Opportunity knocks for Ryan Flaherty

postal

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ehh, I think you were the one that deflected the relevance woba/wRC+ and said OPS was good enough metric as it really doesn't matter unless you have some high value and/or absurd extreme. I'm going to agree with you on that point and that moving around 20 points of a 700 OPS is a fairly irrelevant argument.

Flaherty has about 340 ML plate appearances to date. I'm aware of his age and Mil track record. I think it's a bit early to define him. I think he has potential as a regular second baseman with 2-3 WAR upside.

Yup, this is my stance to a tee.

(must spread rep)

Regardless, I don't really see what Ryan has done to earn so much disdain and ridicule from the fans. He might not become a 2-3 WAR 2B, he might just be replacement level or slightly above, but there's still some value in that and that makes him a decent player, whereas he's treated as a grand joke on here.

Perhaps it's because probably 95% of the board called for Ryan to be released at some point last season, and we know how people like to be able to say...

I really hope Buck doesn't just roll out the red carpet for Roberts at 2B. Flaherty has earned more playing time. Let Roberts DH some.
Flaherty is making that harder for him to do as each game passes.

He is 10-for-22 with 3 home runs and a walk in his last 6 games for a batting average of .454, and an on-base-percentage of .478.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/30728/ryan-flaherty

I think RF might be making it easier for Buck to do what Scrat1 suggested. That is, just make Roberts the DH.

He did come pretty close to a 3-run homer tonight (at least it sounded that way based on Manfra's call which made it sound like a no doubter off the bat :)). Then in the bottom of the 8th (I saw this one) he scorched a ball and Elliot Johnson made a great play.

Hopefully he is starting to turn a corner.

At the end of ST or at least some time before Roberts went down, I made a comment in some thread that I thought Flaherty would take the starting job if/when Roberts got hurt and not relinquish it. Well, he certainly hasn't done anything close to that, although his defensive contributions can't be over looked. My next guess is that he would start hitting just before Roberts came back from the DL. Now it looks like Roberts isn't anywhere close to returning and Flaherty is going to get more time to try and show his worth offensively.

Again, hopefully he is starting to turn a corner. That being said if DD and Buck see fit to send Ryan down and call up Navarro, so be it.

Your idea about Urrutia eventually coming in and taking Dickerson's spot is intriguing. I love how he is mashing at Bowie. I don't want to get tooooo excited but, perhaps, if Betemit proves unable to overcome his knee injury maybe Urrutia becomes the LH DH?

Kinda douchey to quote myself, I know :D... However, I think Flaherty keeps his spot when Roberts comes back this weekend and that Ishikawa is sent packing. We'll see...

Flaherty the new DH? Roberts the new DH to keep him healthier?

Interesting decisions ahead...

It's not up to me, but considering how good Flaherty has been on defense this season, it would seem like a no-brainer to keep him there and have Roberts DH, especially since Roberts has been so injury-prone over the last few years ........ unless Showalter feels compelled to insert Roberts at 2B, regardless of any of the surrounding circumstances.

It's not up to me, but considering how good Flaherty has been on defense this season, it would seem like a no-brainer to keep him there and have Roberts DH, especially since Roberts has been so injury-prone over the last few years ........ unless Showalter feels compelled to insert Roberts at 2B, regardless of any of the surrounding circumstances.

Exactly. But I can't get past the feeling that Showalter probably won't DH Roberts. We'll see

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• His OPS has dropped to .898, yes, but his overall AAA performance this year still equates to a 139 wRC+.  20-year-olds who can be 40% better than the field at AAA are a pretty damn good demographic to bet on. Since 2006, I can locate a total of 8 players who’ve done that in a season with more than 100 PAs: Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. Ronald Acuna, Jr. Riley Greene Jay Bruce Wander Franco Freddie Freeman Fernando Martinez Jackson Holliday Fernando was juicing, and god only knows what Wander was doing. Of the guys that weren’t into illegal stuff, Jay Bruce is likely the disappointment of the group, proving to be “just” a 3-time All-Star. Riley Greene still has a bit to go in terms of crafting a resume, but a 128 wRC+ at 23 suggests he’s got the goods. It appears to be basically impossible to succeed to that extent at that level of baseball at that young an age without being preternaturally, supremely gifted. Your points about the nature of his success — very OBP/BB heavy — are interesting and will bear monitoring. I would agree that none of those other guys was carrying a 22% BB rate, so that does set him apart a bit. But the kid is still hitting .270 with an ISO right around .200, so it’s not like he’s just Eddie Gaedel up there, hoping they can’t throw three pitches into his tiny strike zone. Plus, this is a kid with 1:1 tools and elite pedigree/work ethic — I think it’s pretty reasonable to imagine more pop will develop between drinking age and car rental age.   It’s tough for me to imagine a pitcher I would trade him for. That would have the talent and the years of control and the reasonably expected durability that I’d need in order to push that button. Maybe Skenes straight up? Otherwise, I can’t really think of anyone. With the specter of TJS hanging over every arm at the moment, pitchers who are even 2-3 years from FA are one twinge away from giving you almost nothing in return.
    • Since that rough patch in early May he has been really good, just the one hiccup vs TOR. Only one back to back during that period. 2.59 ERA with 12.6 K/9 to 3.7 BB/9 (effectively identical K's/B's to last year). Can't complain about the overall performance, it's just the nature of the beast that the occasional meltdowns are costly. 
    • It makes as much sense as a bunch of Mullins threads in the minor leagues sections because some posters think he should be there.
    • The issues that Cowser has at the major league level with hitting lefties and offspeed are the same issues he had in the minors. Sure, he’s going to continue to adjust, and like I said he’s a young player so they should keep giving him opportunities, especially while they don’t have a righty CF they like. But we can’t pretend like the flaws in Cowser’s game are a new thing that we can expect him to correct for. Maybe he can make some improvements on offspeed, but he’s very likely to still do poorly on those. I think he has a better chance of improving against lefties because of the Gunnar/Holliday thing of just not seeing many good lefties in the minors, but lefty sliders/sweepers are killer on him the same way righty changeup/splitters are. The flip side is he’s also capable of doing what he did last night - doing damage on righty fastballs, even from a guys who have a really good one. Cowser’s defensive metrics right now are really elite and not something you should pro-rate out. Even if he is an elite defender, there should be some regression. Steamer and ZiPS project him for 1.2 and 1.4 WAR in about a half season. I think it’s fair to expect him to be around a 2.5-3 WAR player going forward, even though he should finish higher than that this year on the strength of the the defensive numbers he’s already banked (and could definitely get to 4, which would be a terrific rookie season). The projections have him at about a 112 wRC+. So, a good player. But he currently has a 12th percentile whiff rate. Even with improvements there he’s still going to be flawed. 
    • 2 blowups and runs in 2 other outings.  4 of 11 outings giving up runs PLUS he’s not on the 40 man.     As for Fuji, we got him on July 19.   The prior 30 days he had a 2.77 ERA.  In 11 innings he had 0 walks and 13 K’s.  So as much as they might have loved his pitch shapes they were hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.
    • SG would tell you so. I don’t think either one is perfect, but when they’re out of line I generally assume the truth is in between.  The biggest difference between them is the fielding metrics they use.  Not the only difference. 
    • Hyde gets a lot of flack (me included) for his lineup choices, but I have to say over the last few weeks I feel like he is doing a great job of mixing things up and keeping guys fresh. It helps when most of your options are very good options.
  • Popular Contributors