Zach Britton is Too Filthy for the Pen

aaron_cls

I'm sorry, but if this continues, we really need to consider whether he should be back in the rotation. This is the guy we were all drooling over 3 years ago, velocity + sink + control. Don't we owe it to this team to not waste this on the bullpen forever if there is a chance he could do it for 200+ innings a year instead of just 70? Certainly I think he has to be a candidate for some saves if we aren't going to stretch him out. Just my opinion -- what do you all think??

That said, way to go Zach! Glad to have you back (and glad the O's never gave you up).

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost 50 pitches thrown today. I think Buck may be quietly stretching him out so that he is an option. With Patton coming back soon and some struggles in the rotation you gotta think a move to the rotation for Britton is looking more and more like a possibility.

I'm really happy that his sinker is back to where it is. But before I would consider him for starting, I would need to see some success with his change up.

I don't have enough confidence in his slider to think that he'll consistently have success against righties.

He might be one of those guys like Tommy Hunter that is just better in the pen. Hard to say.

But if he keeps this up, he'll probably either get some starts this year or get moved to the closer role if Hunter struggles. No matter what is role, he is very valuable to us right now.

They certainly stretched him out. And Patton is returning in a few weeks...

I'd be reluctant to break what is working, especially given his past shoulder problems. Maybe the bullpen suits him. I might rather see him close than start.

Having him go 3 innings today is interesting. 42 pitches. Curious if they're intentionally stretching him out?

I hope they aren't. Just because someone pitches well out of the pen does not mean they should be re-turned into a starter. After years of struggle, Britton seems to have found a role in which he excels. Absolutely no reason to considering moving, IMO. And I'll continue to say that even if his ERA holds at 0.00 for the foreseeable future.

I'm sorry, but if this continues, we really need to consider whether he should be back in the rotation. This is the guy we were all drooling over 3 years ago, velocity + sink + control. Don't we owe it to this team to not waste this on the bullpen forever if there is a chance he could do it for 200+ innings a year instead of just 70? Certainly I think he has to be a candidate for some saves if we aren't going to stretch him out. Just my opinion -- what do you all think??

That said, way to go Zach! Glad to have you back (and glad the O's never gave you up).

Here's a novel idea. How about we wait another month or two. Then see how he and others are pitching before you make a determination on where he should be pitching. I realize this requires some patience, which seems to be lacking around here.

As soon as Buck puts someone in a role where they succeed, then a number of posters immediately call for the person's role to be expanded. This is an endless process on the board (and basically by all fans). Almost all pitchers are better out of the bullpen than when they start. Britton's excellent start to the season out of the bullpen does not guarantee success as a starting pitcher.

Here's a novel idea. How about we wait another month or two. Then see how he and others are pitching before you make a determination on where he should be pitching. I realize this requires some patience, which seems to be lacking around here.

And in the meantime, recognize and appreciate that having Britton in the bullpen as someone who can pitch 2-3 innings in tight games means that you're making the bullpen significantly deeper and better-rested.

Archived