Do you make this trade?

Sports Guy

Do you trade Bedard for Jones, Tillman and Sherrill?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trade Bedard for Jones, Tillman and Sherrill?

Obviously a team like us can use as many quality prospects as posibble. It's all hearsay though, because no one truly knows what offers have and have not been exchanged.

While I agree AM should hold out for the best deal, I think he should be careful that he isn't left at the altar.

I agree with you here. AM seems to "hold his cards pretty tight."

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Forgive me if this sounds rude, but it has been interesting watching everybody go from thinking the deal was going to be Jones, Clement, Tillman, Truinfel and maybe even Chen if you tossed in another piece of your own... all the way down to the point where Jones, Tillman, and Sherrill might be an acceptible deal.

Rob I believe (IMO) the 3 player AM wanted were Jones , Morrow, & Clement.

I dont believe for a second he would have swapped Morrow for Sherill. This the 4 player theory.

Jones , Clement, Triunfel, & Tillman but obviously that wouldn't do it for the M's ... So maybe they are negotiating for something lesser?

Jones, Clement, Tillman, Butler, & Chen or something like that.

My guess is the trade off for droppin Morrow & or Clement is adding a additional player. Just my opinion though!

Jones, Clement, Tillman, and Butler or Chen sounds good to me.

I guess I agree on 4 but perhaps we could flip a smaller piece for Chen. The M's appear set in the middle & Chen looks better to me than the utility infielders that

have been talked about in the Cubs deal (Cedeno, E Patt)

Forgive me if this sounds rude, but it has been interesting watching everybody go from thinking the deal was going to be Jones, Clement, Tillman, Truinfel and maybe even Chen if you tossed in another piece of your own... all the way down to the point where Jones, Tillman, and Sherrill might be an acceptible deal.

It's not rude at all. Bavasi has worn down a good number of people here at the OH and they've reduced their asking price - that's for sure.

We see Haren fetch a number of players. AM dealt Miggy for a good number as he dealt Viola. It's difficult to believe this is a three player deal with one of those three being a quality reliever without ML closing experience.

It sounds like Bavasi has made offers for EB a few times that he thought were reasonable and they were shot down. We heard we were a Tillman away from getting it done and now he might be in the offer. Confusing.

We've also heard Bavasi say he won't deal too many premium prospects. How many does he think he has. Jones is a stud, but we are hearing that we may get only one of Clement, Triunfel, Tillman, Wlad and Morrow. If that's the case, I'd find it a little disappointing.

Confusing and disappointing. Let's see what happens. My only guess at this point is the final deal is at least four guys. Again, I applaud AM for his patience.

Hopefully we can get a 4 player deal and maybe even a five player deal if we can part with one of our young pitchers. I wouldn't mind giving up a Patton or Olson if it allowed us to land Triunfel or a Butler and Tui/Chen.

Bedard's value definitely should get us Jones, Tillman, and Sherill, so if we add an Olson or a Patton, could we get Triunfel as well? Really, that shouldn't be asking too much because if Seattle plans on contending, they need EB as a front man, and Jones, Triunfel, Tillman, and Sherrill shouldn't totally be out of the question.

I still say they need to give us 2 from their big group after Jones, one is not going to be enough. I would be quite satisfied with

Jones

Clement OR Balentien (prefer Wlad)

Tillman OR Truinfel

Chen.

I don't want Sherrill, he takes away from the potential young position talent we could acquire. Anything less that 2 of the 4 after Jones (Clement, Tillman, Truinfel, Wlad) just is not enough.

I would definately not call Bavasi desparate if his offer is Jones, Tillman, and Sherrill. That offer is almost laughable. Its trading one of the best young (well sort of young) pitchers in baseball for a stud, a decent pitching prospect, and a reliever. Rejected.

Hopefully we can get a 4 player deal and maybe even a five player deal if we can part with one of our young pitchers. I wouldn't mind giving up a Patton or Olson if it allowed us to land Triunfel or a Butler and Tui/Chen.

Bedard's value definitely should get us Jones, Tillman, and Sherill, so if we add an Olson or a Patton, could we get Triunfel as well? Really, that shouldn't be asking too much because if Seattle plans on contending, they need EB as a front man, and Jones, Triunfel, Tillman, and Sherrill shouldn't totally be out of the question.

Maybe if we added Guthrie or Loewen we could get Triunfel. Seriously, we should not expect Triunfel and Tillman as well as Jones in a Bedard deal. To get all three would be a miracle...

That's like asking for Spoone, Rowell and Markakis for Bedard and Rowell isn't as good as Triunfel, so that's pushing it...

I think a solid middle ground in a deal that includes Jones, Tillman, and Sherril is to replace the fourth piece that McPhail wants (Morrow/Clement/Truinfel) with two or three prospects (if we throw a little back).

I would prefer the Mariners keep Sherril if the Orioles don't intend to spin him off at some point.

I think a solid middle ground in a deal that includes Jones, Tillman, and Sherril is to replace the fourth piece that McPhail wants (Morrow/Clement/Truinfel) with two or three prospects (if we throw a little back).

I would prefer the Mariners keep Sherril if the Orioles don't intend to spin him off at some point.

I think that's a good point.

We may get Jones, ___, Sherril and Chen but the ____ is unlikely to be Clement - if for no other reason, that provides an easy out for McPhail in the negotiations. I would say the ___ could = Tillman, although he's a top prospect for Seattle as well.

The question I see if if you sub out Clement - who fills in that blank? Chen and ____?

]Your the one making a major point that you believe AM could have have gotten the three players at issue a month ago because they were on the table. If AM wanted a fourth player, as is apparent, don't you think he would have asked for it a month ago?
I am sure he did ask for the 4th player. The M's just weren't giving up the quality. We heard Rosenthal, a few weeks ago, say the trade is one player away. I can guarantee you that player isn't Chen or Tui. That player was major. So, if we end up either not getting the 4th player or tyhe 4th player is someone we likely could have had last month, than waiting backfired on AM.
Again, choose to ignore logic if you want
I am still waiting for some...All i am seeing is more reason to defend MacPhail.

The big picture here is what I am talking about.

AM holding out means we walk away with 5 solid guys, including 2 blue chippers or he walks away with 3 blue chippers and Sherrill. That would be worth the wait.

But walking away with a deal you could have a month ago means AM's standoff was foolish.

Now, if he ends up trading BRob, Mora, Payton and Millar and adds another position player or 2(starter), then it won't matter but if he ends up not getting things done because he let the Bedard stuff drag out, then he clearly screwed up.

Well, that was more wishful thinking...The deal I had been saying for a while was Jones, Clement, Tillman and Sherrill. This deal doesn't have Clement obviously.

If you would have told me on December 1 that this is the best we could get for Bedard, i wouldn't have believed you.(actually, i think the Dodgers could have beaten this but AM dropped ther ball on that one)

However, what it really comes down to is are you willing to risk Bedard getting hurt or whatever when you can walk away with a top young CFer, a very good pitching prospect and a guy who is likely going to be your closer who you can flip later.

That really is what it boils down to me. If the deal was Wlad, Clement, Tillman and Sherrill, i may not do that. But i think Jones is that good to the point where it would be tough for me to say no to the deal.

Personally, i think we will get at least another player or 2 in the deal, if the deal happens.

Archived