The 2024 Trade Deadline

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Padres had a terminally ill owner.

Not sure that is worth laughing about but hey, you do you.

I’m not laughing at their owner ( Seidler? ) . I heard about his health . 
My comment was directed at their GM AJ’s moves not working out for Padres 

I have health concerns too and I’m not laughing 

Edited by Allan Bryant
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Sure.  I agree to an extent.   Elias obviously enjoys having depth, both for the ML team and for trading pieces.  It’s just my opinion that there are certain guys he’s unwilling to include.   He should be able to get upgrades even without those three on the table.   Hypothetically, if Elias offered Kjerstad + for Crochet and the WS insisted on Basallo or Mayo, I believe Elias would move to plan B.   He’s willing to give up something for short term gains but he’s going to draw the line somewhere.

I don't really know hoe Crochet will be valued because of the prior injuries and possible innings limitation. He may not even be capable of helping a team into October?

1 minute ago, Malike said:

I didn't know this, I suspect a lot of people who aren't fans of the Padres didn't know this.

I think most people know it.  Does that preclude someone noting that the Padres have been “all in” from both a payroll perspective and a trading prospects perspective and it hasn’t worked out?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

I’m not laughing at their owner ( Seidler? ) . I heard about his health . 
My comment was directed at their GM AJ’s moves not working out for Padres 

I have health concerns too and I’m not laughing 

That's good.

The GM's moves were probably due to directions given to him by the owner.

You have to do what the boss wants right?

If the boss says put all the chips in the middle and bet big, you do.

Orioles need to make a shrewd move trading for a starter and a reliever or 2 that will help us this year and multiple years down the road.  

it will sting but we are World Series contenders. If winning a World Series this year costs us Basallo or Kjersted. So be it. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

I think most people know it.  Does that preclude someone noting that the Padres have been “all in” from both a payroll perspective and a trading prospects perspective and it hasn’t worked out?

I don't think so, no. I think when people are terminally ill they are concerned with more things than their MLB team winning something, at least I'd like to think there would be many more pressing priorities.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

My issue was with the laughing about it.

And that's been settled so you can quiet down now thanks.  No one needs protecting from me.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Malike said:

I don't think so, no. I think when people are terminally ill they are concerned with more things than their MLB team winning something, at least I'd like to think there would be many more pressing priorities.

I don't know.

If I'm a billionaire sports team owner and I know I'm in a bad way health wise, I could see going all in for a ring both for myself and the city.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know.

If I'm a billionaire sports team owner and I know I'm in a bad way health wise, I could see going all in for a ring both for myself and the city.

Yeah, I'd probably be more concerned with other things.

19 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Nice analysis , I forgot about Elias’ long term strategy comment .  It may not headlines making but it might prolong the window for the team.

Agree with your we’re not the Dodgers or Yankees. The Padres thought they are , lol .  Just saw the standings and they’re 35-37  ?  For all that money they spent , smh 

When you speak of "window" what are you referring to?

I ask because I don't see a plausible reality where you constantly lose difference making/super star players and just churn out others to replace them regularly. Like I don't see us finding another Gunnar Henderson or being able to trade him for equivalent value. That philosophy seems to be rooted in ego and hubris. And I don't that will end well. Because you give yourself such a thin margin for error.

I can't see us taking say Burnes and/or Gunnar, Adley off of future teams and then somehow being better than we are now. Special doesn't just grow on trees and is not easily replaced. We don't have to be the Dodgers, Yankees, Mets, or Padres. Just because you don't spend at the very top doesn't mean that you shouldn't spend. You know who else is spending and winning? - The Phillies. They are actually outspending the Dodgers on payroll this season. Not saying that the O's have to or should be as high. But I am saying that there are teams in the top 7 who are loosing and winning AND teams in the bottom 7 who are winning (us and CLE) but most are losing.

It's all about HOW you spend.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's good.

The GM's moves were probably due to directions given to him by the owner.

You have to do what the boss wants right?

If the boss says put all the chips in the middle and bet big, you do.

Thank you , when I made that comment, it was made at GM , wasn’t thinking about that poor owner ( God bless him )

Yeah , if the bosses say jump, they say how high ?

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't really know hoe Crochet will be valued because of the prior injuries and possible innings limitation. He may not even be capable of helping a team into October?

Crochet is one of the most talented starting pitchers in baseball.   He has 2+ years of control.  It makes no sense for the WS to trade him unless they can get top value back.  That probably means a top 20 guy like Basallo, Mayo, or Holliday.   The Padres, under Heller, might be a team willing to trade such a prospect in Ethan Salas.  Obviously, I don’t know for sure.

All of this talk about Crochet on an innings limit and he might need load management or might not hold up until September is total guesswork.  He might not help a team in October.  He might be a post season hero.  One thing is for sure.  He’s an elite talent and is pitching like one and, to this point, has shown no signs of injury or fatigue.   Someone is probably going to take the plunge.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My issue was with the laughing about it.

And that's been settled so you can quiet down now thanks.  No one needs protecting from me.

As long as you’re done being sanctimonious, my job is done.