Flaherty as defensive replacement for Reynolds

CA-ORIOLE

I come at this from a slightly different angle. Right now we don't know if we have an everyday first baseman on this team. Davis has a long way to go to prove he is an everyday player, and Johnson is injury-prone and did not play at the major league level last year. If neither one of those guys steps up, then Reynolds will probably have to move to first base with either Flaherty, Betemit or Andino playing third. My main hope is that we can keep Betemit where he belongs--DHing as the left-handed side of a platoon situation.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does that mean when he goes the next couple games without an error and makes a couple nice plays I can belittle your opinion this way?

Since when do you need permission to belittle someone's opinion? :laughlol:

I was really disappointed to see the way Reynolds played the past couple games. I am totally open to giving Reynolds a nonbiased look there for awhile this year. He knew his defense was unacceptable and said he'd work on it. Well, this is not a good start. I'm not writing him off just yet but some of those plays he didn't make had me shaking my head. If you ask me he should have about 3 errors by now, not just one. That is crazy bad, not just kinda bad.

Reynolds has no business playing third base. I don't want to be accused of hyperbole. But I can't remember seeing a full time third baseman so awful. I have seen guys with no range. I have seen guys with terrible throwing arms. But there has never been anyone who I am scared every time the ball is hit his way. His hitting improved when taken off third last year. Sensible thing is if you can't trade him..have him dh. Give flaherty a chance. He has looked good no matter what his position. Give betimit and davis spot starts overthere.

I find it odd that so many people deny how atrocious he is at 3B. Whatever. Clearly we are stupid and clueless. Why even bother posting I guess.

I find it odd that so many people deny how atrocious he is at 3B. Whatever. Clearly we are stupid and clueless. Why even bother posting I guess.

The cluelessness comes from your absurd position on how people feel and rate Reynolds. You see someone say that he had shown improvement before coming here and that he deserves another chance and take that to a level of, we are fine with him and think he is good...So yes, your interpretation of what is being said is, without question, stupid and clueless.

Let me ask you this...Do you think you know more about IF defense than Mike Bordick?

Even though Reynolds has looked shaky at third, it's too early to use Flaherty as a defensive replacement. He literally slumped in the field last year. The guy has lost weight and worked hard on his defense in the offseason. Using a Rule 5 rookie as a defensive replacement would lliterally be a slap in the face at this point. I think he has to be given a much longer leash than three games.

The cluelessness comes from your absurd position on how people feel and rate Reynolds. You see someone say that he had shown improvement before coming here and that he deserves another chance and take that to a level of, we are fine with him and think he is good...So yes, your interpretation of what is being said is, without question, stupid and clueless.

Let me ask you this...Do you think you know more about IF defense than Mike Bordick?

The Orioles said Reynolds needs to be our 3B, work with Bordick. What the heck do you think he is going to say? Come on. It really doesn't matter because we aren't going to win anything, but if this were a competitive team, they wouldn't have him playing 3B. Similar thing is frustrating about Gregg on the roster. That is one of the many on a long list of issues with the Baltimore Orioles-they tolerate poor performance. Gregg should not be on the roster and Reynolds should be playing 1B or DH-ing.

Let's agree to disagree and avoid the name calling and "classless" titles to something that is slightly more important:)

The Orioles said Reynolds needs to be our 3B, work with Bordick. What the heck do you think he is going to say? Come on. It really doesn't matter because we aren't going to win anything, but if this were a competitive team, they wouldn't have him playing 3B. Similar thing is frustrating about Gregg on the roster. That is one of the many on a long list of issues with the Baltimore Orioles-they tolerate poor performance. Gregg should not be on the roster and Reynolds should be playing 1B or DH-ing.

Let's agree to disagree and avoid the name calling and "classless" titles to something that is slightly more important:)

No he should be at third to see if he can improve because that's where his value lies. As you said, this team isn't going anywhere so the best thing to do is maximize value.

You are overrating him at first as well.

And how about you avoid constantly putting words into people's mouths and misrepresenting their arguments?

Reynolds has no value. No one will trade for him at his salary. And he is. Hurting our young pitchers with his awful fielding. He is better first baseman than third baseman. That is obvious from watching him play. They whole team played well defensively today. Something you wouldn't be able to say if reynolds was playing third

Reynolds has no value. No one will trade for him at his salary. And he is. Hurting our young pitchers with his awful fielding. He is better first baseman than third baseman. That is obvious from watching him play. They whole team played well defensively today. Something you wouldn't be able to say if reynolds was playing third
His salary isn't that bad and come July, it will be like 3.5-4 million.

Palmer made a side comment about Betemit today... basically "it was nice to see a smooth play over there" or to something to that effect. I understand the argument for Reynolds based on his past statistics (bad but not epically bad), but I think there is going to be a short leash if he continues to play like last year.

Palmer made a side comment about Betemit today... basically "it was nice to see a smooth play over there" or to something to that effect. I understand the the argument for Reynolds based on his past statistics (bad but not epically bad), but I think there is going to be a short leash if he continues to play like last year.

Now this I do agree with although he should get until June.

Reynolds has no value. No one will trade for him at his salary.

For someone who whines about the "wrong" kind of WAR you really don't understand what "value" means in baseball.

And he is. Hurting our young pitchers with his awful fielding. He is better first baseman than third baseman. That is obvious from watching him play.

First of all, again, eyes lie. Second of all, by what you seem to think he could let every throw from the infielder bounce off of his orbital bone and be a better first baseman than third baseman, so I'm not all that comfortable with your opinion.

They whole team played well defensively today. Something you wouldn't be able to say if reynolds was playing third

This is, of course, outright wrong. But I'm sure you knew that already.

Archived