Mandatory metal detectors at Camden Yards

crowmst3k!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've concealed carried at every sporting event I've ever been to.
Yes but aren't you a member of the law enforcement community. Just curious, do you think most of these folks would be in favor of open carry every where? Seems to me it would make their jobs a lot tougher.

If you don't mind me asking, why?

One thing I know professionally is that Police are not bodyguards. The average brutal crime takes about 90 seconds and the average response time to a 911 call if you believe the DoJ is 5 minutes. I'm not going to get caught with my pants down in a movie theater, mall, sporting event, fair, and on and on.

I just don't understand the point.

If someone wants to kill a bunch of people at a game, why wouldn't they shoot them all while they are in line before they even enter the stadium. They'd be sitting ducks trying to get through the turnstiles.

Inconveniencing everyone and further conditioning people to be ok witn giving up civil liberties is not enough to justify what they are doing here.

Again, it only makes you safer inside the stadium which really isn't any safer at all quite frankly.

Well...I guess we need to search people before the enter the highway.

Yes but aren't you a member of the law enforcement community. Just curious, do you think most of these folks would be in favor of open carry every where? Seems to me it would make their jobs a lot tougher.

Most cops I know would love more law abiding Americans to be armed with proper training in safety and defense. There is no open carry in NY, but I know in states that have it, its certainly not frowned upon from LEO's I've talked to from those states.

One thing I know professionally is that Police are not bodyguards. The average brutal crime takes about 90 seconds and the average response time to a 911 call if you believe the DoJ is 5 minutes. I'm not going to get caught with my pants down in a movie theater, mall, sporting event, fair, and on and on.

Are you a cop? If so, that's ok. My brother-in-law is a cop and carries a lot of places. I think we have to assume that cops have a much higher-than-average level of responsibility and familiarity with firearms and the consequences of their use.

But I can hardly think of a place less suited for lots of guns than a stadium full of drunk people on opposing sides of a very emotional event.

I just don't understand the point.

If someone wants to kill a bunch of people at a game, why wouldn't they shoot them all while they are in line before they even enter the stadium. They'd be sitting ducks trying to get through the turnstiles.

Inconveniencing everyone and further conditioning people to be ok witn giving up civil liberties is not enough to justify what they are doing here.

Again, it only makes you safer inside the stadium which really isn't any safer at all quite frankly.

Oh the irony, The backup created by the metal detectors made it easier for the shooter outside of the stadium.

Are you a cop? If so, that's ok. My brother-in-law is a cop and carries a lot of places. I think we have to assume that cops have a much higher-than-average level of responsibility and familiarity with firearms and the consequences of their use.

But I can hardly think of a place less suited for lots of guns than a stadium full of drunk people on opposing sides of a very emotional event.

Yes. People who are drinking (especially cops) should never consume alcohol if they are carrying a gun. I won't drink at bars for this purpose. I'll drink soda if I'm going out with friends.

One of the rules for concealed carry and officer off-duty carry is to restrain from alcohol when carrying.

Pulling one's weapon is only a last resort and not something taken lightly.

One of the rules for concealed carry and officer off-duty carry is to restrain from alcohol when carrying.

Pulling one's weapon is only a last resort and not something taken lightly.

I've never had an interaction with someone who had a gun license who didn't have full respect for the responsibility of carrying a weapon. It's hard as hell in NY state for someone to get a license, it takes months, tons of paperwork and jumping through hoops, training courses etc. People that have licenses here respect them I've found.

Yes. People who are drinking (especially cops) should never consume alcohol if they are carrying a gun. I won't drink at bars for this purpose. I'll drink soda if I'm going out with friends.

Thanks. What concerns me is that there are plenty of irresponsible people who would be more than happy to carry a legal handgun, and aren't quite irresponsible enough to be denied a permit.

I've never had an interaction with someone who had a gun license who didn't have full respect for the responsibility of carrying a weapon. It's hard as hell in NY state for someone to get a license, it takes months, tons of paperwork and jumping through hoops, training courses etc. People that have licenses here respect them I've found.

I think there are wildly varying levels of hoops for different localities.

Thanks. What concerns me is that there are plenty of irresponsible people who would be more than happy to carry a legal handgun, and aren't quite irresponsible enough to be denied a permit.

I don't know about other states, but if you've shown any tendencies that are irresponsible its very difficult to get a pistol license. Finger prints, background checks, references, they dig really deep. Get drunk one time and have a fight with your girlfriend or a stranger? If there is any record, even if an arrest isn't made, the judge will probably not give them a license.

Archived