23. Cowan
  24. R. Berry
  25. Angle
  26. Adams
  27. Rosa
  28. Spoone
  29. Gamboa
  30. Rowell

Don't remember who 31 was, and left my supplement at the office.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those who didn't buy the book:
  1. Matusz
  2. Bell
  3. Britton
  4. Arrieta
  5. Hobgood
  6. Snyder
  7. Erbe
  8. Mickolio
  9. Givens
  10. Joseph

When I did my top-7, I came out the same, I think:

7. Erbe

6. Snyder

5. Hobgood

4. Arrieta

3. Britton

2. Bell

1. Matusz.

So I can't really argue.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1949988&highlight=matusz+britton+erbe+bell#post1949988

Interesting that BA ranks Kam and Lebron that high. Would be real nice if both continue progressing and become solid power bullpen arms in 2010/2011. Good, cheap bullpen arms may help enable spending elsewhere to bring in some upper tier offensive talent, and avoid buying the Baez, Walker, Bradfords.

I would be interested in reading opinions of whether Jordan did a good job by taking Hobgood, Coffey and Ohlman instead of Crow or Green. Anyone have an opinion?

If he would have taken Matzek, then Matzek would have been either our #3 or most likely our #2 prospect. Green is considered to be a top 5 minor league shortstop at this point behind Castro, Escobar, and Gordon. The problem I have with the Hobgood pick is that come this year's draft the shortstop options are not likely to be better than Green and the best pitching prospect Taillon is about equal to Matzek.

If I am a team like the Orioles who are for all intensive purposes still focusing on next year, then I am sticking more funds into the draft. If that means I have to trade Wigginton for a song to sign a few over slot guys then that is what I am doing. I know risk is mitigated when you take multiple over slot guys verses a large single signing bonus prospect. That being said, Jordan has done well and you want to give him the benefit of the doubt. I will give him that while thinking that Hobgood was drafted because other guys had signing bonus concerns.

I like their list. I do hvae some problems with it though. I think Waring should definetly be ranked alot higher. I also think they ranked Givens and Jacobson to high. Also Wilfredo Perez should definetly be in the top 30.

I like their list. I do hvae some problems with it though. I think Waring should definetly be ranked alot higher. I also think they ranked Givens and Jacobson to high. Also Wilfredo Perez should definetly be in the top 30.

With his age and K issues Waring has a lot to prove. A good season at Bowie will go a long way and will certainly put him well up in the top 10.

The Brett Jacobson placement is a shocker. They must have found a couple of scouts who saw something to like.

Definitely agree on Perez. It's apparent from the list that BA doesn't like recently-injured pitchers.

With his age and K issues Waring has a lot to prove. A good season at Bowie will go a long way and will certainly put him well up in the top 10.

The Brett Jacobson placement is a shocker. They must have found a couple of scouts who saw something to like.

Definitely agree on Perez. It's apparent from the list that BA doesn't like recently-injured pitchers.

Yeah Waring does have K issues, but every single season his K rate had declined significantly, while putting up consistently hitting for a good average and putting up good Power numbers. I know he is a little old but so was Reimold. I didn't expect him to be up in the top 10, even though on my list he would be. I am just suprised he is not atleast in the top 15.

Yeah Waring does have K issues, but every single season his K rate had declined significantly, while putting up consistently hitting for a good average and putting up good Power numbers. I know he is a little old but so was Reimold. I didn't expect him to be up in the top 10, even though on my list he would be. I am just suprised he is not atleast in the top 15.

Not true on the bolded part. His K rate climbed in 2008; he struck out once every 3.2 plate appearances.

Don't get me wrong--I have been watching BW with interest ever since the trade. Hey, between NCAA and rookie ball, he hit 47 HRs in 2007. But K rate is a big issue with minor league players, especially when it gets down to 1:4 or worse. I'm sure that's a big reason he isn't more highly rated. It's probably the main reason the Reds were willing to trade him.

But he had a real nice bounceback year last season, and if he improves again at Bowie then 2008 will be forgotten, and he'll be on everybody's Top 10.

I always find this list interesting but I agree, that's the only "shocking" thing on the whole list. Honestly, his previous draft status is the only reason I can think of why anyone would think he's a prospect. He's got some decent velocity 92-94, but an Olympic archer gets more movement.

Also, I don't know who they talked to but apparently it was not the Orioles. I'm pretty amazed they didn't include Beal or Wirsch. Apparently, BA puts much more emphasis on draft status.

Archived