Flaherty as defensive replacement for Reynolds

CA-ORIOLE

I think the "standard" adjustments are irrelevant at this point. You'd need to look at the specific players who play on the Orioles and ask (1) how much will you gain defensively compared to whoever would take Reynolds' place, and (2) how much offense you will lose by giving AB to whoever is now at 3B and taking AB away from others.

Right, if the difference at DH is +1.5 WAR over say Betemit, and then the difference at 3B is a net of +1.5 WAR for minus the offense of Betemit, who goes to the bench, plus the defensive improvement playing say Flaherty over Reynolds at 3B then it's easy to see. I think it's more likely the total improvement ends up like 1-2 WAR different, but that depends on if Reynolds offense improves not having to play the field and if Flaherty responds well to playing every day. There are a lot of variables, and not every player can mentally handle playing DH.

I talked to a freshman at NC State the other day who said off the record he likes DHing because it's better than sitting out, but hates not being in the field, it throws off his feel of the game.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the "standard" adjustments are irrelevant at this point. You'd need to look at the specific players who play on the Orioles and ask (1) how much will you gain defensively compared to whoever would take Reynolds' place, and (2) how much offense you will lose by giving AB to whoever is now at 3B and taking AB away from others.

So you can trade Antonelli (if on roster) and Flaherty agianst lefties at 3rd and there offense versus Wilson's bat at DH while moving Mark to DH. Given Wilson can't hit lefties I think I start them at 3rd and Johnson/Davis/Reynolds at DH/1b.

That large gain at D (I think each can be average or better at 3rd) is worth trde every time versus lefties.

Reynolds just had his second charged error. By my count, that's his 6th mistake/misplayed ball so far this young season.

Not just an error, an error that may end up costing the O's the game. And I only have 5 misplays/errors so far, but I haven't watched every inning. I've probably missed 11/12 innings or so.

There is no sugarcoating it, Reynolds is that bad. Throw all the defensive measures you want at me which you can twist to fit an agenda but he's horrible. Tonight was a relatively easy decision to either charge the ball and play the short hop or step back and play the bigger one and he gets caught right in the middle letting the ball play him. You just don't learn how to play balls properly after 5 years in the big leagues, you don't learn to have quick and soft hands after 5 years in the big leagues. He may be able to imporve range, and throwing accuracy but not other deficiencies. When people bring up the eye test it's the things that no defensive stat can measure. So, I don't want to ever hear someone tell me my eyes lie again. I know a poor 3b when I see one. As I said the other day, Buck will get tired of this act pretty quickly, again. He didn't want him at 3b this year anyway but between there being no other great options and Reynolds losing the weight I think he was willing to give him another shot. Reynolds is blowing that pretty quickly and I promise you you won't see as long a leash as he had last year. At this point, I'd bet on Reynolds not making it through May as the reg 3b.

It makes you wonder what the better situation is:

Chris Davis getting consistent time at first, Reynolds at third, or Flaherty getting consistent time at third, Reynolds at first.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Betemit get a lot of starts at 3B, with Reynolds as DH.

It makes you wonder what the better situation is:

Chris Davis getting consistent time at first, Reynolds at third, or Flaherty getting consistent time at third, Reynolds at first.

Flaherty might eventually factor in but the quick move is to just switch Betemit and Reynolds. Betemit might not have great range but I have to think he's much more reliable on the routine plays. He looked solid on the routine plays the other day.

He has to know to not play that short hop. He made a sort of tough play(because Martin runs well) into a very difficult play by playing the short hop. Poor decision on his part. Again, there is a mental issue with him over there. If he can't get over it, he won't be playing third much longer.

Archived