The 2024 Trade Deadline

Trade Proposal: Baltimore Orioles get LHP Garrett Crochet; Chicago White Sox get C Samuel Basallo (Orioles No. 3, MLB No. 13)

The sheer prospect depth the Orioles have is the other reason they're worth considering for Crochet, and this one-for-one deal would see them give up a guy who's blocked by Adley Rutschman anyway.

Unless, of course, they see Basallo's offensive profile as a better fit for first base. He boasts plus hit and power tools, so it may be in Baltimore's interest to pursue such an outcome.

would you?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10124411-white-sox-sp-garrett-crochets-top-landing-spots-amid-mlb-trade-rumors

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Nope. I see no reason why we need a SP. We have 7 rotation options. Heck, maybe 8 with McDermott. You only really need 3 SP for the playoffs. If we do need a SP for some reason it would literally just be a #4 type to get us through the regular season. The price on that might be a DSL flier or cash.

Back end bullpen arm, vet RH bat, middle reliever. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Wouldn’t even consider it. Crochet has a great arm but we have zero idea how he will handle the workload he will have this year, which far exceeds anything he has ever done.

On top of that, we don’t know how the major increase in innings will effect him in 2025.

I wouldn’t feel comfortable trading for him until after 2025.  

Great talent though, no doubt.  May be the new Chris Sale.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Absolutely not! If we are giving up Basallo, it better be for a guy like Miller who has 5 and 1/2 seasons of control left (after deadline) AND is elite at our one area of weakness. He also gives us the best back end for several seasons beyond when paired with Bautista (pending health).

Crochet does little for us this year. He does give us maybe a slight improvement over our 2/3 starter in the playoffs. But does he have those many innings in him? People keep talking about the injury risk with Miller but how is Crochet any different? AND he does not solve our biggest weakness in ‘24 (shutdown reliever at the end of games). Yes it is possible that you may be able to slot him there, but he has never done it before.

12 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

This extra wild card team has messed up the deadline. There are 5 teams that will be sellers. 25 teams within 3.5 games of the playoffs.

It has made it more difficult for buyers - not sure I would say it has "messed it up". It keeps the competition from being extremely top heavy over the final two months of the season.

4 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Trading Mayo Kjerstad and Povich for one guy to become a relief pitcher is nuts.

Ya I’m not advocating for that, I just think that’s what someone will pay 

starting pitching is at such a premium, and he will be the best arm available

On 6/12/2024 at 11:34 AM, dystopia said:

Yeah they need to blow it up, including firing their manager and GM. Just a dumpster fire of an organization. 

Dumpster fire seems a bit harsh.  They’ve made the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years, including the last 2.   I wouldn’t rule out their WC chances this year, either.  They’re only 3 games out of the 3rd WC spot.   

I do think Schneider is a mediocre manager, and the GM doesn’t seem like anything special.  

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Dumpster fire seems a bit harsh.  They’ve made the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years, including the last 2.   I wouldn’t rule out their WC chances this year, either.  They’re only 3 games out of the 3rd WC spot.   

I do think Schneider is a mediocre manager, and the GM doesn’t seem like anything special.  

Only because MLB is turning into hockey in terms of playoff teams. They remind me of the Vernon Wells years - forever mired in mediocrity. If they don’t do a full rebuild they’re likely to be screwed for a while because they don’t have much of a farm system. 

The yanking of Berrios in that playoff game told me all I need to know about their GM and skipper. Haven’t seen anything since to change my mind.