Gunnar Henderson - What are the chances?

RZNJ

Gunnar to 3B by 2026?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What are the chances of Gunnar moving to 3B with Holliday at SS by 2026?

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

If JH can’t throw, why do we want him? If his defense is sub par, shuttle him off to the As for Miller and call it a good day’s work.

And if he CAN throw, why all this “he can’t” malarkey?

He can throw, he just doesn't have what some may call a "cannon". But he's capable of playing 2B and SS. Who said his defense was subpar?

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

If JH can’t throw, why do we want him? If his defense is sub par, shuttle him off to the As for Miller and call it a good day’s work.

This is silly.  You're not going to get rid of this guy because his arm is a little weak.  

IMO, this is one of the more overblown discussions on here.  So he ends up at second base, so what?  The hit tool is excellent.  I understand that he was drafted to be an SS and that SS is the more premium position but it's not like we don't have that position covered.  If that's the only thing that doesn't pan out for this kid, that he doesn't stand on the right spot on the dirt, then that's a small, small bone to pick.

Is anyone complaining about an infield that's Westy at 3rd, Gunnar at SS and Holliday at 2nd?  

19 minutes ago, Philip said:

Who said he can’t throw?

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

This is silly.  You're not going to get rid of this guy because his arm is a little weak.  

IMO, this is one of the more overblown discussions on here.  So he ends up at second base, so what?  The hit tool is excellent.  I understand that he was drafted to be an SS and that SS is the more premium position but it's not like we don't have that position covered.  If that's the only thing that doesn't pan out for this kid, that he doesn't stand on the right spot on the dirt, then that's a small, small bone to pick.

Is anyone complaining about an infield that's Westy at 3rd, Gunnar at SS and Holliday at 2nd?  

SportsGuy.  Elias drafted him 1:1 because he envisioned him as the SS of the future.  It’s his natural birthright.   You can’t do this to the kid!

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

SportsGuy.  Elias drafted him 1:1 because he envisioned him as the SS of the future.  It’s his natural birthright.   You can’t do this to the kid!

I get where he's coming from and that's fine.  But as I said, we've got a guy who's on pace for something like a 10-12 WAR season.  

IMO, this isn't a hill to really die on.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I get where he's coming from and that's fine.  But as I said, we've got a guy who's on pace for something like a 10-12 WAR season.  

And yet ……….…

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I find it funny how obsessed RZ is with me and this thought.  A guy I haven’t spoken to on this site in close to 2 years. Literally starts a thread because of his obsession.  It’s so sad and pathetic.

One thing I will say, I definitely feel less confident in the thought Holliday ends up at SS because I feel Gunnar looks better at SS this year than he did last year and the numbers back that up.

I think if it ends up that way, it says more about Gunnar than it does Holliday.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I find it fun those obsessed RZ is with me and this thought.  A guy I haven’t spoken to on this site in close to 2 years. Literally starts a thread because of his obsession.  It’s so sad and pathetic.

One thing I will say, I definitely feel less confident in the thought Holliday ends up at SS because I feel Gunnar looks better at SS this year than he did last year and the numbers back that up.

I think if it ends up that way, it says more about Gunnar than it does Holliday.

Agreed.  Gunnar is becoming a monster, a top 5...maybe even a top 3 player in the game.  His defense is a big part of that.

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I find it funny how obsessed RZ is with me and this thought.  A guy I haven’t spoken to on this site in close to 2 years. Literally starts a thread because of his obsession.  It’s so sad and pathetic.

What a dope!   You kept saying Holliday was young.  Maybe he’s working on things maybe he’ll get better.  You know who got better?   The SS who was already way better than Holliday.  The better athlete (shout out to my new bestie @OnlyOneOriole ) with the bazooka arm.   

I’m only obsessed with your stupidity.   Stop being stupid and I‘ll stop but what are the chances of that?   About the same as Gunnar moving to 3rd so Holliday can play SS by 2026.    😄

Edited by RZNJ

Not 0%, but under 12.5%, which means 0% is the closest-to-the-pin answer.

I think it would take an injury to Gunnar to move him off SS at this point.  As a point of comparison, Cal Ripken did not move off SS until age 35 and averaged 10 Rtot per year at SS.  Gunnar has played just over 1 full season at SS now and has an Rtot of 19 (17 per season).  Was Ripken hurting the O's at SS?  Nope.  While he had a record-setting season in 1984 (AL record for assists at the time), his 3-year peak for defense by Rtot was not until 1989-91.  The Orioles didn't have anyone who would or could replace Ripken there, but moving him would have been a huge mistake in terms of the relative offensive value he was creating with above-average defense.

Henderson is starting from a higher base defensively, so despite the presence of another outstanding hitting prospect, it would take a seismic shift in relative defensive value to move Henderson, which I think is very unlikely in the short-term window offered (by 2026).

I think it's also possible this would piss off Henderson and actually reduce the chance he re-signs with the O's.  For that reason alone, Holliday might need to be BETTER at SS to force such a move.  I don't see any evidence that will happen by 2026. 

• Thanks 1