Sports Illustrated power rankings

howboutthoseos

The Ranger broadcast guy said something interesting during the game: there is nothing in the stats of the Orioles that say this should be a team 10 games (now 11) over .500, EXCEPT that they hit a lot of home-runs and have a terrific bullpen. I think in the end, if you want statistics to explain the O's W-L record, that is it. Other than that it's all intangibles, which this team also has in bunches. Those will never be captured by stats though.

This and the fact that they don't score a lot of runs because of a below average offense. So when they get a 3-0, 4-0, or 5-0 lead, it's a lot easier for those games to become closer and end up 1-2 run games. And seeing as how they've done so well in 1 and 2 run games (because of a fantastic bullpen), when they do lose it's by a lot more than that...which causes their rs/ra to make things look a lot worse than they probably are.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WEEK 1

RED SOX PROPOGANDA AD:

"Winning two close contests against the Yankees could be an igniter for the Red Sox to make a late season push."

Wow. 2 ENTIRE close contests from the Yankees ??? And they were close contests, which count for more, since they are clutch. It's much more impressive than if they would have blown the Yankees off the field. But hey, IF THEY HAD blown the Yankees off the field in those 2 games, then we simply would have played up that aspect of it, and described them as dominating beat-downs, through and through.

"With David Ortiz expected back this week, this could be the first time Boston's lineup is at full strength all season, which is scary for the rest of the AL East as only the Blue Jays have scored more runs this year."

REAL SCARY for the real of the A.L. East. Everyone is quivering in their boots about David Ortiz being back, and the Red Sox' lineup being AT FULL-STRENGTH. OOOHHH.

"The Red Sox do need to get a bit more out of Adrian Gonzalez if they want to make a big push though, as his 106 wRC+ would be his lowest of any season with 100 games and he has not taken a walk since June 24."

When making any sort of criticism of this team, be sure to TIPTOE VERY CAREFULLY with our choice of words ....... "The Red Sox do need to get a bit more out of Adrian Gonzalez, as his numbers are cra ....... eh, I mean his 106 wRC+ would be the lowest of any season with 100 games."

P.S. Our deepest apologies to both Adrian Gonzalez individually and the Red Sox as a whole if you feel that we may have dissed you in the slightest way with that last Adrian Gonzalez statement. That WAS NOT our intention. If you deem it necessary, we will promptly issue a public apology for sullying the name and the reputation of your players and your team.

WEEK 2

OK, I have to admit that they weren't as bad with their crush on the Red Sox this time. Still, they can't help themselves from waving the red pom-poms at the end:

"The Red Sox certainly have the talent to make a late season push, so counting them out of it in mid-August may not be wise."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/baseball/mlb/08/13/fangraphs-power-rankings-week-18/index.html#ixzz23eo6Howj

WEEK 3

OK ...... FINALLY, SI/CNN has come full circle, and has made a completely objective analysis of the Red Sox in their "comments" section:

A bad season has taken another turn for the worse, as now the organization is dealing with public reports of players asking for meetings with ownership to discuss their issues with manager Bobby Valentine. Boston continues to underachieve, going just 6-12 in August despite a schedule that included eight games against the Twins and Indians.

Like the Cardinals, the Red Sox' underlying performance suggests that they should have a better record than they actually do, but they have performed the worst when it has mattered the most, winning just 8 of their 24 contests against New York and Baltimore this season. They should be better, but that's been true for a while now, and they're showing no signs of turning their season around.

WEEK 4

Again, they gave a good, honest account of the plight of the 2012 Red Sox without any bias for the 2nd consecutive week:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/baseball/mlb/08/27/fangraphs-power-rankings-week-20/?xid=cnnbin

The Red Sox moved up a spot to # 7, as did the Orioles to # 20, but again, they are using some type of mathematical formula for the actual rankings, hence my critique is strictly of their comments section, of which they are not bound at all (as they are in the rankings.)

WEEK 1

WEEK 2

WEEK 3

WEEK 4

Again, they gave a good, honest account of the plight of the 2012 Red Sox without any bias for the 2nd consecutive week:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/baseball/mlb/08/27/fangraphs-power-rankings-week-20/?xid=cnnbin

The Red Sox moved up a spot to # 7, as did the Orioles to # 20, but again, they are using some type of mathematical formula for the actual rankings, hence my critique is strictly of their comments section, of which they are not bound at all (as they are in the rankings.)

The user comments there are great. Haha.

This is the first time I've read this and WHAT A JOKE! The Red Sox are 9 games back of the Orioles, just traded away half their team and aren't exactly on a huge winning streak either. How in the world are they ranked so high?? I mean, I half get that people are just not going to believe in the O's this year...I mean a ton of this board is still waiting for the bottom to fall out. But to be SO low is ridiculous.

I've mocked these rankings all year but even I wasn't naive enough to think they'd still rank Boston in the top 10 after last week's trade. I thought they'd probably - stupidly - still rank Boston ahead of Baltimore, but I figured they'd "plummet" down into the low teens or something. Seeing Boston still ranked 7th after their horrible month of August (they're 9-15 this month), combined with trading everyone but Pedroia, is down right infuriating.

Not only does it make no sense, it's insulting to me as a baseball fan.

THIS THIS THIS:::::

from Sports on Earth.com

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/37270006/

There’s also a feeling I’ve heard among Orioles fans that WAR is not kind to their players, especially on the defensive side. For instance, Adam Jones is rated -1.4 WAR as an outfielder and so is Nick Markakis. Right or wrong, both those guys have won Gold Gloves, so I’ve heard Orioles fans say there’s something about the ballpark that makes WAR dizzy when it comes to rating outfielders. If you assumed that the Orioles were only a replacement level defense, their WAR record would be 63 or 64 wins, which is in range of their actual record.

We have all discussed how fielding metrics seem to really screw over our outfielders. At least here it gets addressed.

Archived