up yet because they need to see more out of him in the OF.

But the bat should play.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’d rather not use resources to trade for a position player.  We need to put all the resources into the pen.

I think we have enough offense, especially once Mayo gets back, from the right side.

I agree that I would rather not do that as well. And I’m sure Elias feels the same. But there’s certainly a hole against LHP’s in the outfield right now, since Mullins can’t hit them, Hays has been awful, and Cowser has an 81 wRC+ against LHP’s. Even against RHP’s, Hays has again been awful, Mullins has been bad as well, and Santander hasn’t hit well from the left side.

Canha would be a rental and Ward would give them some insurance next year if they lose Santander/Hays and Mullins continues struggling. Canha has reverse splits but they are both comfortably above league average at the plate in their careers against both RHP’s and LHP’s.