Bowden: O's have made significant offer to Konerko

section36

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By it's very nature of the draft compensation, Konerko's dollar value to the Orioles is higher than it is to a contender because our losing a pick somewhere around pick 65 is a lot less valuable than the first round Top 16-30 pick a contender would lose. Of course that changes if Konerko becomes the second Type A signed by a given team. There's always the chance that he would bring back in trade or future compensation (even if he's a Type B) more in value than the pick we'll have to give up this year.

Konerko's OPS vs lefties

2010 1.102

2009 1.009

2008 .825

career .925

Warning: sample size issues

vs Brett Cecil 2.467

vs David Price 1.333

vs Cliff Lee 1.125

vs Jon Lester 1.050

vs Andy Pettitte 1.010

vs CC Sabathia .744

I have to withhold judgement at this point since we have nothing but a vague tweet that we have made a significant offer. But I'm surprised by those who are dismissing this as an awful idea. I'll say that I'm probably in favor of any two-year deal and have some interest in considering a three-year deal.

The comparison to Lee doesn't go past an interesting message board discussion that has to start with, "If Lee would come here for this offer and Konerko would come here for this offer, who would you prefer?" Those "if's" make it an irrelevant conversation for the real world because of the information that we don't know.

The only post amongst those that was extremely negative on Konerko that peaked my interest was one that listed multiple options.

I would prefer we sign Lee. I doubt any performance advantage that Derrek Lee may hold over Konerko in 2011 would be worth the lost pick and extra commitment in terms of years and dollars.

That said, I would still be excited if we signed Konerko, but more tentatively excited and with less faith that our FO really covets draft picks.

If I'm off base let me know, but looking at the stats they're very similar players, so it all depends on the deal.

Normalizing their stats from 06-10 and factoring in age and a change to the AL East, I would offer these:

Prediction for normal year

Lee: 20hr, 90 rbi, .285 .365

Konerko: 30hr, 100 rbi, .280 .350

Prediction for bad year

Lee: 15hr, 70 rbi, .250 .335

Konerko: 22hr, 70 rbi, .240, .345

All things being equal I would prefer Konerko. Even with the draft pick I prefer Konerko. If Konerko wants more than a couple years, I prefer Lee.

They're both good options. But I would say it's a pretty safe bet that Konerko will put up my normal year prediction next year, and probably in 2012. anything after that is a question mark.

But I can't say the same for Lee. To me he is right now the question mark Konerko will be in a couple years. He had a good quarter year in Atlanta, but he had a horrible year in Chicago, where he showed he was slowing in just about every aspect of his game.

If Lee can keep the form he showed in Atlanta and is willing to take a 1 or 2 year deal, he would be an absolute steal, if he goes back to the horrible approach in Chicago, he's another stop-gap that didn't work out.

Now, if Konerko is priced out or looking for anything over 2- or 3-with-options years I would have to lean towards Lee.

Essentially I would guess they're offering what they think Konerko is worth/what they can afford. If he doesn't take it I bet they make a big one-year offer to Lee with a reachable mutual option for 2012.

well ok then. Would you say my normal year prediction is off base?

Well, since 2000, DLee has averaged 28 homers a season but other than that, you are pretty close.You are pretty much right there with Konerko.

The difference between the 2 has been the consistency of Lee and his defense is much better.

I really could care less to be honest. Konerko makes us better, Lee makes us better, Pena makes us better. We talk about losing a draft pick, but it is not like we throw money around when it comes to the draft. If we gave away a second pick couldn't we just sign a first or second round player from the the Domincan? Couldn't we draft an overslot guy or two and pay up for them.

What the Orioles should be doing is landing as many draft picks as possible and investing heavily in the draft. We are likely going to lose in 2011 and 2012 with any combination of players we are likely to land in those two offseasons. Good players do not want to play for the Orioles. Even Tex didn't want to come here! Save the money, field a team that continues to develop and try to grow the minor league system. We have lost for so long that .500 seems like an accomplishment. Even if we make that jump, we will need to make a similar jump to become a true threat in the AL East.

It feels like we are getting better as our core gets older and more expensive. By the time we start playing really well we might be looking at an expensive Adam Jones, Matt Wieters, Brian Matusz, and Nick Markakis. Brian Roberts isn't getting any younger either. Guthrie is one good season away from being a 4/$48M type guy IMO. Jorge De LaRosa just got 3/$34M and Guthrie would do better than him in the NL (IMO).

I am really tired of the comments regarding players not wanting to play here, confederate money being offered, and the AL East being tough, but all of those things seem to be true. Now, if the Orioles go out and get Beltre, Konerko, and Bartlett/Hardy while helping their bullpen then I will feel that the Orioles could shock some people, but that is not likely to happen. Crawford/Werth and Beltre can easily be members of the Red Sox in 2011. Teams are just able to reload so quickly in the East. The Jays are good, the Red Sox are good, the Yankees are good, the Rays are good..... The Orioles need to be really good to compete with these teams.

Well, since 2000, DLee has averaged 28 homers a season but other than that, you are pretty close.You are pretty much right there with Konerko.

The difference between the 2 has been the consistency of Lee and his defense is much better.

Konerko is a guy who can finish in the top-5 in MVP voting. He is a leader by all accounts and one of the single additions that can really help this team IMO. We look at stats and try to argue one guy or another, but leaders are important and they can go a long way towards changing the morale of a team. Lee is a good player and I get that he is cheaper all around, but he is just as risky as Konerko. I will be ok with either guy, but I really think that Konerko brings more to the table.

Konerko is a guy who can finish in the top-5 in MVP voting. He is a leader by all accounts and one of the single additions that can really help this team IMO. We look at stats and try to argue one guy or another, but leaders are important and they can go a long way towards changing the morale of a team. Lee is a good player and I get that he is cheaper all around, but he is just as risky as Konerko. I will be ok with either guy, but I really think that Konerko brings more to the table.

Lee brings far less risk because the contract will be more favorable, the defense is better and the pick is kept.

Archived