The 2024 Trade Deadline

3 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Or, do we not trade for any pitching, keep all of our young bats and just try to outslug every team?

There isn't room for all our young bats.  Even if we think Kjerstad and Cowser are fixtures in RF and LF going forward, that still leaves Beavers, Norby and Stowers to trade.  

21 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

I still have not seen a single explanation of why we’d give up those kinds of assets for a guy who might not even be pitching by August given the IP situation. 

We can figure out next years rotation in the off season if we have to. We don’t need to give up major assets right now for a guy who might not help THIS year. 

So I’ll ask again, WHY would Crochet even be a target, let alone someone we’d give up these kinds of assets for?  And that’s before you even factor in that the Sox haven’t exactly been reasonable with their asking price, reportedly, on other players. 

Would you do Povich, McDermott, Norby, Beavers for Crochet? Is that enough for the Sox?

12 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

There isn't room for all our young bats.  Even if we think Kjerstad and Cowser are fixtures in RF and LF going forward, that still leaves Beavers, Norby and Stowers to trade.  

Norby may end up being a utility player given his limitations at 2b. Beavers may be ready right when Mullins is leaving, opening up a spot in LF with Cowser moving to CF. So I think there is room for both of them after this year.

I'm all for moving Stowers and Norby, if a team values him like a starting positional player in trade. I think we'd be selling low on Beavers and would prefer we keep him another year to see how he progresses.

7 minutes ago, bluedog said:

Would you do Povich, McDermott, Norby, Beavers for Crochet? Is that enough for the Sox?

Considering what the Sox did with Cease, I wouldn’t want any parts of negotiating with them. Add to that, Getz might be empowered by what he got for Cease.

Crochet is risky and probably not even a playoff option as a SP. There’s too many good rental options available currently in Scherzer, Kikuchi, and Severino. 

As much as we want to trade for a pitcher with multiple years of control, we may have to figure that out this winter. It might mean we'd need to actually spend money (which we have no idea if this ownership is committed to), but the options available for trade this month may not match the combo of: what we'd be willing to give up, and what we want.

12 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I don’t think I would, no. And I don’t think that’s enough for the Sox (in their eyes) anyway. 

How about Mountcastle to Seattle for a quality prospect or two, and then those prospects + Norby, Stowers and one of Povich, McDermott or Johnson?

I think you are right, even if we find a trade we'd be happy with, the White Sox are going to demand way more than that.

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Considering what the Sox did with Cease, I wouldn’t want any parts of negotiating with them. Add to that, Getz might be empowered by what he got for Cease.

Crochet is risky and probably not even a playoff option as a SP. There’s too many good rental options available currently in Scherzer, Kikuchi, and Severino. 

I agree with this, just playing around with offers to see what people on OH would part with.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree pump the brakes..on the level of stupidity surrounding freaking out over 34 at bats.

There you go again, I never called you  stupid because you said he was MVP Hes the number one prospect in baseball, partly because he was drafted 1:1, so was Tim Beckman and Delmon Young. For Fu**fs sakes man stop taking every differing opinion of youres as a personal attack

8 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

There you go again, I never called you  stupid because you said he was MVP Hes the number one prospect in baseball, partly because he was drafted 1:1, so was Tim Beckman and Delmon Young. For Fu**fs sakes man stop taking every differing opinion of youres as a personal attack

I didn’t call you stupid. I called the notion of freaking out over 34 at bats stupid.  Sorry if that offends but 🤷‍♂️

Just now, casadeozo said:

Yes

I'll say no. He's not better defensively than Westburg or Mateo, he's not hitting in AAA, just a lot of walks and singles, and Norby and Mayo are ahead of him.

Holliday's time is next year. Think that's pretty clear at this point barring him going on a power binge and a slew of injuries.

• Upvote 1