O's only have one draft pick in the first two rounds of the draft

The Orioles only have one pick in the first two rounds of the amateur draft. One other team has only one also,the Mets. The teams in our division draft choices in the first two rounds:

Blue Jays- seven picks

Rays- five picks

Red Sox- four picks

Yankees- two picks

Orioles- one pick

We better draft better in the later rounds. Blue Jays should get some good talent. We have few picks when we need them.

The Orioles only have one pick in the first two rounds of the amateur draft. One other team has only one also,the Mets. The teams in our division draft choices in the fitst two rounds:

Blue Jays- seven picks

Rays- five picks

Red Sox- four picks

Yankees- two picks

Orioles- one pick

We better draft better in the later rounds. Blue Jays should get some good talent. We have few picks when we need them.

WTF??? :confused: Can someone, anyone - please tell me why the Orioles who are by far the WORST team in the divisionhave the fewest picks? I know they lost one caused by Macphails idiotic signing of Gonzales, but how is it that our superior competition all have more picks and in the case of all but the Yankees MANY times more picks? Especially in a draft year that is loaded with talent? :(:confused:

Just one more example of how deficient this MFNG organization has become!:mad::angryfire::cussing::angryfire::mad:

Sorry but his pisses me off to no end and I had to vent!!!

WTF??? :confused: Can someone, anyone - please tell me why the Orioles who are by far the WORST team in the divisionhave the fewest picks? I know they lost one caused by Macphails idiotic signing of Gonzales, but how is it that our superior competition all have more picks and in the case of all but the Yankees MANY times more picks? Especially in a draft year that is loaded with talent? :(:confused:

Just one more example of how deficient this MFNG organization has become!:mad::angryfire::cussing::angryfire::mad:

Because our superior competition had superior players on their team last season that were considered superior FAs on the market. They were superior enough that their respective teams offered them arbitration confident that the player would turn it down. Other teams then signed those guys and our division rivals got compensation picks for them. Our players were of the caliber that 1) They probably would have accepted arbitration and we'd be on the hook to pay them a lot of money this year (Would you really have wanted Melvin Mora on this team too?) and 2) Even if they refused arbitration, no other team would have given up a draft pick to sign them.

That's just the way it works when you have a terrible team.

It's just a basebal game. I think you should be more pissed off at BP and idiotic comments. They are ruining peoples lives and income.

Maybe so, but this is not the forum for that. It is the Orioles Hangout isn't it?

WTF??? :confused: Can someone, anyone - please tell me why the Orioles who are by far the WORST team in the divisionhave the fewest picks?

Well, it turns out that the Type A/Type B free agent compensation rules, designed to mitigate the potential sting of losing players to free agency and help clubs who can't sign the top players every year actually helps the richest clubs. They sign the best players for awhile, then those players leave and the teams that paid money for them in the first place get draft picks.

Our veterans have either (1) been too bad to reach Type A/B status, or be worth offering arbitration, (2) retired with the team, or (3) been traded before they reached free agency.

The only part of the draft that helps losing clubs is the order of the picks. The number of picks (which is, IMO, more important) rewards middle-of-the-pack teams whose best players leave for more money elsewhere.

Well, it turns out that the Type A/Type B free agent compensation rules, designed to mitigate the potential sting of losing players to free agency and help clubs who can't sign the top players every year actually helps the richest clubs. They sign the best players for awhile, then those players leave and the teams that paid money for them in the first place get draft picks.

Our veterans have either (1) been too bad to reach Type A/B status, or be worth offering arbitration, (2) retired with the team, or (3) been traded before they reached free agency.

The only part of the draft that helps losing clubs is the order of the picks. The number of picks (which is, IMO, more important) rewards middle-of-the-pack teams whose best players leave for more money elsewhere.

Well this just flat out sucks and is stupid. No wonder bad teams have so much trouble getting better, especially the small payrolled ones. Baseball is very dumb in comparison to the NFL and NBA in terms of helping to achieve a competitive balance.:(:mad:

The Orioles only have one pick in the first two rounds of the amateur draft. One other team has only one also,the Mets. The teams in our division draft choices in the fitst two rounds:

Blue Jays- seven picks

Rays- five picks

Red Sox- four picks

Yankees- two picks

Orioles- one pick

Now THAT's how you build an organization- seven picks in two rounds. I wonder how many of those came from the Halladay deal? And I thought the Bedard trade was a good one. :rolleyes:

Too bad the O's can't figure it out. The Yankees you would expect to be last since they'd rather spend the bucks on free agents, so having less picks than them is really quite an accomplishment. :angryfire:

Go O's!

sfosfan

Wanna know what's even sadder? It looks like the Pirates are now going to draft Taillon, which completely :cussing: up our draft board.

We're going to draft Machado, and more than likely, we're not going to have the faintest idea how to develop him. :clap3:

:angryfire::mad::rolleyes:

Now THAT's how you build an organization- seven picks in two rounds. I wonder how many of those came from the Halladay deal? And I thought the Bedard trade was a good one. :rolleyes:

Too bad the O's can't figure it out. The Yankees you would expect to be last since they'd rather spend the bucks on free agents, so having less picks than them is really quite an accomplishment. :angryfire:

Go O's!

sfosfan

0 came from the Halladay deal...you can't deal picks..

I'm not concerned. This is a mediocre draft, so much so that even if we don't sign our #1 I'm okay with a 1 and 4 next June's huge draft along with any supplementals we get for Tejada and Milwood. Drafting and signing Machado is not going to turn this club around in 2 or three years anyways. I would rather have quantity in a premo draft like 2011. Just my two cents:)

I'm not concerned. This is a mediocre draft, so much so that even if we don't sign our #1 I'm okay with a 1 and 4 next June's huge draft along with any supplementals we get for Tejada and Milwood. Drafting and signing Machado is not going to turn this club around in 2 or three years anyways. I would rather have quantity in a premo draft like 2011. Just my two cents:)

I just mentioned this in the Amateur Draft forum. We could really stock the farm system with next year's draft in that scenario. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing if history repeats itself and PA wanders into the draft room Monday and insists that AM select a college pitcher whose signability is in question?

Boston continues to be adept at churning draft picks.

Wagner, who appeared in fifteen games and logged a whopping 13.2 innings for 'em, gets Boston two draft picks when he signs elsewhere. Wow, what a great system.

Boston continues to be adept at churning draft picks.

Wagner, who appeared in fifteen games and logged a whopping 13.2 innings for 'em, gets Boston two draft picks when he signs elsewhere. Wow, what a great system.

It sure is....at least when you're good at identifying and maximizing talent at both the ML and amateur levels.

Archived