What is the matter with you people?

Moose Milligan

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Neither though have anything to do with Dan Duquette. Once a new regime comes in, you can't hold past failures against him so I'm not sure why this is prevalent to your current argument. If you are arguing that the Orioles have made a lot of bad decisions over the last 30 years, I doubt you are going to get a ton of people to argue against that.

This was in response to a list of arguments I'd made over the years... as you can see, it prompted El Gordo to call my views "clown ideas."

I don't hold that against DD.

MSK

So it is in your best interest for the O's to lose 100 games a year?

Rough business model.

No, absolutely not. I mean, it's good for us when the interest is high and winning makes the interest high, but when the team loses a tough game, people want to vent so the traffic picks up. The game thread is a great example. We had about 200 people in the forum when JJ blew that game to the Yankees. Then suddenly there were like 500 in the forum and 800 on the board. People like to vent with other fans of their team. This is why I never understand why some people gets all defensive when they do. I mean, I totally get calling someone out for going overboard, but some people feel it's their job to set every reaction straight with the old, "It's just one game" or "it's a long season."

They are of course right, but sometimes it's ok for people to vent. That's why I pay so little attention to them during game threads or obvious reactionary threads after bad events.

The thing is, that's not true at all. Whenever I make a positive post or ask a question (as I did recently about the best way to evaluate pitchers: through spot starts or from the bullpen) and I got maybe 2 or 3 responses.

If I say, hey, this sucked, we needed to sign a, b, c, a lot of folks get enraged and claim shenanigans.

If you were to go through my history, you'd see that I am not here to troll or get into pointless arguments. But I hear what you're saying.

MSK

There are many opinions that I don't agree with fro many different posters on the Hangout, but this may be the most outright ridiculous thing I have ever seen in print. If you truly think this, then your perceptions of yourself are 180 degrees from reality.

No, absolutely not. I mean, it's good for us when the interest is high and winning makes the interest hi, but when the team loses a tough game, people want to vent so the traffic picks up. The game thread is a great example. We had about 200 people in the forum when JJ blew that game to the Yankees. Then suddenly there were like 500 in the forum and 800 on the board. People like to vent with other fans of their team. This is why I never understand why some people gets all defensive when they do. I mean, I totally get calling someone out for going overboard, but some people feel it's there job to set every reaction straight with the old, "It's just one game" or "it's a long season."

They are of course right, but sometimes it's ok for people to vent. That's why I pay so little attention to them during game threads or obvious reactionary threads after bad events.

Good, that is what I figured you meant.

Just the idea of someone running a team site and doing better professionally the worse the team did was a concept I wanted to have a little fun with.

One of the things that annoys me most are the self-designated one-track "the sky is falling and I knew it was falling six years ago and you guys persecuted me for pointing that out" posters. When I see MSK has posted in a thread I assume he's writing about an Oriole failure and how signing big free agents or making big trades would have prevented that from happening and everyone else is an Angelos apologist. And I'm usually right.

In fairness, it can get frustrating to get ganged up on by what appears to be a clique, and when it appears reality over time proves you right, those people who ganged up on you - don't own up to it and instead bash you for reminding them of the facts.

Hypothetically speaking.

In fairness, it can get frustrating to get ganged up on by what appears to be a clique, and when it appears reality over time proves you right, those people who ganged up on you - don't own up to it and instead bash you for reminding them of the facts.

Hypothetically speaking.

People who were never capable of providing any reasonable analysis in the first place aren't in much of a position to remind anybody of the facts. Hypothetically speaking.

This was in response to a list of arguments I'd made over the years... as you can see, it prompted El Gordo to call my views "clown ideas."

I don't hold that against DD.

MSK

I don't know. My experience on here is that if you form a good argument you will get good feedback. If you are prone to hyperbole and can not support it with facts and logic you get hammered. If you do it over and over again or you harp on the same things constantly, your reputation will be just that. I have made dumb comments on here (as most have) and I have gotten called out (as most have). It also helps if you can recognize that there are posters here that are simply more knowledgeable than you. Frankly, that is one of the reasons I am a poster here is for that reason. One of the first rules of writing is to know your audience.

For instance, when you make a comment such as "Garrett Atkins and Adam Eaton were the two worst FA acquisitions in Oriole history", you should expect someone to bring up the fact that the commitment in years and dollars involved do not warrant that title. You have a few choices. Provide facts or logic to support your position, consider the opposing point of view, or change the argument to fit what you are saying. You tend to change the argument, ergo, "I meant with financial aspect not being considered" Well to most posters on here, to eliminate the financial aspect is ludicrous and to change the argument is disingenuous. I don't know how to solve your problem. You can choose your words more carefully when authoring a position, such as, "Atkins and Eaton, were the least productive of the FA stop gaps that were indicative of the 14 years of losing seasons" Most people agree with you about Atkins and Eaton being crappy players that shouldn't have been brought in. Or you can accept that you will be challenged here constantly. One thing that doesn't help is playing the "woe is me" card and hyperbole on this board is a cardinal sin.

Where have I said the sky is falling? Where have I said any of the stuff you routinely accuse me of saying? That's the trick, many of you have convinced yourselves of my reputation without ever fact-checking anything I've said or actually READING anything I've actually said. That's the crazy part of all of this.

This is pretty easy to check. Here are your posts (or exerpts from your posts), in order, from prior to this thread:

No, our pitching performance is nonsense. We shouldn't be trotting Hammel out as our #1 ace, or the guy we build the rotation around. That's just the reality of the situation.
Today is the result of standing pat.

Doing nothing equals a sub-par rotation.

All the arguments in the world can't change that.

San Diego.

Christ.

:ohlord:

Here's hoping DD gets the picture now.

Fair enough, I have to look back to see who I recommended, I clearly recall Grienke, and I believe I mentioned making a play for a Tampa Bay starter. Akin to what KC did in the offseason.
The thing is that I explained much of this over the winter. I mentioned a few names a few times. I'm just tired of being put on trial because I want the team to win games.
You guys do this to ANYONE that says that the Orioles should have made some kind of improvement. You expect someone making a casual observation to become a Baseball Prospectus analyst and give you...
I would have been happy with at least one (TOR starter).

Two would have been ideal.

Again, have you seen today's box score thus far?

What a ridiculous question. I would have found a way to get someone who was available that we could afford without giving up the farm. At least ONE legit TOR starter would be making a difference...
In the real world, we're losing to SD of all people. Swept.
I don't get what you're having a problem with. Seriously.

I never said we needed to spend $150 million, I said we needed to sign or trade for TOR SPs.

At least more than what we did... which...

Maybe you should check out today's Game Thread.

Our pitching is lights out.

As in Padres batters knocking the lights out of the warehouse because of HRs.

Not my job. As a fan, I want to see the team win.

Instead of being snarky (I know it's tough for you) how about realizing the fact that I am right in this situation? We did need to do a little...

I watch every game, I'm fully aware of what the Orioles' record is right now. I'm saying that we needed a TOR since the end of last season and we shouldn't have waited until it became an absolute...
Still though, it is a little depressing that we still haven't shaken the reactionary attitude in the FO. For all the incredible work DD has done, we still haven't addressed all the...
It's funny... a lot of us were saying the exact same thing all offseason.

I said they needed a big bat, and at least two TOR SPs. It's a damn shame it took the entire rotation falling apart for...

Mid June. By then we will know everything we need to know about our players for 2013. I do believe he will come around eventually. And his lack of offense hasn't killed us yet.
Clearly, Nolan has value as a hitter. Giving up on him this early in the year would be a mistake. We need to see how he does in a season when he doesn't get injured.

Patience folks.

That is a literal cut-and-paste, in order, of your posts previous to this thread. I had to go about two pages down to find something that wasn't outright criticism of DD, the organization, the fanbase, or people here at the Hangout.

We're not making this stuff up.

People who were never capable of providing any reasonable analysis in the first place aren't in much of a position to remind anybody of the facts. Hypothetically speaking.

You spend an awful lot of time on telling me I'm wrong or attacking folks who say I might have a point.

Why?

MSK

That is a literal cut-and-paste, in order, of your posts previous to this thread. I had to go about two pages down to find something that wasn't outright criticism of DD, the organization, the fanbase, or people here at the Hangout.

We're not making this stuff up.

Of course not. I never said you had to - however, that is a very tiny sample size of my posts. I've had many conversations here that didn't turn into a troll-war until the flapjack crew jumped in to levy an insult.

For example: El Gordo making the clown comment.

And I stand by my idea that we should have signed a TOR during the off season. Again, nothing too controversial.

MSK

You spend an awful lot of time on telling me I'm wrong or attacking folks who say I might have a point.

Why?

MSK

I keep trying to tell you that you should focus less on the others that you think have a thing against you and more on what people you think are against you are saying about how you post. I'm not trying to tell you to change who you are, but a change in what you focus on and how you present yourself and the feelings of persecution will go away in a short amount of time. Please try and heed the advice of those of us trying to assist you.

Archived