The 2024 Trade Deadline

14 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

Ray DF'd Harold Ramirez, is there any interest? He is hitting .268 and only 29 years old. Only has 1 Homer. He'll probably be claimed before we have a chance.

I have my doubts.  He hits lefties well, but seems limited defensively as an outfielder.  More of a DH type, and we have many already.

15 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

29 innings.  

So, the 42 innings as a starter is a large enough sample size, but the 29 innings in relief is too small of a sample size to draw any conclusions?

That is 25 relief appearances. That is pretty significant.

Are you really arguing otherwise?

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

So, the 42 innings as a starter is a large enough sample size, but the 29 innings in relief is too small of a sample size to draw any conclusions?

That is 25 relief appearances. That is pretty significant.

Are you really arguing otherwise?

I was  actually referring to the 355.1 IP in minors of 5.2 BB/9 while he was a starter.  

Edited by emmett16

It's funny, but many pitchers we discuss as trade targets come with injury concerns or are playing above career norms.  I feel that Elias is risk averse, though I can't say that for sure.  Regardless, we'll see how it plays out.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

The O's, Yankees and Brewers are discussed as potential spots for Jesus Luzardo. Not much here, but it's something.

Just as a reminder, Luzardo will not be a FA until after the 2026 season.
2024 Contract Status: Signed thru 2024, 1 yr/$5.5M (24), Service Time (01/2024): 3.165  •  Arb Eligible: 2025  •  Free Agent: 2027

Jesus Luzardo's Ceiling
David Frerker-USA TODAY Sports

In 2024, Luzardo has pitched to a lackluster 5.30 ERA across 56 innings. However, he recorded a 3.32 ERA in 2022 and 3.58 ERA in 2023. Many people around the MLB world believe Luzardo can be one of the best pitchers in the game.
It has obviously been a down year for him so far. He's striking batters out less often than usual, and Luzardo is surrendering far more fly balls than the past two years.
One has to wonder if a change of scenery would solve the problem. The Marlins' immense struggles have been a result of underperformance. Sometimes joining a contending team is enough to help players turn their seasons around.
If he can increase his strikeout percentage while keeping the ball on the ground at a more consistent rate, Luzardo will end up being alright.

Edited by Greg Pappas

56 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

The O's, Yankees and Brewers are discussed as potential spots for Jesus Luzardo. Not much here, but it's something.

Just as a reminder, Luzardo will not be a FA until after the 2026 season.
2024 Contract Status: Signed thru 2024, 1 yr/$5.5M (24), Service Time (01/2024): 3.165  •  Arb Eligible: 2025  •  Free Agent: 2027

I Luzardo as a pitcher and would have loved this move last season (though he probably was not available given that the Marlins were in the playoff chase). 

However, for this season Luzardo seems more like a move to improve next season’s team. (And I definitely do not see his fit with NYY at all!) 

I would be okay if Elias did this as long as there is a serious bullpen acquisition to accompany this move. IMO Cano + Kimbrel is almost a certain recipe for postseason heartbreak, as I do not trust either in big spots.

50 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I Luzardo as a pitcher and would have loved this move last season (though he probably was not available given that the Marlins were in the playoff chase). 

However, for this season Luzardo seems more like a move to improve next season’s team. (And I definitely do not see his fit with NYY at all!) 

I would be okay if Elias did this as long as there is a serious bullpen acquisition to accompany this move. IMO Cano + Kimbrel is almost a certain recipe for postseason heartbreak, as I do not trust either in big spots.

I see it as a 'this year and the following two seasons' move.  I'd happily add Luzardo to the staff as our #3 or #4.  I agree with you that the bullpen takes priority and have said that repeatedly (not that you'd recall that :) ).

24 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I see it as a 'this year and the following two seasons' move.  I'd happily add Luzardo to the staff as our #3 or #4.  I agree with you that the bullpen takes priority and have said that repeatedly (not that you'd recall that :) ).

Average FB is down more than 1 mph from 2023. He's also throwing it less often. According to Baseball Savant he's throwing his 2SFB more. SL and CU appear to have the highest whiff% and putaway%. Not sure why he would lose velo on 4SFB and throw more 2SFB. Is he healthy?

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Average FB is down more than 1 mph from 2023. He's also throwing it less often. According to Baseball Savant he's throwing his 2SFB more. SL and CU appear to have the highest whiff% and putaway%. Not sure why he would lose velo on 4SFB and throw more 2SFB. Is he healthy?

This is a fair point.  We'd have to feel that he was healthy to have any interest.  I'm not expecting Luzardo or any other major starter acquisition, at least until the bullpen is addressed. But Luzardo's health and effectiveness is worth watching.

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1