Interesting quotes from a beleaguered Buck Showalter...

JTrea81

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You say it's the goal, but this team isn't willing to publicly go there. Why not?

Buck Showalter said his goal was to WIN THE WORLD SERIES.

Showalter Says Goal Is The World Series

Don't count Buck Showalter among those that will view the 2012 season a success for the Orioles after a playoff appearance.

During an interview with Bob Haynie and Mark Zinno of 105.7 The Fan this afternoon, the Orioles manager said: "It's not just about the playoffs. You're trying to win a world championship. You're trying to be the last team standing. Crazier things have happened in people's minds, so why not?"

http://www.pressboxonline.com/blog.cfm?id=5135

You say it's the goal, but this team isn't willing to publicly go there. Why not?

As I told you before, Angelos publicly "went there" years ago. "My goal is to get the team into a competitive posture this year, and by next year to get us back, not to just within a strike of the World Series, but to the World Series itself.

It didn't mean jack then nor would it mean jack now.

Why don't you give us evidence of all the proclamations from around baseball about how they are world series bound. Let me save you some time; you won't find them. I guess that means they don't care either, if I follow your "logic."

Hasn't it been made clear to you by now that your interpretation of Buck's remarks is off base.

If this was a fight it would have been stopped by now. Damn me for continuing to follow this. I'm out.

Let me rephrase this one - I don't believe any opinion is without merit, as there are real emotions behind it. The person may be misinformed, but if that is how they interpret the evidence presented to them, that is their opinion and they are entitled to it. I may not agree with it, but I can respect that they are entitled to it.

Holding the opinion that the moon is made of green cheese is totally without merit IMO. People are entitled to believe that, but I don't have to give it any merit.

Imagine if you will, its the mid 1980's, and me, a Raiders fan living in MD, going onto an Oakland Raiders fan board and telling them everything that is wrong with the Raiders and with Al Davis and telling them the ONLY way to change things is to do A, B, and C. Oh, and by the way, its the early 80's, so there is no Sunday Ticket, so I only get to watch about 3 Raiders games a year. Imagine how the fans of the Raiders on that board would take me?

Now, do you get the point?

Hell, I incited the wrath of old fan, when I said Flacco wasn't a tier 1 qb, but a good tier 2 qb, and they gave him too much money, which I thought cost them the ability to keep Bolden, which IMO is a big mistake.

Buck Showalter said his goal was to WIN THE WORLD SERIES.

Showalter Says Goal Is The World Series

Don't count Buck Showalter among those that will view the 2012 season a success for the Orioles after a playoff appearance.

During an interview with Bob Haynie and Mark Zinno of 105.7 The Fan this afternoon, the Orioles manager said: "It's not just about the playoffs. You're trying to win a world championship. You're trying to be the last team standing. Crazier things have happened in people's minds, so why not?"

http://www.pressboxonline.com/blog.cfm?id=5135

Whoa. Hold the phone. His quote says he wants to win a "world championship," not a world series. Why do you think he brought those Chinese kids into the clubhouse this summer? Isn't it obvious, Buck's goal is for the Orioles to send a team to the World Table Tennis Championship and bring home the world championship for Baltimore. Never did he say he wanted the Orioles to win a World Series!!!!

:D

PLAYERS THINK THE GOAL BUCK AND DAN'S GOAL IS THE WORLD SERIES:

“I’m excited to hear about Buck and Dan’s contract extensions. Knowing Buck will be our manager for many years to come makes me even more glad that I signed my contract last year,” Jones said in a statement. “We made progress in 2012, but our goal is always the World Series and this announcement is only going to help us be better in the future.”

The club’s core — signed through at least 2014 — includes Jones, Markakis, shortstop J.J. Hardy, third baseman Manny Machado, closer Jim Johnson and catcher Matt Wieters.

“I think this is the best possible thing for the organization,” said Hardy, who signed a three-year extension in 2011. “Buck was big part of the reason I wanted to stay and Dan did a lot last year. And together I’m sure they’ll be able to do a lot more in the next five years.”

Wieters said he had anticipated the long-term deal for Showalter, but he was pleasantly surprised that ownership committed to both men.

“It’s something in pro sports you rarely see happen. And, speaking from a player’s point of view, it’s something you like to see,” Wieters said. “These two signings are setting the precedent that we’re not just looking to have a couple good years, but we want to be a great franchise.

“And that’s what ownership wants to do and what the players want to do. That every year we have our sights set on a World Series and that can be a feasible goal.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-buck-showalter-dan-duquette-contract-extensions-20130116,0,2885818.story

Buck says he's profoundly disappointed to not be in the post season..."

"I probably won't reflect on it properly right now," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "You could ask me that tomorrow and I might have a better answer for it. It's a huge disappointment for us, to say the least."

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2013_09_24_tormlb_balmlb_1&mode=recap_home&c_id=bal

Buck says he's profoundly disappointed to not be in the post season..."

"I probably won't reflect on it properly right now," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "You could ask me that tomorrow and I might have a better answer for it. It's a huge disappointment for us, to say the least."

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2013_09_24_tormlb_balmlb_1&mode=recap_home&c_id=bal

DTrea: "Oh sure, he says that now, AFTER they've lost. Had he said that on September 1st, he could have motivated them to greatness. But since he didn't, how was the team supposed to know that the goal was the World Series? How, huh? How?"

Dan Duquette - Goal is "The World Series"

BOSTON -- The ultimate goal for Dan Duquette and the Baltimore Orioles is to win a World Series championship. For the Dalton native and the Orioles, the first step taken last year was just as important.

Duquette, now in his second year as Baltimore's executive vice president of baseball operations, said reconnecting with Orioles fans was the first step.

"The offseason was good because the fans were engaged with the team," Duquette said while sitting in the visiting dugout at Fenway Park on Monday. "They really connected with the working-class ethic of the club last year and really supported us in August and September.

"Everywhere we went a year ago, the fans wanted some hope. We gave them a good team and they really responded."

The Orioles of Duquette and manager Buck Showalter were 93-69 and ended a 14-year postseason drought. Baltimore beat Texas in a one-game playoff but lost to the Yankees in the American League Division Series.

Getting to the playoffs was a good first step for the Orioles. Duquette is looking to see if the team can take the next step and get farther in the postseason.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/ci_22991726/daltons-dan-duquette-hopes-baltimore-orioles-can-take

Let me rephrase this one - I don't believe any opinion is without merit, as there are real emotions behind it. The person may be misinformed, but if that is how they interpret the evidence presented to them, that is their opinion and they are entitled to it. I may not agree with it, but I can respect that they are entitled to it.

Opinions are not facts. Emotions are not facts. Facts have merit. Opinions and emotions have merit so long as they are supported by facts.

You can have any opinion you wish, but you will get little respect, nor should you expect or demand any respect, for opinions that are not based on facts. I don't care how strongly you feel something, it is meaningless to everyone else if it has no foundation in reality.

Archived