War Cam Eagle?

Big Mac

I have a pretty good feeling that we'll see the fire behind this smoke sooner than later. You and all the other Barners can sit around and criticize the "shoddy" journalism all you want, but there's obviously something behind the pure volume of the reports.

I really don't understand the fascination of Alabama fans with this story. I think it just goes to show the pettiness of the majority of their fanbase. Their team is not as good as they were supposed to be, so now they are hoping that Auburn gets brought down. It's kind of sad, but to each his own.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really don't understand the fascination of Alabama fans with this story. I think it just goes to show the pettiness of the majority of their fanbase. Their team is not as good as they were supposed to be, so now they are hoping that Auburn gets brought down. It's kind of sad, but to each his own.

You act like Auburn fans didn't take pleasure when Alabama got nailed.

Here's the simple formula: We don't like Auburn + bad things happening to Auburn = Schadenfreude to the max.

You act like Auburn fans didn't take pleasure when Alabama got nailed.

Here's the simple formula: We don't like Auburn + bad things happening to Auburn = Schadenfreude to the max.

I know that I really don't care when Alabama gets in trouble with the NCAA. I just want to kick the crap out of them every chance we get. But like I said, to each his own.

It's not just Alabama fans, the whole country is fascinated with this story.

You act like major allegations against the Heisman trophy front-runner isn't noteworthy.

It's not just Alabama fans, the whole country is fascinated with this story.

You act like major allegations against the Heisman trophy front-runner isn't noteworthy.

Vegas is pulling the odds on the upcoming Auburn game because some of them believe there's a good chance Cam Newton doesn't play this week. This is getting interesting...and I hate Bama. So, there goes the 'only Bama fans are following this story' idea...

I don't recall ever saying that it was just Alabama fans. I pointed out that the interest from Bama fans is astonishing. They seem to be more concerned about this than Auburn fans. That's my point.

As far as it being noteworthy, of course it is. What I've been saying for the most part is that 2 of the 3 stories have already been shown to have major factual problems, yet they have yet to retract the falsehoods. It's a prime example of how shoddy this reporting has been.

Also FLK, I'm sure you noticed in the story that you cited that this was not an uncommon practice. And, that the reason they are doing this is because new "information" keeps coming out.

And now the 3rd story has questions too.

SEC spokesman Charles Bloom confirmed MSU's account. He also said there was no mention of the reported conversations in either of the school's reports to the league. He declined to comment further.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2010-11-10-cam-newton-mississipppi-state_N.htm

I don't know what happened here, but these people need to get their stories straight before coming out with any more info. Stop worrying about scooping people and just get the story right. Of course, maybe MSU didn't report the conversations because it casts them in a negative light.

Kenny Rogers just rolled on Cecil Newton on Dallas 103.3 FM. They just replayed it on Finebaum. He said that Cecil Newton stated that it would take $100K to $180K to sign his son. So Rogers basically just did a total 180 on his denial from last Friday. So many shady characters in this ordeal. It appears that Kenny Rogers was only the broker for MSU. Still no direct link to Auburn.

EDIT: And if you don't believe me:

On ESPN 103.3 in Dallas, Kenny Rogers quotes Cecil Newton, "It's not going to be free this time." Wanted $100k-180k from Miss. St. 12 min ago via web

http://twitter.com/#!/Ivan_Maisel/status/2825390208847872

Kenny Rogers just rolled on Cecil Newton on Dallas 103.3 FM. They just replayed it on Finebaum. He said that Cecil Newton stated that it would take $100K to $180K to sign his son. So Rogers basically just did a total 180 on his denial from last Friday. So many shady characters in this ordeal. It appears that Kenny Rogers was only the broker for MSU. Still no direct link to Auburn.

EDIT: And if you don't believe me:

http://twitter.com/#!/Ivan_Maisel/status/2825390208847872

For whatever reason, this one has me a little concerned. It doesn't implicate Auburn at all, but it could lead to Cam being ineligible. That said, this guy said something completely different the other day. Why did he suddenly change his story, and go on air to tell everyone about it? Ugghhh, the saga continues.

For whatever reason, this one has me a little concerned. It doesn't implicate Auburn at all, but it could lead to Cam being ineligible. That said, this guy said something completely different the other day. Why did he suddenly change his story, and go on air to tell everyone about it? Ugghhh, the saga continues.

Basically, the solicitation of benefits makes him ineligible the moment of the solicitation. So, if this is true, Auburn will have to vacate all its wins and Cam's career is over. I'd be very nervous about that. From Scarbinsky's column:

NCAA spokesperson Stacey Osburn told The Birmingham News by email that "the solicitation of cash or benefits by a prospective student-athlete or another individual on his or her behalf is not allowed under NCAA rules."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/11/kenny_rogers_says_he_witnessed.html

I agree that Rogers's credibility is not the best right now after his vehement denial on Friday, but I bet he thought he could still keep it under wraps then. With more and more info coming out, he was probably advised to come clean (he had his lawyer on the line with him on the radio). Plus, his new story pretty much corroborates the original ESPN and NYT reports.

The question after that becomes whether Auburn ended up paying for Newton, which seems like a pretty likely proposition. Cecil Newton apparently thought he could get a deal with MSU and Cam was all prepared to go there, then suddenly Cecil switched schools. Whether or not a payment from Auburn can be proved or not is a big question, but you never know if the NCAA will hit them with the old "lack of institutional control" stick.

Archived