Brian Roberts: I am concerned

srock

What costs 10 million dollars and doesn't do anything?

Brian Roberts.

I hope he gets well but he is just a story to read for the casual fan...I don't even read his updates anymore.

This is the kind of thing that irks me. Some people act like the guy did this on purpose so he could sit around and just collect a check. Have some empathy.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, Roberts is making small gains and you just have to hope he continues improving. I expect him to go on the 60-day DL but I won't be that surprised if he makes it back to the majors in June or later. I think the Orioles have to plan as if he is never playing again, but I still think there is a decent chance he will play at some point.

He does not. Pete likely saves some money if Roberts goes back on the 60 day D/L and insurance picks up a big chunk of the tab. I'd be very surprised that the Orioles weren't covered in this way given the size of the multi-year deal they gave Roberts.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a cap either to the amount or the number of years insured, or both. This complicates things in my mind on the following basis: As long as insurance is picking up the majority of the cost of his rehab, there's little incentive to do anything other than continue the rehab. I don't care in the slightest about the size of PA's monetary loss, but I do care about the limbo the uncertainty over BRob's condition forces on the Orioles.

the idea of Roberts falling on a $20million sword for Peter Angelos' behalf isn't happening though.

This.

First of all, he has several other people helping to make that decision. It is not his to make.

Secondly, the best scenario would be him taking a 2 to 3 million dollar haircut to get the seventeen million or so up front.

Third, he still wants to play, Look at his arms if you don't believe this.

It is a sad situation.

Wish people would remember what Brian has gone through to get to this point. For him to be around his team, taking BP in front of fans its miles from where he was last August. Concussion is not like a pulled muscle or strained abdomen when you can tough it out and play. I hope Brian keeps improving, last year I thought there was no chance of him every playing again. But now I can see number 1 taking his spot at 2nd base at some point during this season.

For those who have forgotten this article or never seen it, its a good read about BRob

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-11-22/entertainment/bs-sm-roberts-recovery-20111125_1_concussion-test-brian-roberts-bat

This is the kind of thing that irks me. Some people act like the guy did this on purpose so he could sit around and just collect a check. Have some empathy.

Sorry to irk you vab. I feel for Brian Roberts the individual but Brian Roberts of the Orioles I am frustrated with. Of course he didn't do it on purpose and of course he is trying his hardest. But as an already weak organization in the toughest division we now have a handicap of a 39-man roster, 10 million/year tab with nothing to show, and a position that the FO can't fill with a real contributor until 2014 or Roberts retirement.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a cap either to the amount or the number of years insured, or both. This complicates things in my mind on the following basis: As long as insurance is picking up the majority of the cost of his rehab, there's little incentive to do anything other than continue the rehab. I don't care in the slightest about the size of PA's monetary loss, but I do care about the limbo the uncertainty over BRob's condition forces on the Orioles.
Yeah, so far that has cost us one spot on the 40 Man Roster. Gee, if only he would have retired we could have kept Pedro Florimon.

Whether or not Roberts makes it back is only one part of the equation. The other part is whether or not he can still play at the level he and the fans will expect. Lest we forget, BRob is now 34 years old, and even before the concussion, there were subtle signs of the inevitable age-related decline. Obviously, the Orioles are aware of the negatives - they signed a bunch of guys who can play 2B - and are trying to prepare for a future without Roberts. But, they still lack a true lead-off hitter. As opening day draws closer, and if Roberts' recovery doesn't quickly reach the "miraculous" stage, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a trade to get a speedster with a good OBP at the top of the batting order.

I've pretty much counted him out for close to a year now. I don't think he will, or even should, walk away from his contract. I do, however, think the Orioles and Roberts should rework his contract so that he is paid 2 million a year over the next ten years, which would give the Orioles substantially more payroll flexibility over the next two.

Even if Roberts could get healthy enough to play, I wonder if he'd be much of an upgrade over Andino. I'm sure he would draw more walks, but I imagine his fielding wouldn't be even close.

Sorry to irk you vab. I feel for Brian Roberts the individual but Brian Roberts of the Orioles I am frustrated with. Of course he didn't do it on purpose and of course he is trying his hardest. But as an already weak organization in the toughest division we now have a handicap of a 39-man roster, 10 million/year tab with nothing to show, and a position that the FO can't fill with a real contributor until 2014 or Roberts retirement.

So far he is not costing us that much, maybe Matt Angle's spot on the 40 man. As the season begins he will be on the DL and that wont be an issue. At some point this season he will either be able to play, or he will realize that he can't . Then the O's can sit down with him and work out a restructured contract, spread out over 10 years or so, where his salary isn't effecting the the yearly payroll that much. I just don't see the urgency here. The guy wants to play, let him try.

Accidents are unfortunate. I am sorry he chose to hit himself. I am sure he never intended the consequences. I always supported him even when it turned out that he was a PED abuser. I hope he recovers and has a productive life. I have made my share of mistakes in life as well.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NTZFggiXcQM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wish nothing but the best for Brian. He played hard his entire career for a team that never sniffed the playoffs or even had a winning record. That says something.

I do think he should just hang it up and get on with the post-baseball part of his life. It's probably for the best.

Does not. If you retire in MLB you forfeit your contract.

I imagine that the Orioles and Roberts agree to a buy-out of his contract sometime in April. He might "retire" get healthy and then attempt a comeback, but there is no way the Orioles can continue to carry him on the roster.

I imagine that the Orioles and Roberts agree to a buy-out of his contract sometime in April. He might "retire" get healthy and then attempt a comeback, but there is no way the Orioles can continue to carry him on the roster.

Maybe in October when the 60-day DL disappears and he has to go back on the 40-man. I don't see any possible way he would agree to a buyout at any point during the season. Certainly not in April.

So far he is not costing us that much, maybe Matt Angle's spot on the 40 man. As the season begins he will be on the DL and that wont be an issue. At some point this season he will either be able to play, or he will realize that he can't . Then the O's can sit down with him and work out a restructured contract, spread out over 10 years or so, where his salary isn't effecting the the yearly payroll that much. I just don't see the urgency here. The guy wants to play, let him try.

I agree with this, but I'd rather not see this complicating the roster situation next offseason.

Archived