Connolly: Lee to Pitt For 1B Aaron Baker

Remember The Alomar

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He hits righties very well, struggles with left hand pitching. Hits better in the day than the night games. 23 years old in A Ball. He should be at Bowie in a few days. What I don't get is why are we stockpiling 1st basemen?

For the reason that 1) we aren't gonna get Prince Fielder no matter how much we pray we do to the Orioles Gods of baseball and 2) we haven't had a great 1B since Raffy and.....um....yeah.......

Really, it's this simple. If the money allows us to sign Esposito and Delmonico, it's a good move.

I'll say it again (not to you, just in general venting about this team)...

If you draft a guy, and know his demands, you better be prepared to sign him at that amount or close to it. You should not have to trade current salary to sign players you have already drafted, that money should already be allotted in a separate budget.

I'll say it again (not to you, just in general venting about this team)...

If you draft a guy, and know his demands, you better be prepared to sign him at that amount or close to it. You should not have to trade current salary to sign players you have already drafted, that money should already be allotted in a separate budget.

Oh I agree completely. (But) this is the O's, who continuously sign free agents for $6-8M contracts who won't really effect the outcome of the season's results, and then have to do things like drafting Matt Hobgood for exactly the reason you state above. In a well-run organization the amatuer draft, international signings, and general talent acquisition would take precedence over plugging holes on a last place team with $6-8M free agents.

Also, apparently Esposito definitely reneged on the number that we believed he would sign at.

http://rumbunter.com/2010/07/28/aaron-baker-can-hit-bombs-but-can-he-be-the-pirates-next-power-hitter/

He has a big swing at the plate which has produced some generous production for the Power. He currently is tied for third in the SALLY League HR standings, just three off the pace. We think with some work, he could be a nice addition to Bradenton by the end of the season. But can he climb through the Pirates ranks in time to help the core?

Archived