ESPN is reporting...

Greg Pappas

You've nailed it IMO. If he's on the list I still think we can get a decent package for him considering how little there will be available but he'll be a plan C or D for teams whereas he might be a plan A or B for teams w/o being tagged as a cheater.

Yea but only 2 teams can get options A and B....Once those options are gone, teams will be fighting for C and D.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think some of you guys are making too big of a deal about steroids in baseball, but I've made that point before, so I guess there's no need to get back into it again. I'd prefer steroids to be totally eliminated from the sport, and wish there were never in it, but I'm not going to come down on these guys that much for using, it's very understandable why they did.

Completely fair approach as is the opposite. I'm just hoping that whatever is released is as close to complete as possible. Better to have a big bang of negativity with dozens or more names released at once rather than what we have now where it seems like a name or three leaks every month or so.

Everyone is basically a perceived roider or HGHer it seems.

Do you think if it came out that Pujols was/is using HGH, that teams would trade less for him?

I just don't think teams care as much about this as many think. Seeing as so many are doing it, it would be hard to have a team full of guys who aren't.

I don't think everyone is basically perceived to be a roider or HGHer. You're projecting that. . .

I think Pujols would take a hit...SG, no one who's been linked to PED's of anykind has has the same reputation. Anyone who's going to try and trade for Pujols if he were to be exposed would point out the risks along with the PED's and say Pujols will break down later on like McGwire did and that he's a bigger risk.

There's a PR angle here that you can't put a pricetag on, that doesn't fit into "trading player's A and B for X and Y".

Everyone is basically a perceived roider or HGHer it seems.

Do you think if it came out that Pujols was/is using HGH, that teams would trade less for him?

I just don't think teams care as much about this as many think. Seeing as so many are doing it, it would be hard to have a team full of guys who aren't.

They care about it in large part due to PR. It's not good PR to get a star player who's been caught using steroids, especially if it's a big current story(as time goes by people care less/forget). I don't care that much as I just noted, but many fans do.

The other reason as I mentioned, is if they were using, but won't use in the future, their production is likely to decrease.

To answer your question on Pujols, yes, I do think that. The press and the fans would be all over the guy because he's a superstar and has put up such great numbers. The bigger the star, the worse the PR gets. No one cares about guys like Alex Sanchez, but Bonds, McGwire, Pujols, Clemens, yeah, that's a huge story, and that hurts their value due to the negative PR.

Plus, the performance issue above that last paragraph.

Yea but only 2 teams can get options A and B....Once those options are gone, teams will be fighting for C and D.

That statement still means he's have less value. Option C and D has less value than A and B.

What good does it do to publicly release names?

Why brush it under the rug and act like it doesn't matter?

I know that would be your preferred action to take on this as I know you don't really care about this...and honestly, neither do I all that much. I'd like to see names based on sheer curiousity.

But there's an image problem here and baseball needs to at least pretend to give a crap. And by exposing names and making examples it sends a message to fans that DO care.

Completely fair approach as is the opposite. I'm just hoping that whatever is released is as close to complete as possible. Better to have a big bang of negativity with dozens or more names released at once rather than what we have now where it seems like a name or three leaks every month or so.

I can't imagine it will be anywhere near close to complete, but yes, the more complete the better imo. At least that would help my boy Barry.;)

I think you guys overestimate how much people care.

I think you're pretty naive on this one, big guy.

And if people don't care, the media certainly does. ESPN and the rest of the media will be cramming this down your throat whether you like it or not.

And whether you like it or not, it will affect trade values.

I think you guys overestimate how much people care.

Well the press obviously cares, and when their talking/writing about a story all the time, many people are likely to care. I would think the fan reaction at every ballpark around the country to star players who have been caught would also show that you may be underestimating how much people care.

Why brush it under the rug and act like it doesn't matter?

I know that would be your preferred action to take on this as I know you don't really care about this...and honestly, neither do I all that much. I'd like to see names based on sheer curiousity.

But there's an image problem here and baseball needs to at least pretend to give a crap. And by exposing names and making examples it sends a message to fans that DO care.

Well I'm not sure it's good for baseball if a bunch of big and popular names are named in this. I would actually say it's bad for the game for the most part.

Well I'm not sure it's good for baseball if a bunch of big and popular names are named in this. I would actually say it's bad for the game for the most part.

Yeah, it's bad for the game, but so would be covering it up. In this day and age, everything gets exposed and leaked to the media.

A lot of times the coverup is worse than the act.

Yeah, it's bad for the game, but so would be covering it up. In this day and age, everything gets exposed and leaked to the media.

A lot of times the coverup is worse than the act.

There wouldn't be a coverup if there was no investigation. Sure some names would come out in the future, but I'd guess that many would not.

Archived