2014 Chris Tillman Today

Il BuonO

o

In Chris Tillman's last 3 outings, he has given up 13 earned in 15.33 innings pitched, for an E.R.A. of 7.63.

In those 3 outings, Tillman gave out 10 free passes (9 walks and 1 hit batsman) in those 15.33 innings, for an average of 1 free pass every 1.53 innings pitched.

TAMPA BAY DEVIL RAYS O (MAY 6th)

Ben Zobrist - 2B

Desmond Jennings - CF

Matt Joyce - LF

Evan Longoria - 3B

James Loney - 1B

Wil Myers - RF

David DeJesus - DH

Yunel Escobar - SS

Ryan Hanigan - C

Chris Archer - RHP (2-1, 4.84 E.R.A.)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CHRIS TILLMAN O (vs. D-RAYS, 5/06)

IP:. 6 - PLUS

H:o 5 (1 Home Run, 4 Singles)

R:O 3

BB: 2

SO: 2

Pitches: 99 (64 Strikes, 35 Balls)

2014 ERA: 3.80

PITCHES BY INNINGS

17 (14 Strikes, 3 Balls)

91 (61 Strikes, 3 Balls)

11 (81 Strikes, 3 Balls)

20 (11 Strikes, 9 Balls)

17 (10 Strikes, 7 Balls)

10 (71 Strikes, 3 Balls)

15 (81 Strikes, 7 Balls) *

* Tillman did not record any outs before departing in the 7th inning.

CHRIS TILLMAN O (vs. D-RAYS, 5/06)

IP:. 6 - PLUS

H:o 5 (1 Home Run, 4 Singles)

R:O 3

BB: 2

SO: 2

Pitches: 99 (64 Strikes, 35 Balls)

2014 ERA: 3.80

PITCHES BY INNINGS

17 (14 Strikes, 3 Balls)

91 (61 Strikes, 3 Balls)

11 (81 Strikes, 3 Balls)

20 (11 Strikes, 9 Balls)

17 (10 Strikes, 7 Balls)

10 (71 Strikes, 3 Balls)

15 (81 Strikes, 7 Balls) *

* Tillman did not record any outs before departing in the 7th inning.

Fairly unimpressive performance by Tillman I thought. All his pitches look marginal and/or inconsistent at this point. I don't like the way he is throwing across his body at times with his cutter and he seems to have gotten away from his FB more. Best thing you can say was he took advantage of a low/wide strike zone and kept the ball down pretty well while not walking many guys. I'm a little worried. Hope he gets better.

Fairly unimpressive performance by Tillman I thought. All his pitches look marginal and/or inconsistent at this point. I don't like the way he is throwing across his body at times with his cutter and he seems to have gotten away from his FB more. Best thing you can say was he took advantage of a low/wide strike zone and kept the ball down pretty well while not walking many guys. I'm a little worried. Hope he gets better.

Yeah, I love Tillman's makeup and that's why his ERA is still under 4 and he sports a 3-1 record... but he is NOT on his game. The good news is, if he does find his A game again this year he'll be really tough to beat.

True...but keep in mind, the runner got on base for Longoria's HR on a weak ball that took a freak hop on Manny, Manny made another E that forced Tillman to pitch to an extra batter, and the inherited run scored off of O'Day only because of a freakish HBP that got Hannigan only because he dived in and started to swing. All of which is to say that Tillman pitched well enough to put up something like 7 IP, 1 ER, 3H.

True...but keep in mind, the runner got on base for Longoria's HR on a weak ball that took a freak hop on Manny, Manny made another E that forced Tillman to pitch to an extra batter, and the inherited run scored off of O'Day only because of a freakish HBP that got Hannigan only because he dived in and started to swing. All of which is to say that Tillman pitched well enough to put up something like 7 IP, 1 ER, 3H.

This. However, a little of what CAORIOLE does hold true. Chris is throwing across his body at times.

I do like the action he's getting with his CH but the CB is inconsistent. The other thing is the velocity. I'm somewhere in the middle of the whole debate with regards to how hard he throws. Let's just say I'm more comfortable with him consistently in the 91-93 range.

That being said, his downward angle gives him an advantage even at 89-90 IF he can stay out of the middle if the plate. He is most effective at the very top or the very bottom. Nobody can live in the middle and get away with it to ML hitters. This probably comes as news to no one. And he made only the one bad mistake like that to Longoria.

When he has all three of his pitches with command plus can mix in the cutter/slider he's tough to beat.

Five-pitch walk, five-pitch walk, three-run home run. Just a terrific start.

Tillman really has not been the same since that 122-pitch, five-inning outing against Boston on April 18. Here's hoping this is one of his signature stink-it-up-in-the-first-before-settling-in-and-making-it-through-seven outings.

To be fair, several posters (myself included) have never considered Tillman to be an ace.

Do you consider him to be our best pitcher? Because he's supposed to be, but the last four starts he hasn't looked the part.

Archived