One-third of the way through, the O’s are on a 105-win pace

Frobby

Overall so far I'd give the starting rotation an A. (Before today, 4th in MLB in ERA and 3rd in fWAR.)

The position player core an overall B. The end results are strong but points docked for a notable dropoff in May and for several key contributors really struggling. (6th in MLB in wRC+ and fWAR, defense that's solid but probably not elite.)

The bullpen a C. They are average on a team where everything else is above average. (15th in ERA, 17th in fWAR)

Posted (edited)

Last year at this point, the O’s were 34-20, and had outscored their opponents 265-236.  This year they’re 35-19 and have outscored opponents 272-203.  They’re on pace to outscore their opponents by 207 runs.  That’s elite.  

Now, I don’t expect the O’s to kept up this pace.  The schedule ahead is tougher than the one behind, and they have a grueling month on their doorstep.  But they’re an excellent team and I’m looking forward to the next 54 games just as much as I enjoyed these last 54.

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

They've overtaken LAD and ATL for MLB's best record in a 1.33 year period.

I'm excited to see them get to play more of MLB's other best teams in the upcoming run.

The calendar month of June with the 17th alone off feels peculiar, and we'll see soon if Kremer's present stint is as load management-y as Grayson's was....they can surely use his help getting through it.     At least that off day is the eve of the Yankee Stadium series.

• Upvote 1

It seems to me they should probably change their approach or the season will end up a disaster.  It’s frankly unexplainable they haven’t demoted/traded/DFA’d the players that aren’t performing.  It’s a joke management thinks this group of players has any chance of winning anything.  Imagine if they could just walk more..

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

It seems to me they should probably change their approach or the season will end up a disaster.  It’s frankly unexplainable they haven’t demoted/traded/DFA’d the players that aren’t performing.  It’s a joke management thinks this group of players has any chance of winning anything.  Imagine if they could just walk more..

Have you seen the lineups? They are a joke. Hyde has to go too.  

😎 Insomnia in progress. 

Edited by Ohfan67
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Have you seen the lineups? They are a joke. Hyde has to go too.  

😎 Insomnia in progress. 

Have you seen the game threads?  We're never going to make the post season w/ those kind of fans.  We might as well just give them all pink hats.

29 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Have you seen the game threads?  We're never going to make the post season w/ those kind of fans.  We might as well just give them all pink hats.

I only visit the game threads a few times a season. Threads vary from rational and analytical to almost pure emotion. The game threads are the most emotional. It’s therapy for many, but not fun for me so I mainly avoid them. I think that’s part of the beauty of what Tony has created with the OH. The game threads are a good emotional release for some. The game threads have probably reduced the number of TV remotes that have been thrown across living rooms. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m glad that stupid swept streak was “broke”. 

Now MASN has a new shtick.  The O’s haven’t lost a series to an AL East opponent in the last 18 series (13-0-5).  I’m happy to keep that one going ad infinitum.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2