Bottom line we need a real closer.

Greg

Flash: Sometimes good teams lose to other good teams in dramatic fashion.

Sources state that good teams "lose games," from time to time. One should not put any more weight on it than necessary

This is how Oakland has gotten this far. They are a very good team. If you ascribe meaning to their run differential, a very VERY good team.

The Orioles are a good team, but the A's are the best team in baseball right now for a reason. We saw it last night. The heart of the order came through, got a little good fortune, but got the job done. Hats off to them, good game, win today.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's no different than any of the literally dozens of whiny, tantrum-induced threads that have been started this season after a loss.

Some don't even need a loss. This blow up is almost as bad as when he blew the save to the Yankmees. Some people here are predictable and it's not really a good thing.

Some don't even need a loss. This blow up is almost as bad as when he blew the save to the Yankmees. Some people here are predictable and it's not really a good thing.

True. You'd think they'd be exhausted after nine solid innings of major league moaning in the game thread.

Birdland, you could be such an epic member of this forum. You are the first to break news, and I know that you're extremely passionate about this team. However, threads like this cancel out the good. You're better than this. It hurts, I know, I couldn't fall asleep for two hours. Just move on....Buck isn't going to allow them to dwell on this.

I know. He could be very good. Thanks for acknowledging that. He is better than this.

I know. He could be very good. Thanks for acknowledging that. He is better than this.

Personally, I think a little more emotion and a little less Fwar is good for the board. Of course, I recognize I just may be in the minority on this:)

Good Lord...

I'm not sure what is more disappointing: Calling for a new closer this morning; or the fact that this thread, and much of the other sentiments shared within the past 10 hours, are so predictable following a loss.

Fluky 9th, you guys. Won't happen again for a while like that.

Os played with class despite being booed and beaned, repeatedly.

I was hoping to wakeup and see more support here following an atypical outcome from our guys. Unfortunately a lot of the sentiment has been predictably reactionary.

Maybe i went overboard with this thread. It just drives me crazy when this team gets to 0-2 counts and they never throw a ball in the dirt. Take Cespedes last night 0-2 count.

Yoenis Cespedes in 2014 when the count is 0-2 39 at bats 4 hits 0 BB 22 SO what does that tell you ? He's gonna chase.

Yoenis Cespedes in 2014 when the count is 1-2 63 at bats 8 hits 0 BB 23 SO

Bottom line if Britton throws a couple in the dirt the stats show he's got a good chance of getting a K and this game ends in another way.

Maybe i went overboard with this thread. It just drives me crazy when this team gets to 0-2 counts and they never throw a ball in the dirt. Take Cespedes last night 0-2 count.

Yoenis Cespedes in 2014 when the count is 0-2 39 at bats 4 hits 0 BB 22 SO what does that tell you ? He's gonna chase.

Yoenis Cespedes in 2014 when the count is 1-2 63 at bats 8 hits 0 BB 23 SO

Bottom line if Britton throws a couple in the dirt the stats show he's got a good chance of getting a K and this game ends in another way.

You and I need to learn that we know less about how baseball is actually played at this level than the professionals that do it. It is a game of failures. And you and I really hate when we fail.

I attended two Indians-Senators games in the same season when Alvin Dark pulled this stunt with Sam McDowell to avoid having him face Frank Howard. Worked the first time, failed miserably the second time.

I was sitting behind home plate in the upper deck behind home plate at Memorial Stadium for one night game years ago. Sam McDowell was pitching at his prime. In the first inning, he got tossed for arguing pitches. He took the ball and threw it from where he was standing at home plate straight over my head in the upper deck and almost out of Memorial Stadium. He got a standing ovation from the 4,000 or so there that night. It was the most amazing throw I have ever seen!

I just don't get why people are giving Britton a pass on that 0-2 pitch to Cespedes. Cespedes has 73 SO this year throw 2 in the dirt and this game ends in a different way.

Because he hit a weak ground ball? Because he had just saved 6 in a row and 15/18 for the seaso is just fine? For crying out loud, a lot of folks were just talking about whether he should be an All Star.

My own speculation is that Zack is overthrowing and losing his sink in some situations, especially when guys get on base. All three of his BS have come with a leadoff baserunner. All three have come against marquee teams that we want to beat--MIL, NYY, and OAK. I just think he needs to trust his stuff and let the ball move.

It would also help if he had more than one pitch. He just does not have the pinpoint control of Mo Rivera, so he needs something else to keep guys off balance.

Some things to work on, but let the experiment continue (for now).

Flash: Sometimes good teams lose to other good teams in dramatic fashion.

Sources state that good teams "lose games," from time to time. One should not put any more weight on it than necessary

This is how Oakland has gotten this far. They are a very good team. If you ascribe meaning to their run differential, a very VERY good team.

The Orioles are a good team, but the A's are the best team in baseball right now for a reason. We saw it last night. The heart of the order came through, got a little good fortune, but got the job done. Hats off to them, good game, win today.

Great post. This is the problem with folks that live and die with every pitch and every win or loss. To them if the O's lose, in whatever fashion, it's because they suck and did something horribly stupid or wrong. It's never because the other team is really good at baseball.

Before the season, many wanted to dump Britton. Then he is lights out and he goes from a bubble player to a stud closer over night. Or, does he? The question is certainly debatable and valid arguments can be made on both sides. Many are in love with Koji. Personally, I am skeptical of a 39 yr old with a dead arm and I am skeptical that we could get him without our "friends" in Boston trying to fleece us. But, it would not upset me to see the O's add a proven closer. It all depends on cost. We have to think long term. Britton may continue to have nights like last night but he may be good enough to win the division with. So, while the post is certainly an emotional one, so what? Instead of hammering the guy for venting, debate the point.

Good Lord...

I'm not sure what is more disappointing: Calling for a new closer this morning; or the fact that this thread, and much of the other sentiments shared within the past 10 hours, are so predictable following a loss.

Fluky 9th, you guys. Won't happen again for a while like that.

Os played with class despite being booed and beaned, repeatedly.

I was hoping to wakeup and see more support here following an atypical outcome from our guys. Unfortunately a lot of the sentiment has been predictably reactionary.

You know what would be awesome, is if after a loss like this, Tony shuts down the board for an hour or two so that people can cool off, collect their thoughts, and not post the first irrational thing that pops into their head.;)

Archived