Why is Nick choking up?

Sports Guy

http://www.thesportjournal.org/article/choke-grip-facilitates-faster-swing-and-stride-times-without-compromising-bat-velocity-and-b

Swing time (bat quickness) and stride time

Two important findings in the present study were the significant reduced swing time (increased bat quickness) and stride phase time when using a choke-up grip swing. These results support the belief of many intercollegiate hitting coaches and players (Delmonico, 1996; DeRenne, 2007; Gwynn, 1998; Kindall & Winkin, 2000; Polk, 1978; Stallings, J. & Bennett, B. [Eds.], 2003) that using a choke-up grip results in a “quicker” bat during the swing (DeRenne & Blitzbau, 1990). When choking up, the hitters adjusted their swing mechanics for more bat control resulting in less stride time and increased bat quickness while not sacrificing a significant loss in bat velocity. In addition, the choke-up hitter may have better control the bat due to the smaller moment of inertia of the bat about the hands that choking up on the bat creates (Adair, 1990; Bahill & Karnavas, 1989; Fleisig et al., 2002).

Based on the results, the choke-up grip bat controlled swing may give hitters 0.039 seconds or 10% more time to decide whether or not to swing at a pitch. This may help the hitters to see the ball longer, due to the trunk being in a more open position and a smaller moment of inertia of the bat allow the choke-up hitter to have more time to “wait on the pitch”. Furthermore, the decrease in stride phase time using a choke-up grip may result in less total body movement for greater balance and possibly improved visual clarity (DeRenne, 2007), while maintaining the same stride length compared to the normal grip.

Linear bat velocity

Choking up on the bat for more bat control allowed the hitters to reduce the moment of inertia of the bat about the hands (Adair, 1990; Bahill & Karnavas, 1989). That is, more of the bat mass was closer to the hands, so the summation of mass times distance squared (Σ (m·r2)) was reduced. Similarly, in golf, to increase club control and maximize the accuracy of pitching and chipping shots, professional golfers choke-down the grip-handle toward the shaft to produce a lower grip on the club and a slower/shorter backswing (Hume, Keogh, & Reid, 2005). In addition in assessing putting kinematics of low-handicap golfers versus high-handicap players, Paradisis and Rees (2002) reported that low-handicap players positioned their leading hand ~8cm further down the shaft of the club than the high-handicap players. In the present study, while the smaller moment of inertia in the choke-up group may lead to faster movements and to a diminished force production in accordance with the force-velocity relationship for muscle. This may be an important factor in helping to explain why linear bat velocity at bat-ball contact was less using a more controlled choke-up grip swing compared to a normal grip swing. It also may be that while choking up, the bat is “shorter”, thus, the distal endpoint of the bat is closer to the axis of rotation and traveling slower compared to the a normal grip swing. Therefore, the slower bat linear velocity at bat-ball contact when using the choke-up grip compared to the normal grip could be related to either or both of these factors.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You beat me to it CT.. I was gonna go all physics on you guys and but this quote does it better than I could.

Choking up gives you more speed, but less mass so it evens out.

Since it also gives you more bat control I think it's better than even.

But Nick's issues have nothing to do with bat control.

Its a lack of power and swinging at too many bad pitches.

He has never choked up before.

I just wonder if he is worrying about contact right now...and if he is, who in the hell is telling him to worry about that since that isn't his issue at all?

Last 14 days:

51 plate appearances, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts - 354/392/458 - 850 OPS (3 XBH including a home run..)

Last 7 days:

24 plate appearances, 3 walks,2 strikeouts - 476/542/524 - 1.065 OPS (1 XBH)

In May he brought his BA up from 206 to 249. OPS from 568 to 640.

In June brought his BA from 249 to 260. His OPS from 629 to 654.

But Nick's issues have nothing to do with bat control.

Its a lack of power and swinging at too many bad pitches.

He has never choked up before.

I just wonder if he is worrying about contact right now...and if he is, who in the hell is telling him to worry about that since that isn't his issue at all?

Nick's issues were/are certainly related to bat control. Typically poor control results in more weak popups or groundouts.

Typically hitters that are slumping like Nick was/has been (i.e. weak popup after popup or weak ground after groundout) will try a few different approaches: ligher bat, choking up a bit, etc. Nick's probably choking up to get his swing more in check and to try and slap the ball the other way.

This isn't even vaguely analogous.

Sure it is..people are ignoring the larger sampling and trying to focus on a few guys who have shown power while choking up.

For the most part, choking up is what you do for more control and to make contact...neither of those ae Nick's issues.

if choking up did limit power, which it doesn't, it certainly helps him raise his avg. and get more hits. Maybe once he starts getting on base more often he will stop choking up so he can hit for more power. Although he might not, considering he is a pro ball player im sure he knows that choking up isn't affecting his power

Nick's issues were/are certainly related to bat control. Typically poor control results in more weak popups or groundouts.

Typically hitters that are slumping like Nick was/has been (i.e. weak popup after popup or weak ground after groundout) will try a few different approaches: ligher bat, choking up a bit, etc. Nick's probably choking up to get his swing more in check and to try and slap the ball the other way.

Agree with this...weak pop ups and weak groundouts. I don't care about the contact rate if it's crappy contact. Nick hasn't been hitting the ball with authority at all. There's no reason why he shouldn't try choking up.

Sure it is..people are ignoring the larger sampling and trying to focus on a few guys who have shown power while choking up.

For the most part, choking up is what you do for more control and to make contact...neither of those ae Nick's issues.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, I just think it's a poor analogy.

if choking up did limit power, which it doesn't, it certainly helps him raise his avg. and get more hits. Maybe once he starts getting on base more often he will stop choking up so he can hit for more power. Although he might not, considering he is a pro ball player im sure he knows that choking up isn't affecting his power

Choking up DOES limit power. I won't get into the physics but the longer the club the more torque you can generate. It is why all the long drivers use like 50 inch shafts instead of 45 inch. Power goes up, control goes down the longer the shaft/bat. That is a fact.

Have you ever swung a baseball bat of a golf club?

Archived