O's free agents: Dave Cameron v. fangraphs' crowdsource

Frobby

Dave Cameron has a piece up predicting where free agents will land, and how much they'll get. He also gives what the fangraphs' crowdsourcing project said about what the free agents will get. Here's what he has on the Orioles' top free agents:

Chris Davis to the Astros for 5/$130 mm (crowd: 5/$100 mm)

Wei-Yin Chen to the Tigers for 4/$64 mm (crowd: 4/$52 mm)

Matt Wieters to the Braves for 4/$64 mm (crowd: 4/$48 mm)

Darren O'Day to the Mets for 4/$32 mm (crowd: 3/$21 mm)

Gerardo Parra to the Reds for 2/$18 mm (crowd: 3/$24 mm)

Steve Pearce to the Dodgers for 1/$8 mm (crowd: 2/$12 mm)

He also has J.A. Happ as our big free agent acquisition of the winter, at 3/$24 mm (crowd: 3/$33 mm). :puke:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-top-50-free-agent-predictions/

Dave Cameron has a piece up predicting where free agents will land, and how much they'll get. He also gives what the fangraphs' crowdsourcing project said about what the free agents will get. Here's what he has on the Orioles' top free agents:

Chris Davis to the Astros for 5/$130 mm (crowd: 5/$100 mm)

Wei-Yin Chen to the Tigers for 4/$64 mm (crowd: 4/$52 mm)

Matt Wieters to the Braves for 4/$64 mm (crowd: 4/$48 mm)

Darren O'Day to the Mets for 4/$32 mm (crowd: 3/$21 mm)

Gerardo Parra to the Reds for 2/$18 mm (crowd: 3/$24 mm)

Steve Pearce to the Dodgers for 1/$8 mm (crowd: 2/$12 mm)

He also has J.A. Happ as our big free agent acquisition of the winter, at 3/$24 mm (crowd: 3/$33 mm). :puke:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-top-50-free-agent-predictions/

How they must conclude we will utterly suck then.

This is silly. Why would anyone pay Parra 2/18M or Pearce 8 M? If the Astros can pay Davis 5/130 M so can we. He'll have to get more than that not to remain an O, IMO.

Agreed on all counts. I'd easily go 6/$140 for Davis. If we offered Pearce 1/$6 I think he would stay. Parra, I don't want.

In order for us to pay Davis what I feel comfortable with, the O's are going to have to accept the fact that unless they rebuild through the draft for the next few years, they will have to have a minimum annual budget of $130M starting in 2016.

Agreed on all counts. I'd easily go 6/$140 for Davis. If we offered Pearce 1/$6 I think he would stay. Parra, I don't want.

In order for us to pay Davis what I feel comfortable with, the O's are going to have to accept the fact that unless they rebuild through the draft for the next few years, they will have to have a minimum annual budget of $130M starting in 2016.

You might have to give Pearce two years.

• 3 weeks later...

Happ just got 3/$36 mm from the Blue Jays. Looks like the market prices will be robust, or the Blue Jays just misjudged the market badly.

Happ just got 3/$36 mm from the Blue Jays. Looks like the market prices will be robust, or the Blue Jays just misjudged the market badly.

Or maybe both. Happ is lovely. But it is a real reach to think he will perform at that level for three years.

Archived