Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

54 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

No you are right but as of this writing it looks terrible 

As of right now if looks that way, but the level of angst re: both ME and Rogers is uncalled for. I admit upfront I have proposed trading for Rogers for 2 years both in-season and offseason. That means nothing. Rogers was inconsistent in 2022 but was in the starting rotation in 2023 and did OK until he had a Lat injury that cost him the rest of 2023. I view GRod's injury through that lens, but I digress. Rogers lat injury was to his non-pitching side. Rogers has a short stride that I believe hurts his top end velocity and leaves him unbalanced in follow thru, again IMHO and I am not any kind of guru. I believe someone else here has commented on that as well. I'm not sure if they can fix that or if that will give him back the velo of 2022 or not but IF THEY CAN, he is a live arm with 2 years of control and left handed with obvious implications for Walltimore,. Fimgers crossed for the end of 2023 but hopeful for the next 2 years.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

As of right now if looks that way, but the level of angst re: both ME and Rogers is uncalled for. I admit upfront I have proposed trading for Rogers for 2 years both in-season and offseason. That means nothing. Rogers was inconsistent in 2022 but was in the starting rotation in 2023 and did OK until he had a Lat injury that cost him the rest of 2023. I view GRod's injury through that lens, but I digress. Rogers lat injury was to his non-pitching side. Rogers has a short stride that I believe hurts his top end velocity and leaves him unbalanced in follow thru, again IMHO and I am not any kind of guru. I believe someone else here has commented on that as well. I'm not sure if they can fix that or if that will give him back the velo of 2022 or not but IF THEY CAN, he is a live arm with 2 years of control and left handed with obvious implications for Walltimore,. Fimgers crossed for the end of 2023 but hopeful for the next 2 years.

Look I won't write him off just yet either but I damn well hope the Orioles aren't giving him one of the 5 spots automatically. Let him earn that job back. If he does good work in relief next year then maybe by June or so then sure give him another opportunity. 

Edited by Baseball fandom

5 hours ago, 1fingerwillie said:

Sure does...but I believe he was acquired for 2025 so I won't make any judgment till June or so.

Now I'm not saying he will or won't be of help next year but I think because he's been so bad he needs to earn a spot and not be counted on as one of starting 5. Also I've heard this quite a bit about more of help next year but that didn't do anything to help the 2024 that at one time many of os thought  were a WS contender. 

On 9/13/2024 at 2:43 PM, 1fingerwillie said:

We don't even know if he overpaid for Rogers. 

I see that people still don’t like people saying it’s a bad trade. And I will say this every trade you make in theory is an overpay because you’re willing to give more than any other team is willing to give. I know that’s kind of simplified, but it’s also kind of true. Especially at the trade deadline.

2 minutes ago, Spakman said:

I see that people still don’t like people saying it’s a bad trade. And I will say this every trade you make in theory is an overpay because you’re willing to give more than any other team is willing to give. I know that’s kind of simplified, but it’s also kind of true. Especially at the trade deadline.

I'll say every trade is at market value because whatever price was agreed upon is the market value at that time.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Spakman said:

Of course you tend to overpay if you're the buyer, i.e. the team competing for a playoff spot.  The selling team perhaps can't always get the buying team to overpay, but they usually hold most of the leverage in the negotiation, even if they're dealing a rental.

Even the Manny Machado trade to the Dodgers was probably an overpay even though Yusniel Diaz was a bust.  That's just the way it works, especially when considering Machado was mostly ineffective for the Dodgers and Kremer has pitched pretty well for the O's.  But the Dodgers needed to make that trade to compete, and it seemed like a good trade at the time.

But I think many of us felt Trevor Rogers trade didn't really feel like a good trade at the time.  Here the difference is Rogers is not a rental.  The O's have him for two more years.  It could end up being a good trade for the O's over the next couple of years, but the purpose of the trade was negated after Rogers bombed out of the rotation within a handful of starts.  

15 hours ago, Spakman said:

That is a complete misreading of my post, and I expect it is intentional. 

15 hours ago, Baseball fandom said:

Now I'm not saying he will or won't be of help next year but I think because he's been so bad he needs to earn a spot and not be counted on as one of starting 5. Also I've heard this quite a bit about more of help next year but that didn't do anything to help the 2024 that at one time many of os thought  were a WS contender. 

Of course he has to earn a spot. Why would you assume every trade in a given year is intended to help that specific year? Of course he isn't helping in 24. But if Elias never expected him to, how is that evidence of a bad trade?

15 hours ago, Spakman said:

Hey, I thought you were done talking about this 😉

And yes, it's still too soon to give it a final grade, good OR bad.

3 hours ago, 1fingerwillie said:

Of course he has to earn a spot. Why would you assume every trade in a given year is intended to help that specific year? Of course he isn't helping in 24. But if Elias never expected him to, how is that evidence of a bad trade?

That's comical to think you don't make a trade like that with the intent of also not helping this depleted pitching staff out this year too but hey your entitled to your opinion.