Day 2 Draft Day Thread

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Storen already signed.

That's why he went so high, they wanted a closer in the 1st/supp. and he agreed to a pre-draft deal. I would have taken Jenkins here (who would have signed quick) and then taken Boxberger in the supplemental making him a reliever. (he may not have liked that though, so I could see that not happening)

How would you guys rank our top picks so far?

Home run cuts. Either going to miss and strike out, or have some big hits coming. Tons of potential, couple questions on each. This will be a draft that needs to be evaluated in 2 years to really see where it was going.

Someone needs to tell Joe Jordan that there's this position on a baseball field to the left of shortstop called "Third Base", and that having a "Third Baseman" in your lineup is mandatory.

Don't the best players in HS play SS, C, CF and pitch? If that is the case they often grow out of most of these positions and are then converted to 3B and 1ST, etc. Snyder was drafted as a C, moved to 3rd and now is at 1ST. I see that as a normal progression. This isn't football where you draft a RB and they stay there. The position in the later rounds is less important than the swing, power potential, etc. If they are good def. at SS they will be fine at 3rd if need be. That is my take. Also always have to think, take the best player on the board irregardless of the position.

I'd like to see us pony up and select Austin Maddox and Devin Marrero. Also, I wouldn't mind Andrew Susac. I love the power potential he has.

I don't think Marrero is attainable -- nothing inside, just a feeling that ASU will be very difficult to go up against come signing time. Hot place to be right now, especially if you're looking to raise your stock (they'll be a national champion contender, full of talent, and sure to offer good press).

I like the Susac idea, though I think he'll also be tough to pry from Oregon State.

I think Maddox could benefit from some time in college. I think he ends up a power-hitting 1B.

I don't think Marrero is attainable -- nothing inside, just a feeling that ASU will be very difficult to go up against come signing time. Hot place to be right now, especially if you're looking to raise your stock (they'll be a national champion contender, full of talent, and sure to offer good press).

I like the Susac idea, though I think he'll also be tough to pry from Oregon State.

I think Maddox could benefit from some time in college. I think he ends up a power-hitting 1B.

Yeah, I figured that all three of these guys would be tough signs anyway. Also, I read earlier in the Spring that Marrero would really benefit himself by going to college, and it appears that he'll go that route. Three years from now he could go much higher and get a bonus thats roughly 3 or 4 times what he'd get now.

I agree about Maddox, but I like him even if he has to move to first. I think his bat will play there, and I love the power potential. I think giving Maddox top 2 round money would be a smart move, and he could be a steal at this stage in the draft. Also, I'd think about giving Susac top 5 round money.

And whats your take on Josh Elander? He's got some ability behind the plate, but is he a good bet to be college bound?

Yeah, I figured that all three of these guys would be tough signs anyway. Also, I read earlier in the Spring that Marrero would really benefit himself by going to college, and it appears that he'll go that route. Three years from now he could go much higher and get a bonus thats roughly 3 or 4 times what he'd get now.

I agree about Maddox, but I like him even if he has to move to first. I think his bat will play there, and I love the power potential. I think giving Maddox top 2 round money would be a smart move, and he could be a steal at this stage in the draft. Also, I'd think about giving Susac top 5 round money.

And whats your take on Josh Elander? He's got some ability behind the plate, but is he a good bet to be college bound?

Elander has big raw power -- I got to watch him up close at the home run derby at Wrigley, right before the Under Armour All-America game. His overall game could benefit from some more development. He's raw.

I'm getting the sinking feeling that this draft will be discussed in the future as Jordan's worst.

Are you reading the scouting reports on these guys? I am most excited by the pitchers especially, but I just do not see how you cannot be just a little bit excited about these guy. For instance, the pitcher who had TJ surgery was a potential 1st rounder, but because he got injured dropped to the 4th and we were able to nab a 1st rounder in the 4th round. That is excellent value for that pick, you are reading into the wrong parts, yeah he was injured, but if he wasnt then he would have been nabbed in the 1st not the 4th.....He is just like the Bundy pick....We got Ryan Berry who was the 2nd best pitcher in college until he suffered minor injury which took away some of his effectiveness and we were able to grab him in the 9th! Dont just be upset because you never heard of the guy, read the reports and trust JJ, for me this year's draft blows last year's out of the water........

Are you reading the scouting reports on these guys? I am most excited by the pitchers especially, but I just do not see how you cannot be just a little bit excited about these guy. For instance, the pitcher who had TJ surgery was a potential 1st rounder, but because he got injured dropped to the 4th and we were able to nab a 1st rounder in the 4th round. That is excellent value for that pick, you are reading into the wrong parts, yeah he was injured, but if he wasnt then he would have been nabbed in the 1st not the 4th.....He is just like the Bundy pick....We got Ryan Berry who was the 2nd best pitcher in college until he suffered minor injury which took away some of his effectiveness and we were able to grab him in the 9th! Dont just be upset because you never heard of the guy, read the reports and trust JJ, for me this year's draft blows last year's out of the water........

hmm - interesting take.

I'm very curious to see how some folks sum it all up. Sounds like some think there are a lot of home runs swings being taken and others think we simply did not strategically look at positional players sufficiently.

Perhaps the broader plan is to have 4B talented pitchers we can trade to acquire more established positional prospects - I dunno...

Archived