Interesting quotes from a beleaguered Buck Showalter...

JTrea81

PLAYERS THINK THE GOAL BUCK AND DAN'S GOAL IS THE WORLD SERIES:

“I’m excited to hear about Buck and Dan’s contract extensions. Knowing Buck will be our manager for many years to come makes me even more glad that I signed my contract last year,” Jones said in a statement. “We made progress in 2012, but our goal is always the World Series and this announcement is only going to help us be better in the future.”

The club’s core — signed through at least 2014 — includes Jones, Markakis, shortstop J.J. Hardy, third baseman Manny Machado, closer Jim Johnson and catcher Matt Wieters.

“I think this is the best possible thing for the organization,” said Hardy, who signed a three-year extension in 2011. “Buck was big part of the reason I wanted to stay and Dan did a lot last year. And together I’m sure they’ll be able to do a lot more in the next five years.”

Wieters said he had anticipated the long-term deal for Showalter, but he was pleasantly surprised that ownership committed to both men.

“It’s something in pro sports you rarely see happen. And, speaking from a player’s point of view, it’s something you like to see,” Wieters said. “These two signings are setting the precedent that we’re not just looking to have a couple good years, but we want to be a great franchise.

“And that’s what ownership wants to do and what the players want to do. That every year we have our sights set on a World Series and that can be a feasible goal.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-buck-showalter-dan-duquette-contract-extensions-20130116,0,2885818.story

So the players believe, but that's a given. But where is the statement to the fans so the team can be held to that goal?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buck says he's profoundly disappointed to not be in the post season..."

"I probably won't reflect on it properly right now," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "You could ask me that tomorrow and I might have a better answer for it. It's a huge disappointment for us, to say the least."

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2013_09_24_tormlb_balmlb_1&mode=recap_home&c_id=bal

I think you need to respect Trea's opinion and allow him proper time to catch up and translate all these quotes for us.

Dan Duquette - Goal is "The World Series"

BOSTON -- The ultimate goal for Dan Duquette and the Baltimore Orioles is to win a World Series championship. For the Dalton native and the Orioles, the first step taken last year was just as important.

Duquette, now in his second year as Baltimore's executive vice president of baseball operations, said reconnecting with Orioles fans was the first step.

"The offseason was good because the fans were engaged with the team," Duquette said while sitting in the visiting dugout at Fenway Park on Monday. "They really connected with the working-class ethic of the club last year and really supported us in August and September.

"Everywhere we went a year ago, the fans wanted some hope. We gave them a good team and they really responded."

The Orioles of Duquette and manager Buck Showalter were 93-69 and ended a 14-year postseason drought. Baltimore beat Texas in a one-game playoff but lost to the Yankees in the American League Division Series.

Getting to the playoffs was a good first step for the Orioles. Duquette is looking to see if the team can take the next step and get farther in the postseason.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/ci_22991726/daltons-dan-duquette-hopes-baltimore-orioles-can-take

Ok so the writer says World Serirs, but where is the quote from Duquette? Why avoid putting that statement on record?

I think you need to respect Trea's opinion and allow him proper time to catch up and translate all these quotes for us.

What exactly are you adding to this discusion other than snark. I believe this is called trolling, correct? You are trying to incite and pile on.

0.jpg

This is what Buck said. I interpret it to mean that he and DD are trying to rebuild an infrastructure, made dysfunctional by 14 years of neglect. He wants to create a pipeline of young talent, while doing what he can, within finite resources, to augment the current core, and keep it "competitive". Hopefully in the future the pipe line of talent will raise the level from competitive to "contending". JMHO.

Honestly I think people just don't like me posting because they don't like the fact I hold the team to a higher standard and am pretty vocal about it.

What does that even mean? You're a fan of the Baltimore Orioles. You don't hold them to anything. They do as they wish, and we can like it or not like it. The only thing you're doing is getting angry. And there's no merit badge for being the angriest fan of the Baltimore Orioles.

People say I'm like talking to a brick wall, but hardly anybody wants to look at the topic from my point of view. Those that do, we can have a good discussion and have had good discussions.

Why would anyone want to look at things from your point of view since almost all of your opinions seem to be based on aligning yourself with indefensible concepts? I think your continued existence on this board is a testiment to your overwhelming desire to be seen as a martyr, to be perceived as someone who will stand up to everyone else no matter the validity of your position with regard to facts.

The common theme throughout all of your history here is that you will go to the mat, spare no argument, time after time, if the subject is something that almost no one else agrees with.

You wouldn't know what to do with yourself if someone took your point of view. The very concept is contrary to your ethos.

Ok so the writer says World Serirs, but where is the quote from Duquette? Why avoid putting that statement on record?

Buck Showalter said his goal was to WIN THE WORLD SERIES.

Showalter Says Goal Is The World Series

Don't count Buck Showalter among those that will view the 2012 season a success for the Orioles after a playoff appearance.

During an interview with Bob Haynie and Mark Zinno of 105.7 The Fan this afternoon, the Orioles manager said: "It's not just about the playoffs. You're trying to win a world championship. You're trying to be the last team standing. Crazier things have happened in people's minds, so why not?"

http://www.pressboxonline.com/blog.cfm?id=5135

What exactly are you adding to this discusion other than snark. I believe this is called trolling, correct? You are trying to incite and pile on.

But if it weren't for snark, no one would ever respond to any of your posts. Also, snark is how I feel I need to express myself, so how can that be wrong?

What exactly are you adding to this discussion other than snark. I believe this is called trolling, correct? You are trying to incite and pile on.

LOL. You're calling me a troll?

When you say something that isn't stupid I'll respond to it.

In the mean time you can answer a queestion i've asked you about ten times and you've refuse to answer. Who are good RISP hitters and how do you identify them?

You're a piece of work. This isn't your wife you're talking about. This isn't your mom. This is a guy who's running the Baltimore Orioles. He's not going to type up something on letterhead addressed to you to clarify your misconception that he's trying to win some games, but just not too many. For some reason.

What have I hijacked exactly? Heck I haven't posted in 80% of the threads here, just a few that I've chosen that are on a topic of interest of which I have stayed on topic. Honestly I think people just don't like me posting because they don't like the fact I hold the team to a higher standard and am pretty vocal about it. People say I'm like talking to a brick wall, but hardly anybody wants to look at the topic from my point of view. Those that do, we can have a good discussion and have had good discussions.

If your point of view is wrong and people continually illustrate that with facts, that you ignore, why would they continue to engage you and your point of view?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4.

Archived