Poll - Would you trade Cowser, McDermott, Norby, and Stowers for Crochet?

sportsfan8703

Poll - Would you trade Cowser, McDermott, Norby, and Stowers for Crochet?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Poll - Would you trade Cowser, McDermott, Norby, and Stowers for Crochet?

• Yes
    • No

What I said about the As applies to the WS as well. 
they don’t want a guy to play on the big league team now; he would just be wasting a pre-arb year on a 50-win team.

They want prospects who will be ready for 25-26.  So, Mcdermott(would rather keep Him, though), Bradfield, Bassallo, Beavers,etc.

Aside from Basallo, I dunno who Makes the heart go pitter-Pat, but the last thing the White Sox need is guys with service clocks that have started already.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This pretty much the Cease package we offered, or so it seems.

Can't remember where I read it, but I thought we offered the White Sox the same package for Cease that we offered to the Brewers for Burnes. 

But no, that's a little too steep a price for one pitcher. Smells a lot like the Bedard trade in reverse. 

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

they don’t want a guy to play on the big league team now; he would just be wasting a pre-arb year on a 50-win team.

They want prospects who will be ready for 25-26.  So, Mcdermott(would rather keep Him, though), Bradfield, Bassallo, Beavers,etc.

Aside from Basallo, I dunno who Makes the heart go pitter-Pat, but the last thing the White Sox need is guys with service clocks that have started already.

The difference between the CWS and A’s is that the CWS play in a weak division. They get 4 guys that plug holes and could be around .500 in that division next year.

At the end of the day this is the same package that go thrown around all offseason for Cease. 

So it was ok for Cease, but not Crochet who has .5 years of control more, and we’d have him for 3 playoffs.

But I guess the milkman Cow gimmick matters that much to people. It’s cool and all, but I’d take a lefty SP for 3 playoffs. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

18 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The difference between the CWS and A’s is that the CWS play in a weak division. They get 4 guys that plug holes and could be around .500 in that division next year.

At the end of the day this is the same package that go thrown around all offseason for Cease. 

So it was ok for Cease, but not Crochet who has .5 years of control more, and we’d have him for 3 playoffs.

But I guess the milkman Cow gimmick matters that much to people. It’s cool and all, but I’d take a lefty SP for 3 playoffs. 

The timing matters here.  In the offseason we didn't know Cowser would become what he has defensively now, including being able to more than adequately handle CF.  Nor did we know Mullins was going to crater offensively to the extent he has.

If you do this trade now, you are creating a hole in CF while only arguably upgrading the pitching for the rest of the season given Crochet's innings limitations.

This trade idea makes absolutely no sense unless you have the White Sox throw in Robert as well (and he won't be a throw-in, we'd have to up our package for him.)  Cowser's essentially been a full time starter and despite his bad May and mediocre June he's been an above average player for us overall.  The only way I'd consider giving up Cowser here is if they throw in Robert.  We'd probably have to package Cowser with someone better - instead of Norby we'd be looking at giving up Kjerstad or someone like that - if we wanted the WS to throw in Robert.

On top of that, Crochet is going to be of limited help this year.  We could save him for the playoffs, but that carries its own risks as well.  It's ok to look to the future, but we need to be maximizing the 2024 team's chance to win in the playoffs.  Trading a starting outfielder who's been well above average to date doesn't really do that.  Even if you assume the June version is more like his true talent level offensively, he's still likely to produce 1 to 1.5 WAR for the rest of the season just on the strength of his defense.  I'm not sure we get that from a limited Crochet + Cowser's backfill.

Edited by Hallas
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TopGunnar said:

No way am I trading Cowser. I think he’s going to be a star

I don't think he's going to be a star, but I think he will be a good player.  I wouldn't trade him now because I like his ability to play CF.    I would, however, not object to trading him in the right deal.  I don't think Crochet is that deal.   

38 minutes ago, Philip said:

Meh.  Is it riskier to invest 1) in a phase 1 or phase 2 pharmaceutical or 2) when as the FDA is meeting for final approval?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well when our top three are top 5 overall prospects it only makes sense that our top 15 are all top 50.

They're all untouchable. Maybe they'll take Hays, Mateo, and Mullins for Skubal or Miller.

Edited by Malike

22 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Meh.  Is it riskier to invest 1) in a phase 1 or phase 2 pharmaceutical or 2) when as the FDA is meeting for final approval?

Let’s make that baseball:

is it riskier to trade for some farther-away prospects who will most likely-but not guaranteed- give you an extra pre-arb season during a competitive window, or for more likely guys who will waste a couple seasons excelling for an awful team?

If I’m As or WS, I make sure I get a large prospect haul of 50fv or better players, thus spreading out the risk. I don’t want one great guy but a lot of solid average players, because I don’t want to be the Angels, who had the best guy on the planet and surrounded him with nobodies.

I am not opposed to trading Basallo, but let’s say we want to keep him. So Bradfield,Beavers, Mcdermott(reluctantly) Norby. Maybe Johnson too. 

Edited by Philip