vs. YANKEES 7/29

OFFNY

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not as much as trying to clean the family computer of malware, wow was it ever infected. I think now that I have it somewhat clean, I will back up the Quicken data and wipe and re-install winbloze.

Very off-topic for a game thread, but I run Ubuntu Linux. Viruses are basically impossible to get, (1) because Linux is more secure than Windows, and (2) most Windows software doesn't even run properly on Linux (or to do so requires technical expertise, not just click and run). So even if they downloaded malware, they wouldn't know how to run it. :laughlol:

You basically would just have to preinstall stuff in a way that is safe and user-friendly for the non-technical family members. Once you have things set up "just right", it's a very easy to use operating system. Only one person in your family has to learn some of the innards, enough to get the wrinkles smoothed out. Every other user of that computer will judge it as easy to use as Windows 7 or Mac OS X, with a similar user interface.

And yeah, you can run Quicken.

I have no reason to try and sell it to you because it's free (both as in freedom and price), but I think you and your family would like it. My mother who is a lifelong Windows user has learned Ubuntu perfectly well. She knows how to use Firefox or Chrome (with Flash and Java support), play casual games, run the native calculator program, use OpenOffice for documents, use Pidgin instead of MSN Messenger, and she loves the Humble Bundle games. Your kids might be disappointed that Steam and most games that run on it aren't well-supported (if at all) by Wine, but that might give you an excuse to not have to buy them games on Steam. ;)

Anyway, I haven't had even a whiff of a virus since I started to use Linux as my primary operating system a couple years ago. It's really to the point where you can pretty much do anything except play the latest high-end games, and for that you might as well buy a console like an Xbox or PS3. You seem like you'd be in the target market for Linux because your family users are not tech-wise enough to know when they're seeing a download that may be malware. Linux doesn't care about those because, 99.999% of the time, the software is fundamentally incompatible with Linux, so it won't run. There are commercial virus scanners for Linux, though, if you feel you need one.

That would be my daughters. I never use that machine. I have my own computer, a nice secure linux machine.

I missed this message while I was writing you a litany about the virtues of running Linux. Way to go, bro! ;) I watch and/or listen to the O's games, post on the forums, and all that using my Linux box. :thumbsup1:

I missed this message while I was writing you a litany about the virtues of running Linux. Way to go, bro! ;) I watch and/or listen to the O's games, post on the forums, and all that using my Linux box. :thumbsup1:

It's all good, I totally agree with your long winded message, +1 as it were.

Archived