Burch Smith 2024

Big Mac

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s been a pleasure to watch him pitch.  He doesn’t screw around out there.  He goes after guys.  

It helps when you can actually hit the borders of the strike zone with your pitches.

On 8/1/2024 at 9:03 AM, interloper said:

I had figured he was a soft-tossing ground-ball righty, but then he came here and starting whipping 97 past guys. Had no idea he had that kind of velocity. 

He's absolutely better than Dillon Tate, at least to my eyes. Quality of the strikes are pretty good, he's got a nice slider and a firm fastball. I think he does end up getting the cut today, which is unfortunate, but it's likely that we're getting the best of him in a small sample. That said, he's a guy I'm absolutely targeting to sign in the offseason for bullpen depth. 

Whatever happened to Tate? He got sent down then disappeared.

1 hour ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Whatever happened to Tate? He got sent down then disappeared.

He’s pitched 12 innings and given up 4 earned runs. WHIP is 1.05 … Probably pitching an inning per appearance. 

My guess is they are trying to get him straightened out.

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I’m sure I just saw the best version of Burch Smith but this guy showed good stuff and probably the best command of anyone in the pen.  I think he’s headed for higher leverage opportunities.   

He’s this year’s Webb. It just shows how talented players are that are struggling in the MLB or AAA. Some minor adjustments and they can become valuable role players. Relievers are fickle. Gotta ride the hot hand. 

I like what Burch Smith brings. Good find. Dare I say, Brach like with the 4 pitch mix out of the pen?  A poor man’s Brach?

• 2 weeks later...

I like Smith. I’m very much an Underdog fan, and he was a Rule 5 guy.

we have picked up a lot of guys who apparently had a dead cat bounce with us, and then turned back into pumpkins.

Smith has done well with us, so how much time before the SSS becomes “finally figured it out”?

And if he has finally figured it out, why is Hyde using him so little? Couldn’t he have gone an extra inning last night? Or started the inning instead of dealing with Soto’s mess?

Edited by HowAboutThat

On 8/1/2024 at 8:50 AM, Big Mac said:

Do we think there may be something there or is this nothing more than a small sample size fluke? 

Fastball velocity with the O's has been 95.6. With Miami this year it was 94.7.

Prior to this year, his fastball sat around 92-94.

Something might be there if he can keep this velocity.

Edited by dzorange
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2024 at 3:30 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s this year’s Webb. It just shows how talented players are that are struggling in the MLB or AAA. Some minor adjustments and they can become valuable role players. Relievers are fickle. Gotta ride the hot hand. 

I like what Burch Smith brings. Good find. Dare I say, Brach like with the 4 pitch mix out of the pen?  A poor man’s Brach?

Brach had that great changeup so he was effective vs RHB and LHB. Lefties are hitting .339/.838 off of Burch. That is worrisome but can be mitigated by Hyde's style of matching up (which can in turn be negated by pinch hitting). We don't really have a matchup proof guy like Brach in the bullpen which is why we need Coulombe back.

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Burch has been really bad lately. Still horrible vs lefties. I think it is time to pause this experiment. He has an option.

I think it was a really bad idea to use him 3 days in a row.  Not every pitcher is Darren O'Day.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Indians blow a bases loaded situation because of course. If this doesn’t end with a Judge walkoff I’ll be surprised. 

We'll see.  As great as Judge is Cleveland has that amazing bullpen.