MLBTradeRumors projects Cruz at 4/70

AlbionHero

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Cruz: No doubt <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> are my 1st choice. I'd love to be back. I know they're interested in bringing me back. I love the city, my teammates</p>— MLB Network Radio (@MLBNetworkRadio) <a href="

">November 5, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowfullscreen="" style="display: block; max-width: 99%; min-width: 220px; padding: 0px; border-top-left-radius: 5px; border-top-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; margin: 10px 0px; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; box-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.14902) 0px 1px 3px; position: static; visibility: visible; width: 500px;" title="Embedded Tweet" height="0"></iframe>

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm sure if each and every MLB team offered him a 4/60 deal he'd be a Baltimore Oriole once again.<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

The best place for Cruz is to play in OPACY. The short power allies help his HR total. Much like they did for Davis in 13.

http://www.fangraphs.com/spraycharts.aspx?playerid=2434&position=OF&type=battedball&pid2=2434&ss1=2012&se1=2013&ss2=2014&se2=2014&cht1=battedball&cht2=battedball&vs1=ALL&vs2=ALL

He pretty much had the same number of gap HR's last year as he did in 12-13 combined. 4/60 sounds good to me. Buck managed to keep him healthy. If he goes somewhere with a huge deal, he's going to have a ton of expectations and the steroid talk will pop up. I think we'll make the deal close enough to others to sign him and just hope that Cruz wants to stay in Baltimore.

Short power alleys help everyone's power. They don't much change anyone's value. Pretty much every GM has some understanding of park effects.

The best place for Cruz is to play in OPACY. The short power allies help his HR total. Much like they did for Davis in 13.

http://www.fangraphs.com/spraycharts.aspx?playerid=2434&position=OF&type=battedball&pid2=2434&ss1=2012&se1=2013&ss2=2014&se2=2014&cht1=battedball&cht2=battedball&vs1=ALL&vs2=ALL

He pretty much had the same number of gap HR's last year as he did in 12-13 combined. 4/60 sounds good to me. Buck managed to keep him healthy. If he goes somewhere with a huge deal, he's going to have a ton of expectations and the steroid talk will pop up. I think we'll make the deal close enough to others to sign him and just hope that Cruz wants to stay in Baltimore.

In the same # of games home and away last year, Cruz hit 15 HRs with a .783 OPS at home and 25 HRs with a .930 OPS on the road.

I'm sure if each and every MLB team offered him a 4/60 deal he'd be a Baltimore Oriole once again.<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

If nobody is willing to go to the 4th year, I think he'll be an Oriole once again.

In the same # of games home and away last year, Cruz hit 15 HRs with a .783 OPS at home and 25 HRs with a .930 OPS on the road.

Good point. But the Al West has some huge ballparks. Probably not that big of deal considering its only 36 games. I see Seattle and Detroit being our biggest competition in the AL. Both big ballparks, which means less offense and more defense. Just hoping the Mets don't pull a Mets.

That makes it sound like Ortiz was paid $16 million during his prime. Ortiz is making $16 million this coming season.

I didn't mean to imply that. In fact, I think Boston took care of him somewhat based on past performance and because he's consider one of the main cogs. Also, the vesting options are team friendly if not renegotiated. Although, I can't imagine that blowhard keeping quiet and playing under those terms if he continues to produce.

Good point. But the Al West has some huge ballparks. Probably not that big of deal considering its only 36 games. I see Seattle and Detroit being our biggest competition in the AL. Both big ballparks, which means less offense and more defense. Just hoping the Mets don't pull a Mets.

This will be the last deal for Cruz. He won't care where his money plays at. He has no legacy to protect. He is already a PED guy. And he worked for free for a year for this.

Lol. You would be signing him for his age 35,36,37 and 38 year old seasons. That is the wrong side of 35. Now if you could make that his age 34, 33, 32 and 31 year old seasons, you would be correct. Semantics is correct.

No, because next year is considered Cruz's age 34 season. He's 34 today and "baseball age" is considerd to be however old you are on June 30. So Cruz makes the cutoff by a day.

Let's not get caught up in semantics, however. Offerering 4/$70 mm to a player whose birthday is 7/1/80 is pretty crazy.

No, because next year is considered Cruz's age 34 season. He's 34 today and "baseball age" is considerd to be however old you are on June 30. So Cruz makes the cutoff by a day.

Let's not get caught up in semantics, however. Offerering 4/$70 mm to a player whose birthday is 7/1/80 is pretty crazy.

Cruz illustrates the silliness of the baseball age concept. I know I use that all the time, but we'd be better off if bb-ref just added a decimal point or two to the ages listed next to each year's numbers. And allowed searching on those ranges. Next year might be Cruz' age 34 season but it's just about as valid to call it his age 35.

And Manny is almost in the same situation, born 6 July...

If SEA and/or TEX offered 4/70 think he'd go there for the extra 10M? Who's more likely to get to the WS in the next 3 years?

Seattle would have as good or better chance than the O's if Cruz leaves us to go to them. They barely missed the playoffs this year.

Archived