Per the Sun: "Orioles most inactive team..."

MemorialStadKid

Well there you go.

All the MASN money. All the luxury tax loot. All the increased revenues from merchandising leading us to being the #7 franchise in value but they won't spend.

They won't spend anything.

When even the friggin' Sun is calling them out, it's clear there's a problem. A serious problem.

SOURCE: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-as-winter-meetings-wrap-up-orioles-still-without-a-major-move-20131212,0,2969293.story

Discussions aside, the Orioles might have been the most inactive team at the meetings. As teams began to disperse following the Rule 5 draft, the Orioles acquired just two players.

And...

?The meetings have been helpful for us to staff our team,? Duquette said. ?We?re going to come out of them with the addition of a pitcher [Webb], and these two players we added [Thursday], and then we?re going to continue to work on some of the groundwork we laid out on trades."

Duquette spoke confidently about being able to make a trade for a left-handed hitter early in the week, but the Orioles were unable to find a fit.

They're squabbling with Balfour over a third year. Seriously?!?!

All the good players are going off the table and we're hiding our cards, afraid to walk away to make a deal of any kind.

This is crazy. I've never seen a team run this way in my life. I thought with the 2 good years behind us they would make a true commitment to a winning season, but it's still the same old nickle-and-dime Angelos Os.

Damn.

:slytf:

MSK

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't get why they're haggling with Balfour over this third year. Just give it to him and move on. It's painfully clear that if the O's don't then someone will. Does anyone here actually want to see Hunter in the ninth? Didn't think so.

Hunter is nails against righties, unfortunately that's like the worst possible time to use a reliever with bad splits.......late in the game in high leverage situations. You know the team will bring a LHB in off the bench.

Hope Manny, CD, Wieters, Hardy and our June draft pick are paying attention.

Don't sign with the O's... get out as soon as possible!!!!

life is too short to waste with a second rate organization.

Sorry Adam, Sorry Dylan.. I did warn you, should have taken that scholarship to Texas.

This is crazy. I've never seen a team run this way in my life. I thought with the 2 good years behind us they would make a true commitment to a winning season, but it's still the same old nickle-and-dime Angelos Os.

Two good years ..... same impatient fans.

Two good years ..... same impatient fans.

One playoff appearance with an unrepeatable bullpen performance during the regular season. One extended vacation the following year when the bullpen performance wasn't repeated.

And who's been added to that team that regressed last season?

The only reason I'm not steaming and stomping is because guys like Garza and Jimenez remain on the board. Of course, the Orioles would have to spend money to land those guys, so...

Hardly sounds like a "callout" by the Sun. The Schmuck piece was notable in that respect, but I don't see it here. Other than Balfour holding out for a third year, basically appears to be a pretty bland summary of stuff we already know.

Damn.

:slytf:

MSK

Aren't you an Orioles fan? What's new on how they are going about their business this off season? The only difference is we had hope that when we were close Angelos would spend the money to make us true contenders. We now know that is false. What we know now for 100% certainty that the Orioles are run like a business that is expected to turn a profit for Angelos and his investors. That extra $27 million and the $10 million from Roberts contract will look good when it comes out to giving out the dividends at the end of the year.

This is the way this team will be run as long as Angelos is the owner. We have to just deal with it on our own ways.

I wouldn't sign him at all. Whats the point of a 7 million dollar closer, when your destined for 4th or possibly 5th? The rotation needed improving, it didn't happen, game over. We are not a contender, might as well save that money too.

Dear PA:

Fire Dan Duquette.

I can read the paper, find out who got cut, contact their agents, and sign them, for a heck of a lot less money than your paying Dumpster Dan.

Archived