Should the O'S bring back Alejandro De Aza?

Diehard_O's_Fan

Same here. I don't get the De Aza love.

The De Aza love comes from him having one good month with us. If he played the entire season for us, I'm sure people would have rioted against him like they did with Lough, since both started off badly in the first half.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Along with Parades, DeAza is a guy I'd like the Os to "coach" up. I know he is prone to making costly gaffs (according to a CWS fan post here) but let's let our coaches have at them both and see if some focus and improved fundamentals unlock some more growth.

You can't coach instincts.

K.

But if his instincts were that bad, would he have gotten as much playing time as he did?

I think an organization change for him, and learning to do things differently than he was accustomed to in Chicago can yield positive results.

Yes I know Buck let's guys go with their gut, but with different guidance and stronger emphasis on problem areas, it is possible to grow.

Same here. I don't get the De Aza love.
The De Aza love comes from him having one good month with us. If he played the entire season for us, I'm sure people would have rioted against him like they did with Lough, since both started off badly in the first half.

He has speed.

He's a lefty.

He hit, contributed early in his time here - and managed to hit in the playoffs.

I didn't think much of it when we acquired him, especially after remembering our CWS series in Chicago where he went through some horrific slump against lefties, but he jumped right in to the magic the Os season had (until the ALCS).

He has speed.

He's a lefty.

He hit, contributed early in his time here - and managed to hit in the playoffs.

I didn't think much of it when we acquired him, especially after remembering our CWS series in Chicago where he went through some horrific slump against lefties, but he jumped right in to the magic the Os season had (until the ALCS).

Other than the playoffs, Lough literally did all of those things.

I honestly can't understand why people seem to prefer De Aza to Lough. Is there an actual concrete statistic we're using to make that decision or is it just the eye test?

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3371&position=OF - DeAza

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7215&position=OF - Lough

De Aza wOBA 2013/2014 - 98 / 94

Lough wOBA 2013 / 2014 - 97 / 95

Both players have rough splits facing LHP. De Aza is older, but not old. De Aza has an edge offensively, but it really isn't very much unless we're assuming 2015 will be a bounceback year. Lough is without a doubt the superior defender and costs significantly less.

There's a reason De Aza was playing everyday down the stretch, including the playoffs, and Lough rode the bench. Lough is simply not that good. An opposing manager would never make a pitching change because of Lough. They would because of De Aza.

There's a reason De Aza was playing everyday down the stretch, including the playoffs, and Lough rode the bench. Lough is simply not that good. An opposing manager would never make a pitching change because of Lough. They would because of De Aza.

Wasn't the reason he rode the bench was because he was in the doghouse? He played better in the 2nd half but he was already nothing but a pinch runner/defender in Bucks eyes. Plus, I don't think Buck really pays attention to metrics like WAR, which shows that Lough actually did give us quite a bit value even if it wasn't so evident in the standard numbers.

I honestly can't understand why people seem to prefer De Aza to Lough. Is there an actual concrete statistic we're using to make that decision or is it just the eye test?

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3371&position=OF - DeAza

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7215&position=OF - Lough

De Aza wOBA 2013/2014 - 98 / 94

Lough wOBA 2013 / 2014 - 97 / 95

Both players have rough splits facing LHP. De Aza is older, but not old. De Aza has an edge offensively, but it really isn't very much unless we're assuming 2015 will be a bounceback year. Lough is without a doubt the superior defender and costs significantly less.

It boils down to this: Lough made a lousy impression his first month on the job (at the plate, anyway), while de Aza made a great one. And people have a hard time changing their first impressions.

Archived