Kevin Gausman Today, 2014.

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said before the season started he may very well be our most talented starter by the end of the year and while it's only one start it came against a very good team. If nothing else it's one to build on.

The 6th inning for me was the one that stands out. He has talked before about the 2 innings of work vs the Red Sox last year as building his confidence, but the 6th today had to give him a lift.

After throwing a WP to make it 2nd and 3rd he could have easily caved. All the people throwing around hyperbole like how he's been screwed up by the Orioles development would have been out en masse. The doom and gloom crowd would have been talking about how we will never, ever, ever have our own TOR pitcher EVER again. Instead he focused like a laser on the next two hitters retiring them both with SO.

I don't know if it was awesome for me. I felt the FB had good movement and life and he was solid with the CH as well. However, on nights when he has sporadic command of either or both and not his best offerings he'll want another pitch. I didn't see the slider except sparingly. He did start off Donaldson with one as a get me over pitch. Even if he does that to, say, one out of every four batters just to keep them off balance he'll be tough.

Overall very pleased, and looking forward to the next one.

You don't have to canonize the guy to see what terrific makeup and talent he has. Striking out two guys with runners at second and third in the sixth inning confirmed it for me. This is an outstanding talent. Is he ready? He sure looked like it to me.He may yet struggle and have some bad outings, but I will say this.

I HAVE SEEN THE FUTURE AND HIS NAME IS KEVIN GAUSMAN.

Yes, but what is that future? I think we can all agree he'll be part of it, but will he be the ace we desperately need, or just a guy who flashes brilliance at times? That cannot be determined in one start, and maybe not even in one season.

You don't have to canonize the guy to see what terrific makeup and talent he has. Striking out two guys with runners at second and third in the sixth inning confirmed it for me. This is an outstanding talent. Is he ready? He sure looked like it to me.He may yet struggle and have some bad outings, but I will say this.

I was thinks he same thing. He just needs consistency at this point. Especially being able to locate both change ups. They are nasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't watch the game but saw the highlights. He certainly established a high ceiling. 7 strong innings against the top team in MLB and tough matchup against a legit #1 starter. We've known he has the stuff, but we haven't seen this kind of command yet from him. Whether he achieves his potential or not will depend on health and luck, but he certainly has ace potential that he flashed today. I really have not been this excited about an Oriole system pitcher since Mussina. Too early to tell, but I got a good feeling about him. I wonder if Norfolk has seen the last of Kevin Gausman!

Yes, but what is that future? I think we can all agree he'll be part of it, but will he be the ace we desperately need, or just a guy who flashes brilliance at times? That cannot be determined in one start, and maybe not even in one season.

If he fails tonight you can say,"I told you so," and then I'll probably hear him on the radio not long after with John Bench shilling for Blue Emu. :)

Or as Gary Thorne calls him, "Kevin Goozmahn". :clap3:

Nope. Not now, not before.

If he's here to stay and ready, it's unnecessary. He wouldn't be the first O's prospect to string together a couple (or more) good starts before imploding, though.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me...I dunno, 12 times...?

Time will tell, and here's hoping.

Archived