Per the Sun: "Orioles most inactive team..."

MemorialStadKid

Because why? Who has a better metric?

Well take a look at Chris Tillman and Jon Lester's 2013 season. Compare their stats. Games started, IP, ERA, W-L, WHIP, ERA+, K/9, BB/9, H/9, BABIP, LOB% whatever. These guys had near identical 2013 seasons.

Not according to Fangraphs... they have Lester being worth more than twice as much as Tillman.

Jon Lester: 4.3WAR

Chris Tillman: 2.0WAR

CC Sabathia led the league in ER allowed and only pitched 5 more innings than Tillman.

CC Sabathia: 2.7WAR

Chris Tillman: 2.0WAR

Heck, look at Arrieta's 2012 season. 114IP of 6.20 ERA ball for the Orioles. He imploded everytime the 4th-5th inning rolled around to the point that he got booted from an already terrible starting rotation. Fangraphs worth? 1.6WAR. That puts him on a pace to shatter Tillman's 2013 season.

Its not reality. Their WAR for pitcher's is them trying to predict the future rather than properly grading the present and its why their WAR evaluations deviate so much from other sites like Baseball Reference.

I don't know what the best metric is. Maybe taking Fangraph's WAR and averaging with Baseball Reference's WAR or something? I dunno. :laughlol:

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not panicking over the Orioles inactivity up to this point. IMO, the Orioles made a proactive move in not retaining MCLouth and Feldman. If I was the GM, I would have passed on both players at these price tags as well. I think that the Orioles will bring in a corner type OF/DH to compete with Urrutia and Perguero. As Weams has pointed out, the Orioles have a couple of in house candidates to take over the # 5 spot in the rotation. Personally, I'd love to see Gausman seize the opportunity in spring training. Further, there is still time for DD to add a veteran arm like Hammel into the mix as well.

I think the "reallocation" of the Johnson money is a work in progress as well. Right now he's added Webb to the bullpen with about 2 million or so of the dollars that Johnson would have received. If Balfour is signed for seven million or so, he will have added two pieces to the staff for JJ's 2014 salary. This is pretty similar to what Duquette did in the Guthrie trade when he acquired Hammel and Lindstrom for Jeremy Guthrie.

Further, if the hangup on the Balfour deal is the third year, I would let someone else take him on. He's 36 and the odds are that this will be his last "big" contract." There are still a couple of FA options available to the Orioles as well. They can sign one of these guys for 5 to 7 million, or close by committee as some on here suggest.

I'm less worried about the national and local pundits when it comes to evaluating the Orioles off season thus far. It may not be sexy, but they have added two pieces to the bullpen ( Brach & Webb), and a fourth outfielder/ potential platoon ( Perguero) basically for Devin Jones. In addition, they rid themselves of an expensive closer's contract, and were able to get a player with some potential upside, ( Weeks ) and some organizational depth at catcher. ( Freitas)

Finally, the orioles can't control what or how much money these other teams are going to spend. let the Twins and Royals overpay for guys like Pelfrey and Infante. We'll see how this plays out for these teams. There is still several moths to spring training, and the Orioles will sign/acquire a starting pitcher and another hitter to put into the DH/Of mix.

I only wrote that to show how insane it's been for the last 6 years. The constant justifications for mediocrity and non-improvement are astounding. Feel free to continue with the insults. I can handle it.

MSK

Please dude. Your whole MO is to argue against outlandish things that no one believes to be true...all in an effort to make your arguments seem reasonable.

Plus are you still working on that list?

Good luck Zepp but I think you're wasting your time. I'm at the point of waiting until February or March to start posting again. Maybe the crap won't be as deep.

I'm sorry that being told I need to take a remedial reading class slightly offended me. I'll try not to be so offended by the next cheappshot someone takes at me.

I'm sorry that being told I need to take a remedial reading class slightly offended me. I'll try not to be so offended by the next cheappshot someone takes at me.

I am shocked the mods do nothing on some of these...

Hang in there man, many of us appreciate your posts.

It's a little click that we're not in. I don't need a crowd with pitchforks to fight my battles.

The clique has to expand to be successful though....

I completely agree the insults that are tolerated by the board by some here are simply appalling.

Are you upset because you couldn't read and comprehend what I said or are you upset that I pointed it out?

I took issue with someone being critical of the Os offseason based on another team signing a player that said poster didn't even want. You read what I said and perverted it into some defense of Angelos.

Are you upset because you couldn't read and comprehend what I said or are you upset that I pointed it out?

I took issue with someone being critical of the Os offseason based on another team signing a player that said poster didn't even want. You read what I said and perverted it into some defense of Angelos.

Where did I even respond to you? Show me where I quoted a post of yours and turned it into an "Angelos Defense"? Other than that get off my case.

Where did I even respond to you? Show me where I quoted a post of yours and turned it into an "Angelos Defense"? Other than that get off my case.

You didn't directly quote me. You piggybacked off of someone else who was mischaracterizing my comments. I'm not on your case but if you're going to accuse someone of personal attacks then I'm gonna call you out on your straw man arguments.

Again, what insults?

I have my own beefs :) that wasn't directed at you per se...

However I do think many are very pretentious with their opinions to the point were they are being bullies. Many comments by some are allowed that are quite personal...seems wrong to me, just my two cents.

I think I am very moderate but one thing I don't like reading on here is all one side or the other...we need people being held accountable

If that is the case, just turn on Fox News they can tell you what to think:)....

PS: Led Zeppelin still rocks; have you seen much of Get the Led Out? Good stuff!

Archived