War Cam Eagle?

Big Mac

As far as 'bitter Bama fans', I'm not bitter, I can wipe my tears with my 13 national titles.

Ahh, the ole 13 mythical national championships. If we want to play that game, Auburn has been given a national championship (from whatever sources) 8 times.

Also, I don't think they are making it up, but I do think that they rushed to print without checking their sources properly. I'm sure the NCAA has more information than these so called reporters, and they said Cam is clear to play. Doesn't mean they won't find out more later, but they sure don't have it now.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if anyone, whether here or on ESPN, is going to admit the Albert Means case established the precedent.

SBNation's SEC Blog addressed it:

And I know I'm not the first one to say this, but it bears repeating as often as possible: If this remains the end of the fallout from the Newton recruitment, the Association has not created a massive new loophole in the rules. It has thrown the rulebook out completely.

Non-Auburn fans by and large have voiced that very concern in the wake of this decision. Meanwhile, at least one Auburncentric outlet is bring up Albert Means (how convenient) to say that the precedent here has already been set.

You see Memphis wasn’t involved in any illegal recruiting of Means and he nor his family got any extra benefits. Therefore he was able to play for the Tigers after sitting out a year because of the transfer. Even though money exchanged hands in the Means case, he was still able to play at Memphis.

Well, yes, that's a precedent -- if you ignore the whole "facts of the case" thing. First, there appears to have been no direct benefit to Means or his family in the recruitment of Means, nor any talk of direct benefit to Means or his family. Whether the prospect or his family is involved in the effort to receive benefits would, I think, be something of interest to the NCAA.

Second, Albert Means transferred to Memphis not just after the rules violations had occurred, but after they had been discovered. In other words, Albert Means did not decide to play at Memphis as part of the same recruitment that sparked the NCAA investigation.

Auburn was recruiting Cam Newton at the same time that Mississippi State was, which raises this nagging question: If Auburn really did nothing wrong here, did not pay or arrange to pay Cecil Newton anything, why did [Cecil choose Auburn]?

Sports By Brooks also brings up the precedent of Damon Stoudamire in '95 that the NCAA didn't follow. How convenient.

The Newton situation is not without precedent.

In 1995, the father of Arizona Wildcats basketball star Damon Stoudemire was accused by the NCAA of accepting a plane ticket from an agent. Stoudamire denied knowing of the arrangement while his father, Willie Stoudamire, also denied accepting the ticket.

After the NCAA informed Arizona of its allegation against Stoudamire’s father, the school immediately suspended the star guard while simultaneously filing an emergency appeal with the governing body seeking Stoudamire’s immediate reinstatement.

Danny Robbins of the HOUSTON CHRONICLE reported the details of the NCAA’s decision to force Stoudamire to miss a game while possibly injure his team’s March Madness seeding:

Carrie Doyle, NCAA director of eligibility, said the one-game suspension was considered a sufficient penalty. She also said Stoudamire’s father, Willie, had repaid the value of the ticket.

Stoudamire’s offense? Once again, from the Houston Chronicle:

(Agent Steve) Feldman has admitted that he wants to represent (Damon) Stoudamire and had provided the (plane) tickets to his father in hopes of representing the son on a professional level. Damon Stoudamire states that he had no knowledge of the relationship between his father and Feldman.

Father Willie Stoudamire never admitted to using the plane tickets. So the NCAA made its judgment based on the integrity of the same agent it was investigating for other impropriety.

So basically, the NCAA took the work of a Kenny Rogers-type without any additional evidence and suspended Stoudamire for the final regular season game, which dropped the team from a 2 seed to a 5 seed in the tourney.

SBNation's SEC Blog addressed it:

Sports By Brooks also brings up the precedent of Damon Stoudamire in '95 that the NCAA didn't follow. How convenient.

So basically, the NCAA took the work of a Kenny Rogers-type without any additional evidence and suspended Stoudamire for the final regular season game, which dropped the team from a 2 seed to a 5 seed in the tourney.

Yep, the NCAA and Auburn are in cahoots. That is the logical answer, because we all know how much they love Auburn.:rolleyes:

Yep, the NCAA and Auburn are in cahoots. That is the logical answer, because we all know how much they love Auburn.:rolleyes:

The way they are handling this case, it certainly seems like they love Auburn.

I will say I am so glad we got to have Greg McElroy as our QB over Newton. Newton is a better player, but McElroy is a Rhodes Scholar finalist and outstanding citizen who's never been involved in any troubles in his career. Basically the opposite of Newton. He also set school records this year for TD passes and shattered the record for completion %, (he has a good chance at the pass yards record as well). The best part is, unlike Newton, he didn't cost any money. McElroy is the type of guy I want leading my team and program, not Newton.

Oh by the way, in case anyone hasn't seen this, here's Newton's record with Alachua County Court System:

https://www.alachuaclerk.org/court_records/gis/index.cfm?section=results

Clearly, trouble follows this guy around.

So this is what I heard on the radio yesterday. This is definitely speculation, and if true, I doubt the real story comes out in the near future.

John McMullan, former president and COO of Colonial Bank, is a big Auburn supporter. Colonial Bank had a big presence in Alabama until it failed in 2009. The bank was later sold to BB&T in an FDIC supported deal. Colonial Bank received TARP money (Troubled Asset Relief Program) Colonial Bank was involved in some really shady stuff and are under investigation by the FBI. According to this source, the FBI discovered a slush fund at Colonial that was tied to about 100 ATM cards. These cards were used primarily around campus. There are ATM video of who was withdrawing money. If this has any slice of truth to it, then the Cam Newton story would be the least of Auburn's worries.

Again, I heard this on the Sports Reporters. It could be utter BS, but it's definitely intriguing.

So this is what I heard on the radio yesterday. This is definitely speculation, and if true, I doubt the real story comes out in the near future.

John McMullan, former president and COO of Colonial Bank, is a big Auburn supporter. Colonial Bank had a big presence in Alabama until it failed in 2009. The bank was later sold to BB&T in an FDIC supported deal. Colonial Bank received TARP money (Troubled Asset Relief Program) Colonial Bank was involved in some really shady stuff and are under investigation by the FBI. According to this source, the FBI discovered a slush fund at Colonial that was tied to about 100 ATM cards. These cards were used primarily around campus. There are ATM video of who was withdrawing money. If this has any slice of truth to it, then the Cam Newton story would be the least of Auburn's worries.

Again, I heard this on the Sports Reporters. It could be utter BS, but it's definitely intriguing.

I've heard various rumors about things like this as well. The basic thing I keep hearing is that the whole scandal is much bigger than Cam Newton...who knows what is true we will see. The point is there is a lot of smoke here and this story is FAR from being over.

Yes. It's all BS. Those same rumors about the Colonial Bank being involved also included the rumor that Milton McGregor (Auburn booster currently being investigated by FBI about a separate matter) was caught on an FBI wire tap talking about the pay for play scheme. While the FBI does have tape of him dealing with their other investigation, they have stated that none of it has anything to do with Cam Newton, Auburn, or any pay-for-play thing. Funny how after that, his name completely disappeared from all these rumors going around. Clearly people are grasping for straws.

How about all the Dodge Chargers Bama football players are driving around Tuscaloosa? The fall out from that has been rumored for a while now, and there's plenty of internet rumors that make it seem pretty legit that there's something to it. There's definitely plenty of smoke there considering the ties members of the Red Elephant Club have to a certain Gadsden Dodge car dealership. Now nothing will ever come of it, but if you were going off the internet rumors, it's certainly seemed inevitable a while back. Point being, if you're hanging on to internet rumors as hope that your biggest rival is about to get busted, then i've got a bridge to sell you. And talk about being dirty...it doesn't get any dirtier than the Red Elephant Club. I'd be ashamed to have a group like that "representing" my university.

Oh, and this:

I have a hard time believing Cam switched from Miss St to Auburn days after his commitment, without even visiting Auburn or showing any interest in them,

Cam never commited to Mississippi St. Ever. He never gave them any kind of official verbal committment. Ever. He committed to Auburn two weeks after his first visit to the Plains, and Auburn had been actively recruiting him for about a month prior (and was actually recruiting a teammate of his at Blinn CC when they first decided to go after him). Try to actually state correct facts if you're trying to make a point, because it makes you look like you're blatantly twisting things.

You're the one who said no one is addressing the Albert Means "precedent." That's all I did.

And btw, it's not just "bitter" Bammers and ESPN that think this was a ridiculous decision. It's pretty much everyone in college football.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/03/sports/ncaafootball/03auburn.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=jim%20delany&st=cse

You're the one who said no one is addressing the Albert Means "precedent." That's all I did.

And btw, it's not just "bitter" Bammers and ESPN that think this was a ridiculous decision. It's pretty much everyone in college football.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/03/sports/ncaafootball/03auburn.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=jim%20delany&st=cse

So, how are you distinguishing Means from this case. Neither player got benefits (though Bama did pay someone in Means' case), and each player transferred to a school that wasn't involved in any payment plan. What is the difference?

So, how are you distinguishing Means from this case. Neither player got benefits (though Bama did pay someone in Means' case), and each player transferred to a school that wasn't involved in any payment plan. What is the difference?

Did you not read the giant block quote I posted?

Did you not read the giant block quote I posted?

Yeah, it's very flimsy. We substitute coach for dad. I guess if the coach did it, then there was no way that Means would have known huh? But, if the dad did it, then absolutely Cam knew. Did Means not wonder why his coach was sending him on all these recruiting trips?

The second paragraph is completely meaningless. Why does it matter when he decided to play at Memphis?

The third paragraph is a pretty crappy conclusion. If they don't buy the other crap, I'll just go with the ole "well, prove Auburn didn't do anything wrong." I didn't realize the burden of proof was on the alleged wrongdoer to prove anything.

I still haven't seen any motive for the NCAA to take it easy on Auburn. Why would they do that? If they don't take it easy on Alabama and USC, two of its most important programs, why would they take it easy on Auburn? Maybe because there is no proof? Nah, that couldn't be the case.

Archived