vs. MARINERS 5/10

OFFNY

I haven't been able to watch the games consistently until this week, and I have noticed this so far about Derrek Lee:

It seems to me that he is standing too far away from home plate. Already several times, including twice in this game, I have seen him step into his swing and not be able to reach a pitch that was on the outer part of the plate. It seems that his timing is on but he is just reaching too far and is not able to make solid contact on outside pitches.

I wouldn't claim to know more about hitting than Lee or his coaches, but this seems odd to me. Even though he starts with the open stance and steps towards home as he swings, he still can barely reach the outside corner with his swing and often misses fastballs away simply because he wasn't able to extend far enough to reach them. Does anyone know if he has traditionally stood so far from the plate? Is this something he has always done and has simply lost bat speed?

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh crap, Rapada is up, please no. Why torture me like this? First they send down the wrong guy, now the guy they should have designated is up in the pen. :angryfire:

Meh. 6 of one half dozen of the other.

I haven't been able to watch the games consistently until this week, and I have noticed this so far about Derrek Lee:

It seems to me that he is standing too far away from home plate. Already several times, including twice in this game, I have seen him step into his swing and not be able to reach a pitch that was on the outer part of the plate. It seems that his timing is on but he is just reaching too far and is not able to make solid contact on outside pitches.

I wouldn't claim to know more about hitting than Lee or his coaches, but this seems odd to me. Even though he starts with the open stance and steps towards home as he swings, he still can barely reach the outside corner with his swing and often misses fastballs away simply because he wasn't able to extend far enough to reach them. Does anyone know if he has traditionally stood so far from the plate? Is this something he has always done and has simply lost bat speed?

I think he can reach a normal slider. Pineda's is NOT normal. :eek:

Archived