Bundy pitching for Frederick Keys tonight.

Greg

Bundy goes 4.2 innings, and allows three runs on four hits, he walked two and struck out 3. 3-1 Hillcats start of 6.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
-Serious interlude-

I think Hader's value has increased quite a bit from when he was traded.

While he is still far away he has been impressive. He would be in my top 5 in the O's system right now.

Hyperbole alert. One of the Houston Chronicle's Astros beat writers was interviewed on MLB Network Radio a couple weeks ago. He raved about Hader and said he's heard comparisons to Chris Sale and Randy Johnson.

Don't shoot the messenger, just passing along what a mild-mannered Astros beat writer had to say. Still a looonnnng way to go.

Hyperbole alert. One of the Houston Chronicle's Astros beat writers was interviewed on MLB Network Radio a couple weeks ago. He raved about Hader and said he's heard comparisons to Chris Sale and Randy Johnson.

Don't shoot the messenger, just passing along what a mild-mannered Astros beat writer had to say. Still a looonnnng way to go.

Hyperbole...Hader has a chance to be good, but All-Stars and Cy Youngs?

This is awfully presumptive, no? Least you could do is share with the group where you found the time machine to be able to see into the future. :o

I was joking. I think Hader and Bundy are both legitimate prospects. I am glad we still have Bundy.

Those were the names that I immediately thought of when I saw him as well. He's a tall, long-armed lefty who throws from a low arm slot. Sale/Johnson comparisons are inevitable, just from watching him pitch. Maybe he won't be Sale/Johnson good, but he does a lot of the same things well as those guys. What he's doing in the California League shouldn't be taken lightly.

Right now, I'm wondering what info Duquette had on Hader, because he's certainly not looking like the type of guy you trade for Bud Norris, even if they start by asking for Dylan Bundy.

Those were the names that I immediately thought of when I saw him as well. He's a tall, long-armed lefty who throws from a low arm slot. Sale/Johnson comparisons are inevitable, just from watching him pitch. Maybe he won't be Sale/Johnson good, but he does a lot of the same things well as those guys. What he's doing in the California League shouldn't be taken lightly.

Right now, I'm wondering what info Duquette had on Hader, because he's certainly not looking like the type of guy you trade for Bud Norris, even if they start by asking for Dylan Bundy.

Hader was a 19th round pick the year before.

Fortunately Norris is probably our best starter in a pennant race year. Fine with the trade.

Yeah and we have him under control next year, too. I didn't have a problem with this trade at the time and still don't. Even if Hader comes out strong - and he's a long way off - this was still the right move for the Orioles.

I am completely lost as to what your point is.

I would assume that his point is that talent evaluators weren't that high on him to begin with and he wasn't very far from that analysis/didn't have a track record to completely shed any concerns about his long-term potential or upside.

Yeah and we have him under control next year, too. I didn't have a problem with this trade at the time and still don't. Even if Hader comes out strong - and he's a long way off - this was still the right move for the Orioles.

I wouldn't say he's that far off the way he is dominating in high A in the Cal league...something that is not easy to do in that hitter friendly league.

Would not be surprised to see him in AA at some point soon which puts him on the doorstep to Minute Maid Park.

And to the other poster that mentioned being drafted in the 19th round, well we all know draft position becomes irrelevant as players develop and continue to prove themselves at higher levels against tougher competition. Especially true for Hader since he is much younger than the Cal league average age. So I guess I'm not really sure what the point of that post was either with all due respect.

I would assume that his point is that talent evaluators weren't that high on him to begin with and he wasn't very far from that analysis/didn't have a track record to completely shed any concerns about his long-term potential or upside.

Any talent evaluator who saw Hader throw from the day he arrived in the GCL to the day he was traded to Houston would have been in complete disbelief that he lasted to the 19th round.

I guess one of the other reasons I wouldn't have traded Hader, apart from him being a local guy and a good arm, is that he's the type of guy a scout, scouting director, even a GM can hang their hat on, so to speak. Hunter Harvey tears it up, great, he was a first-round pick, that's supposed to happen. But if you get Josh Hader, in the 19th round, for under 100K, and he turns into a productive major leaguer (and he's definitely got that upside), you can always point to that and say "look, nobody else was on this guy and I took him and look how he turned out." Remember how the Hobgood pick shaped Joe Jordan's reputation? Hader could have done that for Rajsich and Duquette. I guess he still can, but now Houston will reap the rewards.

Also I finally went and looked at who the Astros took with that competitive balance pick. Of course it was Derek Fisher. Of course. As if I couldn't hate giving up that much for Norris any more.

It seems to me that it is lost on some posters that Hader was a great pick. It is also true that the trade was at least a very good trade for the Orioles. We got great value for a 19th round pick and traded a lot of maybe for a much more proven Now asset in Norris. Some good prospects have to be traded to fill needs, especially when your a winning team. I mean the A's just traded Addison Russell a guy who is likely to be a star. But the A's got what they needed and the Russell pick is a settled transaction now, i.e. the Russell pick was successful. Over the long view the A's might lose this trade but they are close enough to make the deal and try to win it all this year. If Bud Norris helps the O's win the AL East this year or next year then That is one hell of a good value for a 19th round pick even with the supplemental pick going also. There comes a time where you are going to have to pay some of the future for today. Thankfully it appears that the O's have positioned themselves to get some talent back with there own FAs over the next couple of years. Anyone that can't see that the current FO is so much better at working to get quality assets than the pre-AM regimes just does not want to see it.

Archived