Flaherty as defensive replacement for Reynolds

CA-ORIOLE

Before the error in the 8th, I was thinking that we should consider putting Flaherty in there for Reynolds. I was a bit surprised when Buck did it in the ninth (with a six run lead). I really wish we had a better solution for third base, but I'm thinking putting Flaherty for Reynolds late in close game leads should be SOP. Thoughts?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reynolds at 3b just isn't going to work. I'm scared everytime a ball is hit down there. He just too inconsistent in pretty much all areas. His hands aren't very good and his arm is erratic. I think it's just a matter of time until he settles into the DH role with an occasional start at 3b/1b. He drove Buck crazy down there last year and it's just a matter of time before Buck has had enough this year as well.

Reynolds at 3b just isn't going to work. I'm scared everytime a ball is hit down there. He just too inconsistent in pretty much all areas. His hands aren't very good and his arm is erratic. I think it's just a matter of time until he settles into the DH role with an occasional start at 3b/1b. He drove Buck crazy down there last year and it's just a matter of time before Buck has had enough this year as well.

The only think I will say is that he does look better on that slow roller play from what I've seen. But yeah I agree with you, we can't endure anything close to last years performance. Sadly enough, I'm not sure Wilson Betemit would be any better.

Don't tell some posters that, they think he is just fine there. No big deal.

He is AWFUL there and he is pretty good at 1B, seems like a reasonable fix to me.

Before the error in the 8th, I was thinking that we should consider putting Flaherty in there for Reynolds. I was a bit surprised when Buck did it in the ninth (with a six run lead). I really wish we had a better solution for third base, but I'm thinking putting Flaherty for Reynolds late in close game leads should be SOP. Thoughts?

Reynolds through two games has 1 error, 1 should-have-made-the-play-but-didn't, and one great play by the first baseman to save a throwing error (on a ridiculously routine play). Picking right up where he left off last year. For every one error he gets charged for, he has another play that most third basemen make most of the time.

Reynolds is NOT a 3rd baseman. He is a corner outfielder or a DH. The sooner the O's wise up to this, the sooner the O's are going to win more games. I understand we may not have a viable alternative right now, but, we need one. I've been saying since month two of last season that he is disastrously bad defensively -- especially for this team which has a pitching staff that pitches to contact. Get a slick-fielding 3B, cut the bullcrap mantra that 3B must have power, and put the team on the field that is going to win you the most games.

He is AWFUL there and he is pretty good at 1B, seems like a reasonable fix to me.

Does that mean when he goes the next couple games without an error and makes a couple nice plays I can belittle your opinion this way?

He will be exposed at 1B too. He had a number of errors at 1B last season, and a number of non-error errors as well. It isn't as bad as 3B because he won't need to make throws, but he has terrible hands and poor agility. The only thing he has going for him is a strong arm and good foot-speed -- two traits that play well in the outfield.

He will be exposed at 1B too. He had a number of errors at 1B last season, and a number of non-error errors as well. It isn't as bad as 3B because he won't need to make throws, but he has terrible hands and poor agility. The only thing he has going for him is a strong arm and good foot-speed -- two traits that play well in the outfield.

And, for that matter, play better at third base than first.

Does that mean when he goes the next couple games without an error and makes a couple nice plays I can belittle your opinion this way?

He just isn't a good 3B, he costs us outs. I remember people getting on Melvin Mora and was pretty good over there. But they give Reynolds a pass? Makes no sense to me.

The only think I will say is that he does look better on that slow roller play from what I've seen. But yeah I agree with you, we can't endure anything close to last years performance. Sadly enough, I'm not sure Wilson Betemit would be any better.

Honestly, I'll have to see it to believe it that Betemit or anybody else we were to put down at 3b could be as bad or worse. Reynolds is as just about as bad as it gets for a ML 3B.

Reynolds has no business playing third base. I don't want to be accused of hyperbole. But I can't remember seeing a full time third baseman so awful. I have seen guys with no range. I have seen guys with terrible throwing arms. But there has never been anyone who I am scared every time the ball is hit his way. His hitting improved when taken off third last year. Sensible thing is if you can't trade him..have him dh. Give flaherty a chance. He has looked good no matter what his position. Give betimit and davis spot starts overthere.

Last year, Reynolds's bad defense seemed like an aberration. He had never committed errors at a rate like that before, so I still supported him playing 3B this year to maximize his value.

But if he picks up where he left off, then yes, that's not okay. It's a bit quick to make a judgment, but it sure looks like that's what's happening.

Archived