This is Progress

helloharv

What about the Angels and Nationals that offered more than the Orioles did to start.

You can't be serious if you don't want to play...

If Teixeira isn't the right guy, I'm not sure who is...

Pujols will be a FA after 2011, but I don't see us going after him at all. I expect the Cardinals to retain him or the Cubs to land him.

Adrian Gonzalez will be with the Red Sox when he's elligible as they've coveted him for some time.

Ryan Howard and Prince Fielder may be possibilities...

Lars Anderson says hi.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have said that if a Tejada or Vlad type bargain comes around, then I believes AM could and would get it done...However, i am not sure that player will exist over the next several years..It will either be the Huff type guys or 100+ million dollar contracts....The one guy that may be different would be Hardy...I could see AM signing him.

Somebody earlier said that it was a deviation from the plan to go after Tex. What about when it is actually part of his plan? I mean he still offered 140 mil for a guy. What makes you think he'll top at out at only half of that like a 72 million dollar deal we offered to Tejada? I guess the thing is, we all have no proof of what he will do, so in a sense it's pointless arguing it.

Everyone always says but we have all these young players. I can list five guys on the Royals with potential and maybe stars in the making too. Also we have not signed half our draft picks for this year. I was wondering if that is good for player development? We will buy the bats when the time is right gets old. We may never have a right time.

Well, I'm relying on more than hope if you read the first two arguments. With the ability that he showed in rebuilding our farm system, it stands to reason that he will be able to complete the project when the time comes.

But you are also relying on him to go against what he believes.

You are pointing to the grow the arms, buy the bats stuff.

But he has never said, grow the arms, buy the premium bats.

Signing guys like Figgins, for example, wouldn't cut it but that would be buying the bats.

This is why he needs to make trades...its why when so many people want to hold onto Scott for dear life, they need to be saying, lets trade him.

They were offering Lars in a package in a trade for Gonzalez. Clearly they want somebody better, somebody being AGon.

If that is true, it doesn't change anything.

If they keep Anderson and he becomes as good as advertised, they aren't going to spend the money on AGon.

Now, if they trade Anderson before that happens or he doesn't develop, then yes, Boston is a likely destination. But to act as if it is an absolute, stone cold guarantee is a joke.

Signing guys like Figgins, for example, wouldn't cut it but that would be buying the bats.

This is why he needs to make trades...its why when so many people want to hold onto Scott for dear life, they need to be saying, lets trade him.

What if "buy the bats" includes said "premium" bat. I think it does and should.

I'm not against trading Scott, but I think that we probably have a different idea of what we should trade him for. I think you can infer the "premium bats" from the fact that we went after Tex.

Or someone right now. This is the exact thing that you promised to stop doing, isn't it. Stating opinion as fact.

Considering Gonzalez is under control for the next two seasons for cheap, I find it easy to conclude they want him for more than just "right now."

I'm not against trading Scott, but I think that we probably have a different idea of what we should trade him for. I think you can infer the "premium bats" from the fact that we went after Tex.

Token offers don't count...Yes, he was willing to spend 20 million on Tex but he wasn't willing to increase his offer.

And, on top of that, he stated many times that geographical circumstances would mean he has to go after Tex...So, he was clearly an exception to his rule because of his Baltimore ties.

Considering Gonzalez is under control for the next two seasons for cheap, I find it easy to conclude they want him for more than just "right now."

But they do want him for right now...yes, they have him beyond this year but the idea of him right now may put them over the top...Clearly the reasoning behind going after him now and not in the offseason.

If that is true, it doesn't change anything.

If they keep Anderson and he becomes as good as advertised, they aren't going to spend the money on AGon.

Now, if they trade Anderson before that happens or he doesn't develop, then yes, Boston is a likely destination. But to act as if it is an absolute, stone cold guarantee is a joke.

They could always shift Lars to DH or the OF. David Ortiz isn't exactly a spring chicken...

Can you also conclude that they may still be high on Lars, but want AGon b/c he will give them the boost they need this year to beat the MFYs. Plus, they'll be more keen on Lars, if production is similar, b/c he will come at a much cheaper price.

They could always shift Lars to DH or the OF. David Ortiz isn't exactly a spring chicken...

Or they could decide that spending a boatload on money on an area that they don't need isn't the prudent way to go.

Either way, treating it like a certainty is just wrong.

Archived