It's time to get on anyone's Train

fastball

Did we lose any one of our starters? Except for Miller, who we acquired near the end of the season, has our BP changed that much for the worse?

It's all about the pitching.

Amen!

Our powerhouse lineup over the past few years has some people expecting a superstar/all star at every position. That just isn't a normal thing. Its pitching that wins titles, and aside from Miller, we are returning the entire staff.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Signed FA Wei-Yin Chen January 10

Traded with Colorado for Jason Hammel and Matt Lindstrom February 6

Signed FA Miguel Gonzalez March 4

Signed FA Delmon Young January 14

Signed FA Ubaldo Jimenez February 19

Signed FA Nelson Cruz February 24

We've seen the patient approach work before.

There is only one free agent that can make a definitive difference.

Max Scherrzer. FanGraphs in depth analysis.

Summary at the end:

I am not a big fan of 6+, $150M+ contracts for almost any starting pitcher. As good as Kershaw and Hernandez are ? they are exceptional bat-missers, control artists and contact managers ? the Dodgers and Mariners are both looking at a pretty daunting risk/reward curve on their contracts. As an extreme fly ball guy, Scherzer?s future is largely dependent upon his ability to continue to control fly ball authority. Somewhere along his personal aging curve, that horse is going to get out of the barn and spark a downturn. There are no signs of this occurring imminently, however. While his won-lost record has been propped up a bit by the Tigers? exceptional offense, Scherzer?s ERA has been hurt by their defensive weakness. If he earns his free agent payday from a club with a spacious outfield and a strong team defense, a healthy Scherzer can be a force into his mid-thirties.

His price would have to drop big time. If it did, the MFY's would surely see to it he does not become an Oriole.

Did we lose any one of our starters? Except for Miller, who we acquired near the end of the season, has our BP changed that much for the worse?

Very good point. I think it's often overlooked how good our pitching and defense is. This is the main reason I feel the O's are still the best team in the AL East right now, the way it looks on paper.

It's never "all" about the pitching. You have to outscore your opponents, no matter how few runs you allow. And I do think there is a risk our pitching will regress a bit.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/yankees-prospect-ty-hensley-recovering-attack/

I'm not worried about our pitching. As Frobby stated, and I will reiterate, you have to score some runs. I do not believe many of our opponents have improved much in run scoring. It's hard without the juices.

Oh, come on. I was hardly being literal. Thank you both for pointing out that we have to score runs to win ball games.

Oh, come on. I was hardly being literal. Thank you both for pointing out that we have to score runs to win ball games.

I was supporting your view that our pitching would be fine. In fact, with Matt Wieters replacing Cruz, though obviously not ALL of his homers, and De Aza replacing Markakis...we should be ok offensively as is. Plus I will suspect that we will add someone else.

I was supporting your view that our pitching would be fine. In fact, with Matt Wieters replacing Cruz, though obviously not ALL of his homers, and De Aza replacing Markakis...we should be ok offensively as is. Plus I will suspect that we will add someone else.

Per my OP, my contention is that our offense is good enough with the people you've named and possibly a bounce in production from Davis and a full season from Manny. Our pitching and defense is what kept us in games though.

I wouldn't mind adding someone but I'm not sure it's necessary.

I don't hate the people, I hate the ridiculously naive and unrealistic line of thought.

Like, life sucks. In your life you'd be insanely lucky lucky if 5% of the things that happen to you end with a positive result, so why in the name of anything would you set yourself up to be disappointed with the ridiculous optimism and apologetic line of thinking?

You guys with that thought process think the Orioles are the most talented team in the majors, and you think De Aza is an all star, and you think everything is going to go according to plan. News flash: life sucks, things aren't going to go the way you hope. Why is this not recognized? We are not going to get 162 games out of every starting position player. I'm so sick of the "returning player from injury is like an addition" mantra. No, it's not. All of those players were on the team last year and all of them sans Wieters played at least half of the season.

Bud, not everyone shares your depressive, mopey, DOSOMETHING!!! attitude towards the Orioles approach to the offseason. Why would they care what you think about being positive and having trust in the front office any more than you care about why they have hope in the first place? Constantly throwing negative fuel on the fire doesn't help any fan here.

I don't hate the people, I hate the ridiculously naive and unrealistic line of thought.

Like, life sucks. In your life you'd be insanely lucky lucky if 5% of the things that happen to you end with a positive result, so why in the name of anything would you set yourself up to be disappointed with the ridiculous optimism and apologetic line of thinking?

You guys with that thought process think the Orioles are the most talented team in the majors, and you think De Aza is an all star, and you think everything is going to go according to plan. News flash: life sucks, things aren't going to go the way you hope. Why is this not recognized? We are not going to get 162 games out of every starting position player. I'm so sick of the "returning player from injury is like an addition" mantra. No, it's not. All of those players were on the team last year and all of them sans Wieters played at least half of the season.

Jeez, no wonder you always have such a negative outlook on the Orioles. I'm really sorry your life sucks so bad and things never work out the way you want. I'm pretty grateful for my life, and things go the way I hope often enough for me to feel like there's a decent chance things with the Orioles will go well. I also think Buck and Dan are damned good at planning for the contingencies. That's why we were able to win 96 games last year with our catcher and third baseman injured for at least half the season and our first baseman having a terrible season. So, like you, I expect some things to go wrong this year viz. players getting hurt or having bad seasons, but unlike you (apparently), I have confidence in our GM and manager's ability to cope with those kinds of issues. And towards that end, I don't think we've finished building our 2015 team now, nor do I expect Dan to sit idly for six months once the season starts.

Wow, I bet you're a blast at parties:D What is your reaction to the O's success over the past three years? Doesn't that give just a little confidence in the leadership team for the O's.

Archived