The Orioles are the Oakland Athletics of the East

Uli2001

I do not believe in Scherzer type contracts, but Orioles beat the Tigers due to incompetent managing by Detroit and because for a WHOLE 3 games they outplayed Detroit, even with 1/3 of team unavailable. Talk about a small sample size, this is the textbook one. Isay lets take the next step and win it all in 2015 and beyond. We can do it with WISE spending, not Reckless spending and absurd long term contracts.

That's not really true. Detroit struggled during the second half of the season, almost losing the division to the Royals. The O's win because the same problems that plagued Detroit during the regular season, got them in the post season. Not a particularly deep talent, just top loaded talent. And a horrible bullpen. And horrible defense. And almost all of those problems can be attributed to the fact that they rely purely on the FA market. They don't draft well, don't develop well, and have a huge % of their payroll tied up into a few players, thereby preventing them from addressing their needs on the FA market.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's not really true. Detroit struggled during the second half of the season' date=' almost losing the division to the Royals. The O's win because the same problems that plagued Detroit during the regular season, got them in the post season. Not a particularly deep talent, just top loaded talent. And a horrible bullpen. And horrible defense. And almost all of those problems can be attributed to the fact that they rely purely on the FA market. They don't draft well, don't develop well, and have a huge % of their payroll tied up into a few players, thereby preventing them from addressing their needs on the FA market.[/quote']

Yet they dominated and won a WS recently. If the Orioles go on to win the WS on their current moneyball strategy (which I hope they do) then call me a believer. The A's were not able to do it and they put together pretty good teams.

The short series in the playoffs mean that whoever has the best starting pitching and power hitters usually prevails. And these are expensive pieces.

Yet they dominated and won a WS recently. If the Orioles go on to win the WS on their current moneyball strategy (which I hope they do) then call me a believer. The A's were not able to do it and they put together pretty good teams.

The short series in the playoffs mean that whoever has the best starting pitching and power hitters usually prevails. And these are expensive pieces.

Huh? Tigers haven't won anything since '84.

It's a statistical argument. But baseball is a quite predictable sport. The big spender will beat the moneyballer in the playoffs "9 times out of 10." Let's not forget either that the Orioles had Cruz and Miller on the cheap last year. That is not likely to happen often.

An MLB team won't beat a AAA team 9 times out of 10.

The question should be: does anyone want to win a title or two in the next decade?

I am not saying this is a good system, I am saying it's the reality of baseball. The best players are very expensive and you need them to win.

Like Adam Jones and JJ Hardy? Or better than them?

I swear there is a large group of people here who see it as more important that we spend a lot of money than win games.

I can't speak for the rest, but I still want the Orioles to get one legit left handed (or switch hitting) bat capable of DH/OF, and it has very little to do with how much said player is getting paid. I'd be happy with David Peralta for example, he's relatively making peanuts.

By the way, the Tampa Bay Rays are the Oakland As of the East, c'mon.

The Orioles aren't the equivalent of the A's. The A's constantly look for creative ways to overcome their limited financial resources, while the Orioles stand ideally by and do nothing. Whether Billy Beane's offseason makeover works remains to be seen, but I applaud him for trying.

The Orioles aren't the equivalent of the A's. The A's constantly look for creative ways to overcome their limited financial resources, while the Orioles stand ideally by and do nothing. Whether Billy Beane's offseason makeover works remains to be seen, but I applaud him for trying.

So, you're philosophy is just make moves whether they work out in the long run or not. Glad we don't have a GM that believes in this way of doing business. I'll stick with our track record since DD has shown up

Archived